Limerick GAA - Box Office

I would have dropped Hickey for sure if he didn’t show some signs of form. Based on the last two seasons, as well as club form, he doesn’t deserve to start. But he has a serious amount of talent, especially under a high ball and his All-Star was well-deserved in 2014. Obviously it was only Kerry, but he looked sharp. Worth a go at wing-back in the league… and that could free up Hegarty to go centre-back maybe (or into the forwards).

I wouldn’t say Hannon was anonymous, he got on the ball a bit. But we didn’t learn anything about whether he’s suitable for centre-back. We need to know whether he’s going to be able to stop the likes of Bonner and Gleeson and Harnedy rampaging through the middle, or whether he’s going to offer that extra bit of protection to the full-back, unlike the last two years.

True about Jim-Bob, lined up at 12 for puckouts but seemed to be operating as a third midfielder for most of his time on the pitch. Talk of him slowing down is absolute shit, he outran everyone on the pitch I’d say; I’d be very surprised if we don’t find a place for him there.

Centre-forward is definitely Morrissey’s position, good work rate from there too. Scored a few nice points but I do think he’ll have to be a viable ballwinner and direct runner if he wants to start there. Has the raw materials though.

Could be confirmation bias on my part, but I think yesterday’s match was a perfect example of why Hayes isn’t a forward. Had a few chances to take a score which didn’t come off, and while he went on one great surging run and set up a goal another time, he’s just so much better attacking the ball and finding a pass. Nice bit of aggression too, although he got his nose bust open by some Kerry back.

Nash is serious, just need to pick his best position. Been mostly played inside for his goalscoring ability, but I wonder would he be more effective running from deep.

Casey looked class, need to see him against a sticky corner-back though.

I didn’t think Lynch was that great by his own high standards, few really nice things but seemed to do a lot better when he drifted out to between the half-forward and full-forward lines. Couple of needless flicks losing possession too.

And Richie was excellent but we learned nothing because we all know he’s very good as the spare man, he’s a fine natural hurler. What we need to know is he able to live with a full-forward like Callanan or Reid or even McDonald. Because I don’t think many teams will be playing one and two-man full-forward lines this year.

Where is Barry Nash’s best position? Looks like full forward maybe? That means Dowling can only start in the half forward line, provided he can move around better than the last two years. Morrissey I do think his best position is at no. 11 running directly through the centre. I would like to see Cian Lynch played at midfield, maybe beside Browne and alternating with Jim Bob who can be at 12 for the puck outs but retreating back into midfield allowing Lynch to drift into open spaces. So I would say from midfield up a good mix would be this IMO:

Browne
C Lynch
Dowling
Morrissey
Jim Bob
AN Other
Nash
AN Other

Possibility that Dempsey makes 12 instead of Jim Bob of course. Corner forwards looking like Mulcahy and Peter Casey right now.

I love the way the limerick lads are discounting everyone bar Tipp kilkenny and themselves. This only a week after getting a 23 point trimming from Cork.

2 Likes

@ciarancareyshurlingarmy '@dodgy_keeper @Julio_Geordio

Any of ye have the programme from yesterday? Some fucker stole mine, but I think it listed the extended football panel… I think I saw Andrew Ruddle, Sean Sheahan and Tony McCarthy but who else is on it?

I don’t know how you got that from that post, to be honest, I’m worried more about Waterford than anyone.

All the "we’ll have to see how x goes against (insert kk or Tipp player here) before we can judge him.
Limerick lads are amongst the top three as equals in their heads.

Forget about Tipp anyway, they’re gone. Kilkenny on the wane. Waterford will be strong again. Limerick will show most improvement.

Just absolute respect for the games royalty, saying Bill Cooper doesn’t have the same effect.

On closer look he mentioned six players, two tipp, 1 KK, 1 Waterford, 1 Cork and 1 Wexford.

Lying in the gutter but looking up at the stars. The Limerick way.

2 Likes

Ye could learn from us.

1 Like

:rollseyes:

We expect to win all Ireland after trimming a depleted Kerry in the Munster league . If Clare beat us a point in June people will be seeking to have management lined up before a firing squad .

A junior ccha left our program behind.

Barry Lynch should be in there. I think Ruddle, Sheehan & McCarthy are involved.
Were Seanie Buckley, Padraig Scanlon & Ian Ryan listed?

Gone from 2016 would be Colm Moran, Stephen Cahill, Tommy Childs, Mike Donovan, Hugh Bourke, Eoin Hogan

I didn’t buy one yesterday, pal. Sorry.

McCarthy done the warm up.

Dara o Donovan was the one bright spark from last year. Hell be starting this year.

Can’t remember if those three were injured.

Why isn’t Tommy Childs on the panel? Not picked or not interested? Hugh Bourke as well seems to be going very well for the 21s.

Not sure. Would strengthen panel further if they & Donovan were on board

Yeah, someone like Childs would have been perfect to even come on and offer something in the middle third.

I might go along to that game on Wednesday night. Are there any of the 21s involved in the current senior panel? Maybe Lee plans to let them off with the 21s until they’re knocked out.

3 21s were involved Sunday, Fanning, B Donovan, Ryan