Limerick GAA. Don't be sad. Another 45 won't be so bad. Limited heartbreak

Wasnt much in it. Two yellows would have been sufficient.

I think you need glasses brother.

Watch the footage. Flanagan did more than pull Ryan’s facegaurd. He got two nice belts away too and struck the other Wexford lad that grabbed him too. And he was dead right after the sly dunt that Ryan gave lynch into the hoardings. Take no shit.

Malachy was itching for a bit of flaking! :laughing:

This Limerick team will back each man, Liam Ryan could have seriously injured Lynch when there was no need, typical sly shite from a wexican. They got plenty back again today, this Limerick team will mix it if you want.

1 Like

Ryan hit Lynch shoulder to shoulder, fairly but Lynch hits hoarding. Yellow

Flanagan hit Ryan in the back driving him into the hoarding. Red. Grabbed facemask, Red. :man_shrugging:

I’m not debating that flanagan’s wasn’t a red, it was. I actually stated that he did more than simply pull the facegaurd, he struck with the fist at least once and struck with the hurley at short length twice.

I’ve no problem with the red and I’ve absolutely no problem with what Flanagan did either as Ryan’s dunt into Lynch was late and sneaky. I think Horgan sent Ryan off for just being a sneaky cunt (he should have only got a yellow)

2 Likes

It was an on the ball challenge, shoulder to shoulder.
Flanagan’s hit was far worse.

Fairly sure that the ball was out of play and Lynch had his back turned.

fairly?

Sorry mate i’m not as well versed in watching games live on the couch as yourself.

2 Likes

Ball was gone a good second or more, Lynch wasn’t even on the field of play and it wasn’t shoulder to shoulder either. It was also the second or third such incident in a few minutes where few wexicans were doing the cunt with late challenges.

Again, not arguing regarding Flanagan. He struck Ryan twice with the hurley held short and struck with the fist once

It was not shoulder to shoulder, it was a shoulder in the back when they were well over the line. It was intentional and could have caused a nasty injury. Flanagan’s was a red but he was right not to let the cunt away with it.

Just watched the highlights, stupid from Flanagan really. But sure these are the games to you can get away with that kind of stuff I suppose. Dowling-esque goal from Gillane. He looks set to build on last year.

1 Like

It would be more in the wexicans line to practice sideline cuts. They were woeful with them in the first half.

Worst I ever saw .

They don’t have a bit of cut about them

:smile:

Stupid is being polite. Limericks are up on a pedestal now and they’ll have to learn fast.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day out; Wexford Park is a grand oul ground. The pitch itself was in absolute shit, but decent setup. It wasn’t high on quality, but it was an absorbing contest: a fair bit of needle, bad blood from Boston? Obviously it’s January but the conditions really were shit- ground was cutting up very badly, very noticeable on the touchline in front of me on the stand side. I think Firman might have done his ankle because of it, and Condon went over on his at one point too.

The wind was very strong, and tbh, we should have been further ahead at half-time. The goals were sloppy enough to concede and we hit some bad wides. 3 points didn’t seem like a great lead considering the conditions, but we managed to eke it out. I think individually a lot of players did well in patches but there was very few there was a 70-minute performance from, and we struggled badly to get scores in the second half against the wind & sweeper.

Wexford do make things very hard for teams, but their own scoring threat is also very poor. In the first half, I actually thought the red cards helped us towards the end of the half as Casey & Gillane were able to exploit the extra space. In the second half, we couldn’t move the ball similarly into the wind and they ended up just being isolated. Midfield & half-forward line struggled to get up the field in support, bar Hego & Lynch really.

Quaid is as safe as a house. One really great catch over his crossbar, solid save when he had to make it. No real chance with the goals. One bad puckout to Condon which cost us a score.

Watching Condon drive forward in the first half was a thing of beauty, setting up the score for Casey. He’d probably have gone for it himself a few years ago, he was very good in the first half. Did miscontrol that bad puckout from Quaid, he probably shouldn’t have got dispossessed. Finn wasn’t tested overly much. English was pretty good, probably the pick of that line, although Dunbar did him with the sidestep for his goal.

I thought the half-back line was excellent but at the same time, both Wexford goals came from breaks in behind them and it’s probably a lot easier being a half-back when you can outnumber the forwards. Still, Dan always seems to make the right decision, Hannon hurled well and Byrnes stood up, won his contests and nailed some big frees in the second half when we really really needed him. Absolutely vital.

Malachy started well, I really like how he gets his head up and he set up a good few scores as a result. Lovely sideline right into Gillane’s paw for a point in the first half, another that was flicked home by Gillane but was disallowed and obviously scored one too. Faded in the second half and I just can’t see him being picked as a starter here. Always a good impact sub though. DOD made a big impact from the bench and again, nailed the sideline at a really vital time to stretch the lead back out to 2. Lynch was far from his best but still got through a lot of work.

I thought the half-forward line were very deep and maybe didn’t have the legs in the conditions to get up & down. Morrissey was decent, busy; Dempsey worked hard but faded also. Had a great chance for a goal, good save by Fanning but again Dempsey went too high. Murphy was busy off the bench and got the insurance score at the end, a very nice one actually.

Hegarty was just immense, man of the match by a mile. The heartbeat of the team, he just keeps going. The flick to English in the second half was just glorious, sublime skill :heart_eyes: Won some vital frees in the second half and got his own score eventually too. Unrale.

Gillane’s goal was claaaaaaass. He missed some very easy chances, including frees, but also scored some very hard ones. There was one no-look shot over the shoulder which he had no right to score but managed to put it over the black spot. Also a fantastic catch over Fanning & the full-back in the first half; if he had any support, it would have been a goal. Worked hard throughout, but seemed to run out of steam and was surprised he wasn’t subbed.

Casey showed his class in the first half too, some great points but also struggled in the second half as the ball didn’t go in. Flanagan had started pretty well, was a real handful and got one nice score before the red. Didn’t really see it from my vantage point, only looked like handbags to me. Pat Ryan didn’t do anything really when he came on, thought his positioning was a bit of a mistake. If he had been closer to goal, he could have used his pace to win low ball rather than having him contest high ball and a spent Gillane doing hard running.

Still, a good win. Was pretty convinced the second Wexford goal was a square ball. Wexford folk pretty friendly. Fella sitting behind me was very critical of Aidan Nolan throughout, although didn’t know his name, but really thought he was poor. Arguably unlucky not to sneak a draw, Conor McDonald hit the post and it would have been a lovely goal but overall, I thought we were marginally the better team. Wexford are quite limited in attack (obviously O’Connor & Chin would have made big differences today).

9 Likes