Limerick GAA. Don't be sad. Another 45 won't be so bad. Limited heartbreak

+1.

i’m even bored of winning… the next 4 years are gonna be a slog pretending to be happy.

They will. You’ll be like the kk lads I know, who used to book jury’s at croker every year on final weekend for the following year. It’ll be all, “look, I spose Waterford are a serious team like” .

I thought last season proved that Dowlings best position is a roaming half forward type. His vision, striking and runs from deep are best suited to out there. I thought his performance v Clare at 14 proved this even more. I think pat Ryan will replace seamus but I wouldn’t mind seeing gillane at 14 with Peter and Graeme in the two corners. It would mean a slightly different set up but it could bring even more out of gillane.

Strange Kiely left him sitting on his hands Sunday. I thought the game was crying out for him to come on, if not for Dempsey, then Tom who looked a bit gassed the amount of running he did in the muck and shit.

Ive a feeling its a fitness issue. He needs to be where he was an all ireland final day. You get the feeling the dow is sick he isn’t starting too so maybe kiely is just getting him more motivated again. He isn’t really a winter hurler either. In 2013 and 18 when he performed as the super sub it was in the big games he came into his own.

To be fair to Dowling the day in Ennis he was in a 2 man full forward line . He was class v Waterford in an orthodox FF line .

There is no fitness issue. He has the same done as the rest of them. Unfortunately for himself he doesn’t look like a fitness model so people question his fitness.

He hurls well enough for Na Piarsaigh in the winter when it gets down to it.

If it was a fitness issue you’d think getting minutes into the legs would be of a benefit to Kiely and Dowling

1 Like

You can’t really take anything this fella says about certain players at face value. He keeps going on about Dowling in the Clare game (and Dowling was far from our worst performer in that game) but you won’t get a mention of any of his favourite players that were simply counted missing that day. Our problems that day were far from the full forward line. He’ll argue til the cows come home while giving him faint praise that Dowling only suits a certain position, where he isn’t going to start. He does this all the time, “so and so doesn’t suit X position” (where they probably play most of their hurling), so that the player he likes in X position can maintain their place.

1 Like

I don’t agree at all fitness wise compared to early in the championship he was absolutely transformed. I don’t think the dow ever scales the heights as he does in the big games for limerick as he does for nap.

Dowling was very good v Clare. Worked his hole off. A lot of other lads went hiding that day but not the Dow,

If Dowling wasn’t one of the problems why was he completely dropped from the squad? Why did our form improve again the minute we changed back to gillane, flanagan and Graeme?

I wouldn’t fault his work rate just our style of play is not suited to any of his strengths at 14. Asking Dowling to run 40 yard sprints over and over again looking for the diagonal is not going to see him to best effect.

Also having the same work done as others Is Bolox. Some lads need to do a lot more than others. Rewarding a fella that isn’t at the required fitness level with playing time Isn’t kielys mantra this time of the year. Tom Condon is starting and is the fittest I’ve seen him in a good while.

It’s a pity Reidy is injured, what’s the story with Paul Browne? If he came back in and found a bit of form, I wonder would DOD ever be considered at half-forward again if we had an injury or two? Played a few games there early last year.

For me, Nash is the most natural replacement for Flanagan but it doesn’t look like he’s in contention, and wouldn’t have the same running as a natural part of his game. If Mulcahy doesn’t make it, I’d say Murphy has a very good chance of starting next weekend.

do you know for a fact what work Shane is or isn’t doing?
If he wasn’t fit enough he wouldn’t be on the subs. This is a myth that needs to stop now. Shane has never let Limerick down or Na Piarsaigh, for fitness. When asked to play he’s always performed to as high a standard as anyone else.

1 Like

Condon is fit but has another few pounds to lose yet to be honest. He wasn’t always as roundy looking and even though he is motoring well he looks bate into the jersey and there’s 2 fine clumps of meat still to go off his hips!

Those jerseys aren’t designed for roundy inclined lads.

1 Like

I’m not talking about letting people down. Dowling was never fitter than all ireland final day. If he’s in that shape he’ll be close to a starter.

Yep I’d agree but it’s some difference already.

It’s January mate. Fella’s aren’t going to be AI final fit in January…

I can assure you the man was fit enough for 20 minutes league hurling in January