We had 8 U-21s and they’re all footballers :wink:

2 Likes

Explaining =

Both of the East Junior A Championship games are off

Because of the weather?

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Weather so

Hopefully a club delegate brings forward a proposal at this months or next months county board meeting to change the club minor and u21 grades to U17 and U20 next year. Its rather nonsensical that some players on this years limerick minor hurling and football teams were playing in Post Primary schools hurling and football competitions, Inter-county minor/U17, minor/U18 club hurling and football and U21 club hurling and football. Also if this grade change doesn’t come into effect, players that are overage for Inter-county minor next year will be playing in Post Primary schools hurling and football competitions, minor/u18 club hurling and football, u21 club hurling and football as well as adult grade club hurling and football.

With regards to calling new players up to the Limerick senior hurling panel next year, the management team will have to take the Freshers, Fitzgibbon cup and the U21 club hurling (which will hopefully be changed to U20) competitions into account as all of these competitions are taking place when the national hurling league is in full swing. Some pig ignorant and uneducated people that have no knowledge or understanding of modern day hurling (excluding the TFK crew of course) are immediately calling for the inclusion of players who have set such high standards for themselves at underage level, on the senior Inter-county hurling panel and we have seen in the past that this has proven to be detrimental rather than beneficial to their long term development. For example if a player under the age of 20 is called up to the Limerick senior hurling panel next year, it means he’ll be playing hurling for three different teams in the months of January and February and altogether he’ll be playing for 5 different hurling teams throughout the year (Freshers i.e. if he is a first year college student, Fitzgibbon cup i.e. if he is a second year college student, U21 club, U20 Inter-county and Senior club and Inter-county) bearing in mind as well that he could also be a dual player. Elite young GAA players should be allowed develop accordingly which would greatly enhance their chances of fulfiling their potential at senior level in the future as opposed to being fastracked into a senior Inter-county set up at a very young age.

4 Likes

Just back from Kevin Long Park, Feenagh.

G/B 4-24 Drom/Broadford 0-10.

Vital win for injury ravaged Team G/B, first win of the campaign. There was six points in at half time before two goals at the start of the second half killed it. Tough day for Drom, hard for clubs with small picks to keep to show on the road with both hurling and football.

The group is now delicately poised ahead of the last two rounds. Effin, Glenroe and Hospital all on 4 points, Pats and G/B on 3 while D/B are still pointless.

Effin v G/B next Sunday night will be tantalizing.

I’m off out for afternoon pints.

2 Likes

Limerick GAA Results Sunday

COUNTY
Bon Secours Senior Hurling Championship Group 2:
Monaleen 0-22, Knockainey 2-15;

Lyons of Limerick Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship:
Bruree 3-12, Dromin-Athlacca 2-15;

Nick Greene Sportsgrounds Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2:
Granagh-Ballingarry 4-24, Drom-Broadford 0-10;

CITY
Junior B Hurling Championship;
Kildimo-Pallaskenry 2-16, Ballybrown 2-6;

CAMOGIE
Intermediate Championship Round 2:
Crecora 1-12, Murroe-Boher 1-5; Croagh-Kilfinny 2-10, Cappamore 0-13;

Senior B
Ballybrown 0-10 Murroe/Boher 0-9 HT

1 Like

Senior B
Ballybrown 1-21 Murroe/Boher 2-18
Draw fair result. Seanie Tobin gave an expedition tonight think he got 2-12 in total 2-2 from play. Shane Kenny Inside full forward scoring 1-3 was excellent aswell for Ballybrown.
Roll on next weekend :grin:

2 Likes

Ahane beat the Bouncers 3-09 to 1-13

1 Like

I like it. Add it to TFK lexicon immediately @Lazarus.

9 Likes

I went to see Monaleen v Knockainey, Monaleen by far the better team but were to pin of their collars to see off the South men - they’re dogged hoors and were in hard luck not to get at least a draw.

Have Murroe/Boher drawn all of their 3 games to date?

1 Like

The Well v Kilmallock next Friday 7:30 at HQ.

I was at the South derby in Kilmallock this afternoon between Bruree and Dromin/Athlacca; and there was a very decent crowd in attendance. Decent oul game, very tight throughout, plenty of physicality with a couple of bad enough strokes too.

Bruree put themselves in a position to win the game but just couldn’t see it out; this seems to be a re-occurring theme for them. They were 6 points up with 10 ten minutes to go, were well on top on the puckouts on both sides but began to sit deeper and deeper and Athlacca picked off the scores.

I must admit I was disappointed with Dromin/Athlacca, this was the first time I had seen them in Championship this year and would have put them down as title contenders but they weren’t great today. Shapeless for long periods and struggled to contain the Bruree forwards. I know derby matches can go like that but I still expected more.

D/A started the better team, lively corner-forward Adam Costello got an early goal for them and they went into a 6-point lead before Bruree had even settled. Bruree’s young corner-forward and great white hope, Sam Cronolly, turned over a Dromin/Athlacca back and rattled the back of the net which kind of woke them up a bit but David Reidy buried penalty a minute or two later after David Breen was fouled (this was a very questionable decision from Trevor Mann, had looked like good defending by Kieran O’Rourke).

But again, Bruree bounced back immediately with another goal from young Sam Cronolly. He was set up by Mike Lane, Mixer flicked the ball across to Crnolly who hit the first shot straight at the goalkeeper, but collected the rebound and rifled it into the roof of the net. It meant that 3 scores in a row were all goals and Bruree then picked off a few points to level things at 2-6 apiece at half-time.

They started the second half and Kieran O’Dea scored a penalty after Mixer was fouled and they went 6 points up. The likes of Ger O’Brien & Pa Deady hit some nice points from out the field, while D/A were very reliant on David Reidy frees. He had been quiet enough, but when they really needed him, they stood up. They were 5 points and he hit 3 superb scores from play to pull them back into it- one from way out on the left wing, one from way out on the right and one from the middle of the field. He is an absolutely sublime striker of the ball, the way breaks onto it and then lets fly, it just looks effortless.

Bruree dropped deeper and deeper and they got a couple more scores and Reidy was eventually set up by the experienced Paul Neenan (how is he still going?) and there was never any doubt that he was going to level it once he got it in space.

Still, I was disappointed with them. David Reidy was excellent in those final stages and his frees were decent, but young Sean O’Leary was very quiet bar one point from play. He started in midfield but swapped with Reidy in the second half. Paul Neenan is 43/44, I think, but caught some nice ball although he has no legs at all anymore. David Breen was a threat inside and the best of their other forwards, although Costello was lively too. Mike Reidy was quiet enough by his standards, got on some ball towards the end but that was more down to Bruree fellas managing to boom clearances down on top of him. Peter Ryan was missing, no sign of Tiernan Ryan either.

For Bruree, young Sam Cronolly got 2 goals and had the beating of his man but didn’t get the ball into him. James Vincent O’Brien is still going and is a wily old fox, another very good man to read a break. Jimmy O’Dea and Ger O’Brien were good too, but they just got a bit headless towards the end and probably didn’t have the subs to kick on home.

Decent game though, an enjoyable one for a neutral. It puts D/A on 5 points, with Bruree on 4 and both are in with a very good chance of making the semi-final with 3 games to play.

10 Likes

Great report @Aristotle :+1:

El Classico.

2 Likes

The two biggest clubs in Limerick hurling, United v Liverpool.

Na Piarsaigh are Man City, the new money.

Has any club in limerick a chance of rattling the top 4 in the hurling championship in years to come?