Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

What were you arguing about the other day then?

All the other arguments against it.

And the timing, I’ve changed my mind. It’s allowed

What other arguments? The timing of the trip coinciding with the county finals was the only argument

I think Oola had to wait five weeks to tonight though since their last match so not really some kind of record for NCW, unless you mean as regards a county final. So NCW have five weeks off to the final while Oola have four weeks. It’s probably much of a muchness in terms of difference in time off between them. In nine weeks then Oola will have had just one match (the semi final tonight) between group stage ending and county final is that right? You are right about the trip @anon32894817 it’s some shambles. I presume the Oola hurlers will go but “take it easy” on the drink. Not ideal.

Fuck off the thread you busy body.

Yep it’s a mess. Oola look to be a very good team and if they make it that far they’d rattle the Munster championship. They’ve goals in their team and a few very good subs to bring on too. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got into the Munster championship if they took a scalp. They badly need to take the shackles off and let the ball in but hopefully that’ll come with time.

Both teams would give a good account in Munster IMO

1 Like

4/6 last weekend. Got all the hurling ones right, but got the two football ones wrong.

The Well needed a bit of luck at times in the first half, but saw out the game fairly well in the second half, always looked comfortable. Lynch was very quiet in that first half but came into it in the second half. Gillane won ball but wasn’t a huge threat, they would need more from him if they want to win it out.

Kilmallock-NaP was closer than expected but the absence of Casey and Lynch’s red card meant that really Kilmallock should have won but just couldn’t see it out. NaP still not motoring fully but could still have enough to win it outright without hitting that top level, especially if Gillane is out.

Got the Premier prediction right too, Blackrock just ate Mungret alive in the second half; totally destroyed them on puckouts and Mungret let the head drops too easily, offered no response. We beat Bruff in the other game after extra-time.

Caherline beat Ballybricken/Bohermore in the East, as I thought they would; they just have a bit more.

In the football, Adare’s 3-in-a-row run was stopped by NCW. I thought Adare would win that one but Newcastlewest were the better team and had enough scoring forwards to do damage with the possession they had, although took advantage of a poor kickout to really bury them in the first half.

In the Intermediate, I thought Claughaun would edge it but fair play to Gerald Griffins; underdogs in two games and they’ve come out on top in both. Into a county final now, great place for them, chance to go senior! Claughaun will be very disappointed, they would have fancied themselves to win it outright with Rathkeale & St. Pat’s gone, but at least they’re still in the hurling.

1 Like

Bit early but what’s your initial prediction for the Oola NCW final

Who do Gerald Griffins meet in the intermediate final?

I predicted Oola last night; didn’t look likely at half-time but that goal threat I spoke about proved crucial. The first goal brought them back into the game and once they had momentum, they were able to get a stranglehold on the game.

Good mix of fixtures again this weekend in both codes, with some big knockout fixtures.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
Sunday September 29
Croom (10/11) vs Newcastlewest (11/10) @2.45pm in Bruff

Wednesday October 2
Glenroe vs Na Piarsaigh @7.30pm in Mick Neville Park

Newcastlewest have had a fine year so far, to reach a county final would be huge. Croom beat them by 6 in the second round of the group but NCW have improved since then with the quarter-final victory over Effin very impressive in nature. Croom slipped to Feohanagh in the final group game but still topped the group with relative ease. They were county finalists last year, but this will be a tough test against a young, hungry NCW side. Croom would have been my favourites for the county at the start of the year, and I’m going to stick with that, just about. I do think NCW have a great chance but I’m going to say Croom’s experience will get them over the line: having Conor Allis back this year is huge and have fellas like Conor Laffan & Mark Reidy in attack. But if NCW get running at this Croom team, they could definitely open them up, they have legs which Croom possibly lack. Padge Brennan, Marcus Cregan, Razor, not much pace in these guys at the back while NCW have Nix, the Hurleys, Diarmuid Kelly if they use him who are willing to take their men on.

In the other game, Glenroe are the great underachievers at this grade, losing in semi-finals in 2015, 2016 and last year and losing the final in 2017. They would have been fancied to win a lot of those matches. They topped the group this year despite losing to Hospital/Herbertstown but both the other sides in their group lost their quarters. Na Piarsaigh slipped to Croom and to Knockaderry in the last game but just had too much for H/H. Glenroe do have a tough, strong backline with JBM, Fox, Gallahue & Brian O’Connell but probably rely on Mark O’Connell and Junior Walsh to do the majority of their scoring. Na Piarsaigh have a very young team: the likes of Adam Mac, Reuben McCarthy, Kieran Daly and I think Emmet McEvoy aswell, who is a serious talent. Then you have James O’Brien at centre-back, Shep at full-forward lending experience, not to mention intercounty footballer Gordon Browne who was a regular for the senior hurlers last year. I think Na Piarsaigh could surprise Glenroe.

Intermediate Hurling Relegation Final
Sunday September 29
Drom/Broadford (7/4) vs Tournafulla (1/2) @2pm in Feohanagh

Almost forgot about this one! The big West derby, the relegation play-off. Tour were just promoted and after one great result against Knockaderry were in a very god position. Weren’t able to pick up another win and other results didn’t go their way. Drom/Broadford lost all their games but would have known they were targeting this match a long way. They survived at senior in the football, can they do the same in the hurling? I think Tour are better hurlers tbh- Hartnett, the Moroneys, Eoin O’Sullivan; they are handy players. They do miss Stevie Cahill but have enough there, and Shaughs is a decent coach. D/B still rely on Derry McCarthy hugely and while Damien Burke is a nice addition, I think Tour will get the win. Should be a right battle all the same.

Junior Hurling Championship Quarter-Finals
Saturday September 28
Caherline vs Croagh/Kilfinny @2.30pm in Claughaun
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Claughaun @4pm in Askeaton
Kilmallock vs Ballybricken/Bohermore @4pm in Bruff
Patrickswell vs Killeedy @4pm in Ballingarry

It’s a pity all these quarters are on at practically the same time. The standout fixture in my eyes is the one at half 2 between Caherline and Croagh/Kilfinny. The East champions against one of the lively young sides from the West. Caherline do have plenty of experience in their ranks, Brennan and those boys are still soldiering on, as well as some younger fellas coming through but I do like the look of C/K with the likes of O’Brien & Lenihan. Play a decent style of hurling and I think they might win this.

Honestly, I expect the other games not to be as close. I just think Castletown/Ballyagran will be way too strong for Claughaun, they’ve been the form team in the entire Championship this year and should have way too much firepower for a hard-working but limited Claughaun side. Similarly, I don’t see Ballybricken/Bohermore causing too much trouble for Kilmallock. And Killeedy might not have reached the South/West final but they disposed of what I think was a much stronger Patrickswell side very easily last year and I think they’ll do similar this year.

Intermediate Football Championship Semi-Final
Saturday September 28
Mungret (10/11) vs Galtee Gaels (evens) @3,45pm in Kilmallock (Mungret were 13/8)

A huge chance for both these sides to make a county final; I don’t remember either of these sides ever being in a final at this grade before. Galtee Gaels were junior champions in 2017 and while Mungret have been in quarter-finals and semi-finals, they haven’t made it to a final in my memory. The group game between the two was a draw, so you would expect this to be close. Galtee Gaels do rely a lot on the two Childs brothers, Tommie at midfield, Bob at full-forward but have the likes of McGrath & the Gallahues who are handy players too. Mungret are very comfortable in possession, I do think that Brendan Giltenane is missing who will be a loss but they still have Shane Barry, Pa Begley et al. I think they look better coached tbh and if they can get the short kickouts away and avoid kicking on top of Childs, I reckon they have a better spread of scorers and will get the win.

So:

Intermediate Hurling- Croom & Na Piarsaigh
Intermediate Hurlling Relegation- Tour
Junior Hurling- Croagh/Kilfinny, Castletown/Ballyagran, Kilmallock, Killeedy
Intermediate Football- Mungret

3 Likes

Which games you trying to get to tomorrow?

Great scenes in MNP this morning as G/B overcome a battling Kildimo/Pallaskenry side to claim the u16 13-a-side county title.

Terrific game of hurling, G/B edging it 3-13 to 1-15.

The two clubs meet in the minor B county semi next week too.

Strange to see those 2 clubs playing 13 a side.
We played GB in a challenge last weekend and they were impressive. Plenty of big men with lots of hurling.

I’m actually unavailable to make any either today or tomorrow; I’d be down in Bruff otherwise tomorrow and Claughaun today.

:cry:

We’ve some excellent players at that level, just really struggling for numbers. Couple of matches we only had 11/12.

I actually reckon that had we even a couple more players at that age, we’d give the 15-a-side county a good go.

We’d only 14 ourselves today. Tough for the smaller clubs to keep the show on the road.

Few nice prospects on both sides.

We beat Doon in the premier shield final at that grade today too. Very good side including the monstrous Ethan Hurley and some nice other players. Doon a very good side also as always

Honestly, between the two villages, we should have enough to field 15 at the age. There’s been a bit of a drop-off over the past couple of years which is a pity. We have decent numbers at 14s, but we’re relying on a few of them to even give us a 13-a-side team.

I didn’t make it back today, disappointing though, would have been nice to do the double even if it is 13-a-side. We’ve a fella O’Farrell who is very handy, big into his rugby too though; young Fitzgerald from Pallas is a lovely hurler, think he scored the goal today and one of the 14s, McMahon, he’ll be a serious player in time. Few other good ones too.

Gaels were last in the intermediate final back around 06, lost to NCW

2 Likes