Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Most talented, yes. Needs a lot of work though.

I think he is very good . He was just finished the leaving at that stage and had a long winter hurling

he has plenty of time… the good thing about where Limerick Seniors are now is that there is no rush bringing anyone through, let them develop on the panel but it’ll not need rushing

1 Like

Darren O Connell is surely ahead of all three. It’s probably a tale of what ifs with regards his inter county career at this stage but he’s consistently the best forward in limerick outside of the senior clubs. I know it’s a different ball game at inter county level but he’s got beautiful balance, an eye for goal and speed. Surely worth a look.

1 Like

Fair happy I got involved with the team this year. Sandy Lane is gonna be class can’t wait

2 Likes

Enjoy it mate

Just been hanging around the team all year. Followed Cian Lynch home one evening. Feel like I’ve earned it tbh

From the class of 1999 Mikey O’Brien (who made the championship panel this year), Conor Nicholas, Jerome Boylan (who would have made the championship panel this year were it not for the injury he sustained earlier on in the year), Dan Minehan, Michael O’Grady, Rory Duff, Ronan Connolly, Paul O’Brien and David Woulfe are all good enough to play senior Inter-county hurling. All of these players will be playing in the Fitzbibbon cup next year and if the club U21 hurling championship isn’t changed to U20 and if any of these players do receive a call up to the Limerick senior hurling panel, they’ll be facing the prospect of playing hurling for three different teams in the months of January and February. As I mentioned in a post earlier on in the week, the modern day demands of GAA players in their late teens, early twenties is nothing short of ridiculous.

From the class of 2000, Dylan O’Shea, Brian O’Grady, Josh Considine and Jason Gillane as an outfield player are all good enough to play senior Inter-county hurling but all of these players are underage for the Limerick U20 hurling team again next year so in an ideal world they shouldn’t be called up to the Limerick senior hurling panel for at least another year as it would be a lot more beneficial for their long term development if they concentrated on club and Inter-county commitments at their own age grade.

2 Likes

Kiely seems particularly on the ball at managing this in fairness. He gave an interview where he talked about the importance of other competitions and particularly the Fitzgibbon for developing players, he name checked Finn and a few others who he said it was important to be left off to play Fitz and they could rejoin the limerick panel when it ended and they’d be better developed players for it. cc @dodgy_keeper

1 Like

Hopefully you enjoy the destruction of our senior hurling team for the sake of a holiday.

Anybody that is a part of the senior squad should not play fitzgibbon cup.

We certainly need a shot of fresh faces next year… Hopefully he gives a good few trials and a few new faces put their hands up.

It’s good that we have a strong and progressive manager like John Kiely who is not insecure about letting his players play other competitions for their own enjoyment and development.

Do you think John knows what he is doing?

A lot of teams go on holidays in January and allow a b panel play in say the Munster league over January to give lads a trial. Dublin footballers regularly do it.

Interesting to note in 17, 18 and 19 nearly all players cut from the panel had played fitzgibbon that year.

Fitzgibbon is an excellent way of developing players. It’s basically a competition for all the the country’s best players under the age of 23 or so. Lots of limerick lads involved last year too. POL starting this year for the winning UCC team surely benefitted in his breakout year this year as a very reliable player for us. I’m sure it was no coincidence a good share of lads that won for UL in 2018 transitioned nicely into their stellar year for Limerick, including Hegarty, Finn, Pat Ryan

It’s good for younger players yes but players like say Aran Gillane or Kyle Hayes who are established senior inter county hurlers it’s of no benefit to them really. It’s another work load. Hayes actually missed it in the 2018 and ended up young hurler of the year. @glasagusban can’t get his head around player burn out and wants the best players slugging it out in January for no apparent reason.

Exactly. It’s obvious. Kiely has said as much in interviews. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron.

1 Like

I suppose, definitely does benefit the fringe players massively or good club players that haven’t had a call up yet. It definitely was a massive factor in Gillane’s development when he was in 2nd year, Mary I won it and he was the main man which is some going. I think that was the first real talk about him and i’m sure that led to his call up