Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Well his brother made the list in any event

Ya, I’m not sure he’d be in the top 20 on my list though

Is number three the ex chairman?

No. A namesake from Oola who was a very fine footballer.

Who’s Pat Murphy?

Paddy Barrett was a serious operator.

That season was like a bad dream. 9 games played, 9 defeats. Toxic atmosphere around the place. Clubmates and even family members fell out over it.

Hammered by Dublin in Parnell Park in the last league game, which sealed our relegation, and Justin McCarthy smiling as he walked off the pitch. And he didn’t have the guts to face the media after being trounced by Cork in the championship either.

I’ll always have good time for big Paudie after he walked all over Wexford in the qualifier in Chadwicks Wexford Park in 2009. Think he grabbed a goal in the quarter final v Dublin in Thurles that year too.

1 Like

Didn’t he kick a goal into the net versus Dublin?

In some ways I think 2009 was needed to kick start the whole thing again. (Obviously not families falling out). I’d say seven or eight of that makeshift panel went on to win a Munster title and it probably fast forwarded the academy structures being put in place.

Savage rain fell that day.

1 Like

Mulcahy played that day V Cork and was very good as was Nickie Quaid who played midfield I think. The 30 point hammering by Dublin was the lowest point (bar the Tipp SF in 09, I sat on my own in Croke Park after the stadium emptied). I remember the Dubs game was live on TG4 and it was sureal watching it onfold

1 Like

It’s always darkest before dawn. Limerick hurling needed a wake up call

1 Like

No it didn’t. It needed a decent manager. We’d been in an AI final two years before. All during those shite years the bones of a good team were there.

That’s not true at all. Bar the minor run in 05 we barely had a decent underage team from the three under 21 sides until 2011. Even at that it was an ok 21s team who got to a semi final in 2011.

If it wasn’t for 2009 we probably would have rolled along thinking next year was our year.

Agree to disagree. It can be seen throughout those years that any time the set up was right limerick weren’t far away at all, that is what is most galling about the worst defeats and bad days, they were self inflicted.

It’s an 6 or 7 team sport. You are never far away in hurling.

the 2011 u-21 team had some set of forwards.

1 Like

Not really. Hannon ended up in the backs and dowling has kind of morphed into a superb sub. Graeme is the only one to have a long career as an inter county forward. I don’t think Niall Kennedy or mark Carmody hurled much more for limerick after that.

It is only in last 3 or so years that the gap in skill between Lk and the elite counties has more or less closed . Like it or not there was a huge gap between us and top teams for years . The gap was often made up with huge huge effort .

1 Like