Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

the starting 6 was (against Cork)
Dowling Hannon Kennedy
Mulcahy Downes Mikey Ryan.

That’s some 6 for an U21 team. Hannon got 1-4 from play the night against Cork

Conor Allis and O’Brien were midfield and both went on to play senior.

3 Likes

A fine set of forwards at that level . The defence was only so so if truth told

Limericks biggest problem is scoring forwards. We saw against Kilkenny in 2019 when Gillane was held we couldn’t get the scores despite being the better team.

I don’t know what it is or why we don’t produce them like tipp but it’s incredibly annoying. I guess a lot of it comes back to tradition.

I saw a poster on here point out mayo haven’t really produced a marquee forward for 30 or so years and It’s a huge football obsessed county.

We produce plenty of forwards we just decide to turn them into backs or subs and play mullockers up front instead.

What good forwards have we turned into backs?

Richie McCarthy, Hannon, Gavin O’Mahony are three that jump out … all would have had stellar carrers as forwards till we pushed em to the backs

2 Likes

Brian Geary was wasted in the backs.

Hannon, Nash, Brian Ryan. No doubt Cathal O’Neill will be turned into a wing back next.

Meanwhile, we play a set of mullockers in the forwards.

You can’t argue with it really, it gets results.

We’ve near a mullocker any more, except sham flan.

Brian Begley, TJ Ryan, Eamonn Cregan, Ollie Moran

7 Likes

Yes all Ireland wining captain Declan hannon has had a failed career since switching from the forwards to the backs.

Since when is Brian Ryan a back?

1 Like

He starts for DCU wing back. No doubt that transition will be the same as he progresses with Limerick

A long tradition of it. No wonder we have a problem producing scoring forwards.

I can’t recall him playing In the backs for limerick. Really glas just made a ridiculous comment that limerick turn good backs in to forwards. Hannons career in the backs has been much fruitful for all parties that his career in his forwards. Brian Ryan is a good decent young player. He was at best a work horse of a half forward. Trying to justify is silly post by using Brian Ryan as an example is weak to say the least.

Tackling is more important than scoring

Exactly. That’s why backs make the best forwards under the current set up. Also, forwards have great practice at fonging the ball up into the air, which is why limerick has traditionally turned its best forwards into the backs.

You couldn’t argue that our current set of mullockers aren’t a serious forward unit. We’ve finally got the balance right.

Kyle Hayes might be a mullocker, but he’s also one of the most skilful players in the country. He’d always guarantee you a score every game. He has 3-23 to date for Limerick, not bad for a mullocker.

1 Like

Perhaps it didn’t need that exacts but so much was being done wrong in the county. We needed a wake up call

1 Like

No, at the time the county board needed to stop being cunts and put in place a descent manager and a professional set up to enable the players to perform. It was that simple. Instead they put in smiley the clown and did their best to fuck over all the players.

A serious return for a back and a mullocker playing in the forwards. It’s like I said, you couldn’t argue with the group of mullockers that are there at the moment, they are a seriously effective unit.

1 Like