Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Sideline reporter for newstalk I’d Imagine. He’s Well in with Cyril Farrell and Antony Daly so maybe rte.

1 Like

never realised he was only 27

How do you feel now that you know?

1 Like

OTB will have him on board anyway if he doesnt go RTE.

id heard he had a setback week before last

1 Like

Did Dowling ever do a stint in third level? Can’t say I recall him doing it, assume he’s had little interest in academics but there would have been a handy scholarship/bursary there for him for a few years

1 Like

like a dunce

He was in lit for a short spell I think.

I think the first time I ever saw him play was a club 15s or 16s game. Nap got a 21 about 10m to the side of the goals and my father said “watch this, goal”. At that level every free nap got anywhere near the 21 was a goal.

I remember him rattling the crossbar out in cluaghann at a county under 14 training session. Th coaches put it up to him.

Will he still be hurling club with Na Piarsaigh?

I could see him playing in goal, but at what level I don’t know. That would be up to management and the knee itself I suppose. Time will tell.

Eamonn Cregan was the greatest Limerick hurler I ever saw play, Dowling was my favourite, jaysus you’d be rooting for him every time, the only positive of the 18 semi defeat was that he was the fella who made it happen, I know a few lads who hurl for him underage and they idolize him

6 Likes

Did Downling play for the Limerick seniors while still minor?

No. Not competitively anyway.

He didnt play until the 2012 league

Sometimes they’ve challenge games though in December when technically he’s still a Minor

We wouldn’t have won the All Ireland in 2018 but for his contributions, particularly his impact in the semi final where he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. As has been said he was a scorer of great, unorthodox scores, had beautiful wrists but even more so he had a serious mentality for the biggest stage in particular. The more pressure and more eyes on the game the better. The epitome of a “clutch player”. Best of luck to him and thanks for his contributions to limerick hurling.

9 Likes

Made his debut v Tipp in 2012 his first year out of Minor, started wing forward

1 Like

He was very good against Kilkenny in Thurles when he came on as well. I think that’s overlooked, but the Na Piarsaigh lads all had a huge impact when they came on that day.

1 Like