Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Some win for Oola against NCW in Martinstown. NCW probably the better team overall and they got off to a flying start with the breeze, leading 7 to 1 and could do no wrong. Josh Ryan (clear MOTM) brought them right back into it on the stroke of HT with a belter of a goal. And it was pretty tight for the second half. It was pretty high quality football on a lovely evening, AJ O Connor looked to put NCW on their way with a goal to put them 3 up. In fairness to Oola, they stuck at it and fired over 4 frees on the bounce, the winner coming right at the death after the NCW full back overcarried on his own 21. It was fairly sickening for the townies to lose that way but they will be back all guns blazing when they get back Diarmaid Kelly and Jamie Lee in the quarter final. The extra game could do them no harm, if they win they’ll have their tails up going into a semi against probably Adare. That would be some cracker.

My guess is it will be Oola and Casey’s in the other semi final, which would be another belter of a game between two in form teams. I’d fancy Casey’s to beat Kieran’s in the quarter final, though St. Kieran’s will have confidence after demolishing Galbally tonight. Drom and Senan’s in the relegation play-off. My guess is that will be 2 points to 1 or something along the lines. Knockout stages looking tidy now coming into the business end, Adare obvious favourites for the 3 in a row, but if Oola do end up meeting them in the final i’d fancy the men from the East to give them a right game. Richie English is a lovely footballer too, and Oola actually won tonight without both DOD and Pat Simon.

1 Like

I’d be surprised if Casey’s beat Kierans.
Will Lee be back for quarter final? He’s still in a cast isnt he? What’s up with Diarmuid Kelly?

It’ll be a fine game, I personally fancy Abbeyfeale. Kelly was only gone for the weekend so he’ll be back, and I would say Lee won’t be back for the quarter but he should be for the semi if they get over Ballysteen. That’s what i’ve heard anyway

Declan Fanning has been brought into the Na Piarsaigh backroom team to be reunited with old comrade Mick Ryan.

Plenty of recording goes on in those 1200 a night hotel rooms. They wouldn’t exactly be the shiniest coins in the till some of these lads

Is that confirmed?

So I believe.

Players not overly happy with how things were going and after they shafted Beary last winter they had to take a different approach this time.

Well that’s what I had heard originally, but then they bate seven shades of shite out of Kilmallock. And beat Adare fairly handy too.

And, to be fair to Mick Church, he would have only got access to his county players about 3 weeks ago. And considering they have a handful of senior intercounty footballers too, he might have only had 3 or 4 of his starting team at training for most of the summer. That is so difficult.

Was Fanning the main hurling coach for Tipp in 2016? I wonder what Shaughnessy makes of it all.

They were completely underwhelmed by Mick Ryan and Shaughnessy too.

I suppose Fanning would bring something different. It would be fairly widely viewed in Tipp that Mick Ryan would be tactically pretty basic and his man management skills would be poor.

Fanning was Tipp coach in 2016 alright

patrickswell apparently close to buying a new field. Also heard a great story from a legend of the club about the minutes of a meeting in the late 50s or early 60s where it was purposed the well rejoin ballybrown. Think it was 3 years later they won their first country title. Just shows for the likes of mungret and monaleen the wheel can turn fast. Also what is happening in ahane they should be flying it?

What does he bring if he’s not great tactically, not a good man manager and not the coach? I would have thought man management & motivation would be his thing?

He did win an All-Ireland after all.

How much are nap paying Ryan again ?

Not an awful lot.The all Ireland win was more to do with the players than anything else. He probably added a bit of steel to add to the class in the team that already existed alright.

Went steadily backwards after 2016 and was pretty much pushed by a player revolt last year. All communication between players and management went through Fanning for a finish in 2018.

1 Like

250 per night if I remember correctly

Good grief. 3 nights a week I’d imagine? Would coaches and what not come out of that or would they be getting seperate money? Nap are like Chelsea of the 00s prob better off with no manager.

They’d be paid separately. Na Piarsaigh would probably have a budget north of 50k for their senior hurling team every year.

Themselves and Cuala are in a race to the bottom

Mental stuff. Nap have obvious fundraising advantages over every other club buts crazy money.

1 Like

I presume you’re being a little harsh on him; you don’t win an All-Ireland by accident. Even with seriously talented players, they don’t just land in your lap.

One of the key traits of any good manager is delegation after all. You don’t have to be a great coach yourself, but you absolutely have to have a good coach with you. Ideally, the manager would have a good head for tactics too and would be a good man manager but if he had failings tactically, for example, would have a selector or two who he trusts with a good head for the game.

Organisation & delegation are very important, especially the higher up you go.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure of that.

In situations I’ve come across at club level, you’d pay one amount and the manager/coach would come as a package- up to them to sort it between them.

The club might pay one-off amounts for ‘guest coaches’ or an outside fitness trainer for a few sessions or something like that.

Maybe NaP operate completely differently, I don’t know.

1 Like

Are ye all at the coke down there lads?