Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Is Barry Murphy anywhere near back from injury for Doon?

Not this year I understand .

Whats the predictions for club championship this week?

4 red cards, 20 lost teeth and one split head for NCW & Tour.

3 Likes

Eagerly awaiting @Aristotle preview of this weekend matches. Should include predictions of card counts in the Garyspillane knockainey and tour NCW matches aswell.

From Matt O’Callaghan on bookface.

Sunday’s big Limerick Senior Hurling Championship meeting of Garryspillane and Knockainey at Kilmallock at 1pm will be unique.

Brian O’Shea will line out for Knockainey, his son Dylan and his nephew Colin Ryan will line out with Garryspillane.

8 Likes

Jaysus. What age is Brian?

Fair play to him.

Judging by that age is he in the full back line by any chance? Could be marking Dylan :grinning:

Timber the fuck out of him, he knows he’s only a soft cunt :smiley:

1 Like

Brian O’Shea is full back isn’t he?

There won’t be a dirty stroke in NCW v Tour with Johnny Murphy well warned about the background context. He’ll ref it to death.

So how did I do with the last round of football fixtures?

In Group 1 in the senior, there wasn’t a whole pile to play for with the way the games fell and I was 3/3 here. Adare did the job against Ballylanders, Danny Neville hit 2-9 from play to inspire Ballysteen to victory over Senan’s and Casey’s, already through in that case, got their win over Monaleen. Adare, Ballysteen & Casey’s through; Senan’s into relegation.

The other group had more riding on it and I got the big relegation game wrong. Drom/Broadfod threw it away at the end and Na Piarsaigh got the last few scores to sneak 1-point win. Because Kieran’s absolutely hammered Galbally, a win of any sorts would have done Drom. So Drom join Senan’s in that relegation play-off. Oola beat NCW in top spot decider but both sides were already through anyway. Kieran’s are the 3rd team through, as expected. Only 1/3 here.

0/3 in Group 1 of the Intermediate, including the one match that really mattered. Bruff beat Athea to put Athea in relegation. Apparently Athea struggled badly for numbers but that’s a big disappointment for them. Claughaun pipped Pat’s by a point, while Pallasgreen only drew with Rathkeale.

In the other group, we lost to Mountcollins. Both of us avoid the relegation play-off as Mungret hammered Glin, as expected. Griffins actually beat the Gaels by 5 so I was 1/2. Looks like the best 6 teams are through, Glin vs Athea in the relegation should be tasty too. I’d normally fancy Athea but if they are really struggling for numbers, Glin do have some handy forwards. That’s on this Saturday in Abbeyfeale.

In the junior, Cappagh gave Cappamore a walkover in the end and Ballybrown vs NCW was postponed. Drom2, Kilteely/Dromkeen and Croom all won as expected, while Castlemahon got a walkover from Bruree.

So, a bad week for predictions really. Excluding the junior, I only got 5/11.

This must be one of the best weekends in the Limerick GAA calendar, just by the sheer number of meaningful matches. These are matches where there actually is a lot riding on them. It’s the last round of the groups in both the Senior & Intermediate Championships, there’s a big round in the Premier Intermediate as well as some divisional semi-finals in the Junior. The only real shame is that some of the matches in different grades are on at the same time, when this is really a weekend where you’d want to get to as many matches as possible. I know the All-Ireland Football is on Sunday too but even still, you’d think they could work around that.

Senior Hurling Championship Group 1
Saturday August 31
Adare vs Patrickswell @6pm in the Gaelic Grounds
Doon (3/1) vs Na Piarsaigh (1/4) @6pm in Kilmallock
Kilmallock vs South Liberties @6pm in Bruff

This is the one group where there is nothing really at stake, which means predictions a nightmare. I know teams will be going out to win anyway, and technically there are semi-final places up for grabs but the top 4 is known and Liberties are going down, so it does take some of the shine off it. It’s hard not to see NaP beating Doon, the Well beating Adare and Kilmallock beating Liberties tbh. Maybe without Lynch & Gillane, Adare have some outside chcance of a shock but I still think they’re good enough to get the win.

Senior Hurling Championship Group 2
Sunday September 1
Ahane (4/7) vs Murroe/Boher (13/8) @1pm in Caherconlish
Ballybrown (2/5) vs Monaleen (21/10) @1pm in Claughaun
Garryspillane (5/6) vs Knockainey (11/10) @1pm in Kilmallock

Something to play for in all of these matches! If their aim was purely to create a competitive group, then this new format is a success. If it was to create an environment where teams could make a genuine step up to the top 4, maybe not so much. At the same time, the county board can’t just magic teams better instantly; it will take work. For now, there is plenty of excitement in this group.

Monaleen go up if they beat Ballybrown, the only team with their fate totally in their hands and I think they’ll do the job. Why they are priced 21/10, I have no idea. Maybe there’s something I’m not aware of, injuries or something, but they are unbeaten all year and I reckon they can curtail Ballybrown’s forwards. Ballybrown need to win and for Ahane to lose to go through. Murroe/Boher have drawn 4/4, surely I’d be mad to back against a draw again? I don’t think either Ahane or Murroe/Boher are great, a draw would see Ahane into the quarter-final. A win for Murroe/Boher would be enough if Monaleen do win.

Possibly the most interesting clash of them all is the South derby between Garryspillane and Knockainey. A draw will do Garryspillane but Knockainey have stayed up a few years in a row and it all comes down to this game. The thing about Brian O’Shea playing against his son, Dylan, makes it even more interesting. It’s almost impossible to call. I’m going to go with Knockainey to sneak it even though Garryspillane arguably have the more talented hurlers.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship
Friday August 30
Bruff (11/10) vs Mungret (8/11) @7.30pm in Mick Neville Park

Saturday August 31
Bruree (1/4) vs Pallasgreen (7/2) @4.15pm in Bruff
Cappamore (4/1) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (1/6) @4.30pm in the Gaelic Grounds

Sunday September 1
Blackrock (10/11) vs Dromin/Athlacca (11/10) @7.30pm in Martinstown

This isn’t the last round of fixtures but there is still a lot to play for. Unlike last year, when a clear gap had opened between the top 4 and the rest by this stage, there is still 7 teams in with a genuine shot of a semi-final place. That won’t be the case after this weekend, you’d imagine. On Friday night, Mungret are currently a point above Bruff in the table. The loser could be in big trouble, absolutely having to win their final match, while the winner should have enough. They are the last two teams we played, and while the pressure is now on, I think Bruff might sneak this.

Pallasgreen are the one team cut adrift and it’s simple for them. If they do not win this weekend, they are relegated. I don’t see a miracle happening tbh, I reckon Bruree will get the 2 points which will but them on 6 and in touch for a semi-final spot. We play Cappamore who have won 2 on the bounce with ourselves already through to the semis. On the Sunday, Blackrock suffered a serious setback last weekend against Cappamore and now absolutely have to win their last two games to have a chance of qualifying. Dromin/Athlacca are currently in second spot with 7 points, in a good position, but have two tough games left. I think Blackrock could beat them here which would drag D/A right back into a serious fight on the last day.

Plenty of permutations in this group, some really interesting matches. The Friday and Sunday matches in particular should be all guns blazing.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 1
Sunday September 1
Croom vs Feohanagh @1pm in Feenagh
Knockaderry vs Na Piarsaigh @1pm in Askeaton
Newcastlewest (evens) vs Tournafulla (evens) @1pm in Dromcollogher

I don’t like that these games are on at the same time as the Senior B games; ideally you’d like to be able to see the best match from both. Croom and Na Piarsaigh are already through but both their opponents could end up in the relegation play-off. On all known form, you’d still have to tip the top 2, although Feohanagh in particular, have been very disappointing so far.

NCW vs Tour is the one we’ve all been talking about- some bad blood between them already, a West derby, the potential for the loser to be relegated. Tour, in particular, really need a win as if there are losses in the other games, a win would keep them safe but their scoring difference at the moment is not favourable. I believe they are missing a few through suspension which is obviously a big blow but Mountcollins survived on the last day in the football last weekend, so maybe their sister club can produce something similar. NCW have 2 on the bounce and I don’t think they have any suspensions so logic would say they will win. Logic doesn’t always feature in these kind of matches though!

If those results do happen, it would come down to scoring difference as to who is in relegation with Tour 15 behind Knockaderry and 21 behind Feohanagh. A win for any one of the teams on 2 points would put it to head-to-head, Tour would go ahead of Knockaderry but behind Feohanagh, while Knockaderry have it over Feohanagh. If all 3 of the 2 point teams were to win, they would go level with NCW on 4 and it would go to score difference to decide a quarter-final spot and the relegation play-off. A win for Tour would obviously give them head-to-head over NCW so there is a huge amount to play for.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2
Saturday August 31
Drom/Broadford (7/2) vs Effin (1/4) @3pm in Ballingarry
Glenroe (1/5) vs St. Patrick’s (7/2) @3pm in Hospital
Granagh/Ballingarry (1/6) vs Hospital/Herbertstown (7/2) @3pm in Kilfinane

I’ll miss these matches on Saturday afternoon too as we’re playing shortly after which is a balls, because again, there is a lot to play for. Drom/Broadford are in the relegation final no matter what, and it is very hard to see Effin not beating them tbh. That would put Effin up to 6 points and in a good position, but not guaranteed to go through. They would be hoping that Glenroe beat St. Pat’s. Glenroe are very likely through anyway but do need at least a draw to make certain, while Pat’s are currently a point ahead of Effin but considering Effin are likely to win, they probably need to win. It’s not an easy one to call, Gearoid Hegarty is Pats’ ace in the hole but I feel like Glenroe are stronger overall. The last game is Granagh/Ballingarry vs Hospital/Herbertstown. H/H need a win, a draw might do G/B who are currently level with Pats, a point ahead of Effin & H/H. I reckon dodgy’s boys will eke out the win and qualify.

City Hurling Championship Semi-Final
Saturday August 31
Claughaun vs Old Christians @6pm in Mungret

I don’t know how they decided it but we got the semi-final we wanted in the City! Annoyingly, it looks like I’ll miss it. Another one which should be great fare, plenty of timber, a place in the final and the knockouts of the county at stake. Christians edged the group match and I fancy them to get the win this time around aswell. Should be a cracker though.

West Hurling Championship Semi-Finals
Saturday August 31
Castletown/Ballyagran vs Croagh/Kilfinny @6.30pm in Feenagh

Sunday September 1
Killeedy vs Kilmallock @6.30pm in Dromcollogher

All 4 of these teams have places in the knockout stages already but there is a place in the final of the most box office competition of them all at stake. Castletown/Ballyagran were beaten by Kieran’s by a point but won all their other games, Croagh lost twice in the group but had a hard-fought win over Feenagh/Kilmeedy in the semi-final. I still think C/B have shown serious form to date and might just beat C/K’s young guns.

Kilmallock weren’t impressive in the group at all, taking a hammering from C/B but laid down a serious marker in the quarter-final against Monagea, winning by 15. They have players back and it looks like they mean business. Last year’s finalists Killeedy are no pushover though, the only unbeaten team in the competition. It should be a right good game, and you wouldn’t be surprised if there was a repeat of this in a county final but I think Killeedy will just about get the win.

A lot of very good matches, so:

Senior- Patrickswell, Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock, Draw, Monaleen, Knockainey
Premier- Bruff, Bruree, Blackrock
Intermediate- Croom, Na Piarsaigh, Newcastlewest, Effin, Glenroe, Granagh/Ballingarry
Junior- Old Christians, Castletown/Ballyagran, Killeedy

22 Likes

Bookies being cute not pricing up adare v the well

1 Like

Great post.

A couple of updates. The three IHC Group 2 games have gone from 3pm to 6pm and I’m fairly sure that the city junior semi-final is off.

1 Like

Pwell down 6 or 7 of their team. Adare will win.

1 Like

Great piece well done👍

1 Like

Great preview

1 Like