Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

Goal Claughaun, that’ll be that.

Scrap ongoing.

Red card for Christians corner-forward

Edit- and another red card from the next passage of play

1 Like

Tis surely gone over in Bruff now?

4/7 about a half hour after he put it up!

Final Score: Claughaun 1-13 Old Christians 0-8.

Second half kinda went the way I thought it would, Christians just didn’t have enough in attack. They were lucky to be level at half-time, frees were keeping them in it and they really had nothing up front. Ken Byrnes was ineffective at midfield and I don’t know why they didn’t stick him in full-forward, his movement and scoring ability would have at least kept the Claughaun backs honest.

They actually swapped their full-back and full-forward with about 10 minutes to go and the full-back made a difference at full-forward, got the ball into his hand and won a couple of frees. Looked their most threatening player. Howard wasn’t able to do it all on his own though. I do have sympathy for Christians, how many teams can afford to lose their main scoring threat & centre-back and still compete? Blackhall is so much better than the forwards they had on show, the loss is massive.

Claughaun were much the better team though, they just looked fitter. Their forwards weren’t particularly brilliant either but were able to burst through tackles and win frees; and when they got away from their men, they got scores. Claughaun freetaker nailed everything aswell, while Byrnes & the Christians full-forward both missed a couple of frees.

There was a bit of needle, Christians picked up two straight red cards in the final few minutes, the first was definitely deserved; the second was for a wild pull in a goalmouth scramble, looks like he might have hit the goalkeeper straight. Patsy isn’t a good ref though, made both sides very angsty.

A Claughaun supporter screamed at Howard in the second half: “Who are you calling a prick?” in the midst of an argument. He spent most of the game roaring abuse.

2 Likes

Just back from the Old Christian’s match … woeful standard!!!Cannot see them getting past any west team.

Funny how Howard plays with Claughaun and they were openly calling Old Christian’s scumbags. Says alot when these two teams combined could not stay up Intermediate also.

Claughaun must be strong favourites for the football a bit like st Pat’s possibly more natural at it but
Pat’s pulled out of the county cup it looks and cannot blame them . Will old Christian’s stay together next year?

The quality wasn’t great and you’d be surprised if Claughaun weren’t the weakest team in the quarter-finals. Still, it’s tough for a club like Old Christians; even support-wise, they were vastly outnumbered. They’ve done good work at underage but is there a real sense of club identity being passed on to draw people in and attract people to the club?

That kind of thing is a lot easier in rural areas, even if the population isn’t there.

1 Like

Things really heating up now, quarter-finals in both senior & intermediate Championship, last round of the group (which pretty much acts as quarter-finals) in the Premier Intermediate. Divisional semi-finals & finals in the Junior. Not quite as action-packed as two weekends ago, but still plenty of knockout hurling.

Senior Hurling Championship
Sunday September 15
Kilmallock (1/12) vs Ahane (7/1) @2pm in the Gaelic Grounds
Doon (1/5) vs Ballybrown (4/1) @3.45pm in the Gaelic Grounds

There were no surprises in Group 1 of the senior, with the top 4 emerging as expected. The only question was who would go straight to the semis and who would be in the quarters. Kilmallock & Doon both lost to Na Piarsaigh, drew with each other and had a draw and defeat against Patrickswell respectively. Both are still heavy favourites for these quarter-finals againsnt the top two from Group 2.

Ahane won 4 matches, the biggest margin of victory they had was 2 points, they were able to grind out wins. There is a huge reliance on the Morrissey brothers, Dan has joined Tom in attack and has banged in a few important goals. Ballybrown gave Monaleen a hammering on the last day to book their place in the quarter-final and Doon without Barry Murphy are, perhaps, the more vulnerable of the two Group 1 teams. I personally don’t see any upset, I think Kilmallock will dispose of Ahane relatively comfortably and I do think Doon should have enough to just get over Ballybrown, although it could be tight.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship
Saturday September 14
Blackrock (1/2) vs Bruree (15/8) @3.30pm in Kilmallock
Bruff (1/2) vs Cappamore (2/1) @3.30pm in Kilteely
Dromin/Athlacca (15/8) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (2/5) @3.30pm in Ballingarry
Mungret vs Pallasgreen @3.30pm in Claughaun

The Premier Intermediate Championship has been very tight this year with 7 of the 8 teams drawing at least one match. Pallasgreen were finally left adrift and relegated, two of the teams have already booked place in the semi-finals but the other five teams are all competing for the last two spots on the last day!

The standout fixture is Blackrock vs Bruree, another South derby which acts as a straight quarter-final. Both sides are currently on 6 points, the winner will progress to the semi-final, the loser will be out (a draw does through up other possibilities). Blackrock suffered a serious setback against a resurgent Cappamore but recovered against Dromin/Athlacca, and I would favour them to have too much for Bruree. Last year’s finalists Bruff have suffered 3 defeats in a row, having been top of the group going into the break. They have one last chance against a Cappamore who had 0 points going into the break but have recovered and are unbeaten in 3. Contrasting fortunes but Cappamore’s poor score difference and head-to-head record against the teams that matter mean it is very unlikely that they will qualify, even if they win. Bruff will go through if they beat Cappamore and Dromin/Athlacca lose. It’s a very hard one to call, the form lines favour Cappamore but Bruff have been given one last opportunity to salvage their season. I’m going to tip Cappamore all the same.

We play Dromin/Athlacca having already secured top spot; we can become the first team to ever go through the group stage of this competition unbeaten if we win. A win or draw for D/A will see them into the semi-final; a loss will leave them hoping for Bruff to not win. Mungret and Pallasgreen is the only real dead rubber- Mungret are through, Pallasgreen are down, the only thing to be decided is for Mungret to confirm they finish second if they win, and I expect they will.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Quarter-Final
Sunday September 15
Effin (2/5) vs Newcastlewest (2/1) @1pm in Dromcollogher
Na Piarsaigh (2/5) vs Hospital/Herbertstown (2/1) @1pm in Caherconlish

A bit annoying that these are on at the same time and even more annoying that they’ll clash a bit with the senior quarter-finals. To be honest, these fixtures look more attractive than the senior ones, they should be more competitive. Effin lost to Glenroe & Granagh/Ballingarry but still came second in the group, and were comprehensive winners in the games they actually won. NCW had a terrible start but recovered to win three games on the bounce. Games involving NCW don’t tend to be high-scoring but they are dogged, they are fit and have added some quality hurlers in recent years. They mightn’t have any of the quality of the Quaids but they’ll make it a serious contest. Some people are tipping them as an outside bet for the county, they certainly could beat Effin but having seen both sides, I think when Effin get motoring, they have some serious scoring potential so I’m going to go with them.

In the other group, Hospital/Herbertstown have had a great year already, beating both Glenroe and dramatically, Granagh/Ballingarry on the last day of the group with a last-minute goal. Na Piarsaigh racked up three wins but have burned players and lost to Knockaderry on the last day. Always hard to call in those cases, but Na Piarsaigh should have too much and could be on course to make their first semi-final at this grade.

West (South) Championship Final
Saturday September 14
Castletown/Ballyagran (evens) vs Kilmallock (4/5) @3pm in Tournafulla

In the most box office Championship of them all, there are no West teams as the all-South duo of Castletown/Ballyagran face off against Kilmallock. C/B hammered the Balbec in the first round of the group back in June and beat a good Croagh/Kilfinny side in the semi-final. Kilmallock had a so-so start, even after that defeat but recovered to hammer Monagea in the quarter-final and sneak past Killeedy in the semi-final. They have players back and it should be an interesting contest in Tour. There definitely won’t be much in it either way but I’m going to go with C/B to get the win, I think the confidence boost they would get it from it would be huge and would set them up nicely for the county.

City Championship Semi-Final
Sunday September 15
Mungret vs Patrickswell @6pm in Claughaun

Claughaun await the winners in the final. Mungret recovered from a poor start to qualify for the semi-finals, the key being a victory over Crecora at the start of August. Patrickswell topped the group from start to finish and would have always been tipped as the team to beat. Again, I’m not 100% sure which players both sides have burned since but Patrickswell looked stronger and I’m going to tip them.

Senior Football Championship Relegation Final
Saturday September 14
Dromcollogher/Broadford (4/7) vs St. Senan’s (7/4) @3pm in Newcastlewest

At the same time as the West final this afternoon, another important final takes place between two west teams as Drom face Senan’s in the relegation play-off. D/B have been the dominant force in Limerick football so far this century but players have retired and it’s been 6 long years since they won a county (although they have been in two finals since then). Senan’s won the Intermediate in 2017 but struggled badly this year. Drom are still favourites in most people’s eyes, they’ve been in winning positions but haven’t been able to see it out. If they can somehow tame Ian Ryan, they should win. However, I don’t think their backs are particularly great, they still have some fine forwards and midfielders but are quite porous. Still, I’ll go for them to get the win, just about.

So:

Senior- Kilmallock & Doon
Premier- Blackrock, Cappamore & Mungret
Intermediate- Effin & Na Piarsaigh
West- Castletown/Ballyagran
City- Patrickswell
Football- Drom/Broadford

6 Likes

Anyone at the west junior A final thron up a few updates

1 Like

8-4 to Ballyagran after 20 mins

https://twitter.com/drombroafordgaa/status/1172879279929122816?s=19

Eeeekkkkk

There’s a bookie in Bruff licking his lips

Ian Ryan with 2 from play and free.
Sean McSweeney with 2 and Ray Fla with one

Senans goal.
Bye bye Drom. An incredible run at senior, eeking every last drop out of the players they had. Can have no regrets over the period and was always going to be a struggle for them to stay up.
(There’s still a half to play)

We have hit the front with 10 minutes to go.

:hushed:

:ronnyroar:

OMFG

Shove that up your bollocks

5 Likes