Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

You’ll see. Should be the Star for the minors if he’s eligible.

Yer man O’Brien is a serious hurler in fairness. He’s still U-15 though.

He’s absolutely brilliant. It’s class seeing lads that age so good. Are you sure he’s under 15? Can he play minor next year? Much better than anybody I’ve seen at that age before. No idea If he’s related to paudie either.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure he’s U-15; think he was the only Kilmallock fella on the Limerick 15s this year. I obviously haven’t seen everyone at that level but he must be one of the top fellas.

The only thing I would say is that athletically he’s way ahead of a lot of players that he’d be coming up against it at underage club level; his pace, power and acceleration are a huge asset.

He’ll be eligible for the minors next year- there were 8 U-16s on the minors this year.

1 Like

I believe now compared to even five years ago the athletic training for underage at county level has moved streets ahead. Before you’d see lads lose their pace as they bulked up too much. So hopefully he can keep developing. He’s that fielding ability that usually very rare in limerick hurling until recently anyway.

What position does he play?

Bit of a mix & match weekend, but some huge fixtures. Semi-finals in Senior & Premier Intermediate hurling, and there should be some great contest at both grades. Intermediate semis & relegation not on for another week, not sure about the City Final, although the East Final is on this weekend (although apparently Doon & Kilteely/Dromkeen are going to Croke Park with their appeal).

Then in football, you have one senior & one intermediate semi-final, both of which should be interesting games too.

Senior Hurling Championship
Sunday September 22
Patrickswell (8/11) vs Doon (11/8) @2pm in the Gaelic Grounds
Na Piarsaigh (1/4) vs Kilmallock (7/2) @3.45pm in the Gaelic Grounds

Double header in the Gaelic Grounds in the senior. A lot of the talk in the first game is about Aaron Gillane. If he is available & fit, you’d really have to fancy the Well, who have been excellent this season imo. Without him, or if he’s not right, it becomes a lot more interesting. Doon do miss Barry Murphy but got over Ballybrown in the end and with Jack Beg back and having moved Josh Ryan inside, they have bolstered their forward options. Patrickswell rely on Gillane a lot but would need his brother, O’Briens and Lynch to take on more scoring responsibility. I’ve heard that Gillane will be playing; I don’t know how right he’ll be but I’ll go with Patrickswell to edge this, I’ve been impressed with them under Carey.

It’s hard to see Na Piarsaigh not beating Kilmallock tbh. They hammered them earlier in the year, and although Kilmallock showed good grit to see out the win against a dogged Ahane with only 14 men and Na Piarsaigh are missing the Dow; it’s hard to see them turning around that scoreline. Na Piarsaigh just have too many good forwards, it’s impossible to hold them all and Kilmallock are playing at a level below last year.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championhip
Saturday September 21
Mungret (4/6) vs Blackrock (11/8) @2pm in Kilmallock
Kildimo/Pallaskenry (1/2) vs Bruff (7/4) @3.45pm in Kilmallock

Tomorrow sees a double header in Kilmallock for the Premier Intermediate semi-finals. 3 of the same 4 semi-finalists as last year, with champions Garryspillane replaced by another South team, Blackrock. Blackrock didn’t win a game before the break, but bounced back after the break to win 3/4 games. They lost to Mungret before the break on a day where they conceded 4 awful goals including one directly from a sideline. Mungret were under a bit of pressure themeselves after round 4 but beat Bruree & Bruff before drawing with Pallasgreen to secure a semi-final spot. I do rate Blackrock under Jimmy Quilty and the return of Richie Mac, Ritchie Murphy and the acquisition of Daithi Heffernan have made them a serious prospect. Mungret have added Killian Ryan and moved Conor Helewell up the field but still rely on Paul O’Brien to do a lot of scoring aswell. I fancy Blackrock, I think their dominance of the puckouts will give them enough of a platform to win.

We play Bruff in the other semi in the second match of the double header.

East Junior Hurling Championship
Saturday September 21
Ballybricken/Bohermore vs Caherline @4.30pm in Cappamore
Neither of these sides has played a Championship match since mid-July so there is no real form to go on. Both into the decider because of a walkover and the shadow of the appeals will hang over the game. Still, these sides can only focus on themselves and I reckon Caherline are the better team and will get the win. Both make the county knockouts anyway but neither of these sides have won a divisional final in a few years.

Senior Football Championship
Sunday September 22
Adare (4/7) vs Newcastlewest (15/8) @6.15pm in Mick Neville Park

A lot of people would say that NCW are the best bet of stopping Adare’s 3-in-a-row. Adare were comfortable throughout the group, impressive in how they were never really troubled and saw out victories, perhaps without ever setting the world alight. Newcastlewest racked up a couple of big wins before losing to Oola in the last group game, and had to dig deep to come from behind to beat Adare. I do give them a good chance of winning this and it should be a close game but Adare still have a young, pacy team but one that has the experience of winning and that must count for something. Adare to edge it.

Intermediate Football Championship
Claughaun (2/5) vs Gerald Griffins (9/4) @3.30pm in Mick Neville Park

A lot of people, including me, had Pat’s and Rathkeale as the two favourites to win this grade and both are gone already. As the side who topped that group, Claughaun are now a lot of people’s favourites. But the other group has 3 semi-finalists and Claughaun only beat relegated Athea by a point, and only narrowly beat Bruff & Pallasgreen too. Gerald Griffins had a huge comeback against Rathkeale, scoring the last 8 points of the game to win by a point. This is a hard one to call, both sides have some impressive results under their belt. I’m going to be boring and go for Claughaun to sneak it.

9 Likes

Good previews but 2 of the hurlers you mention for us would not hurl spuds to ducks. We must be in trouble. Anyway I hear from home that we are on the stream at 2pm

I had heard that Doon had pulled their appeal under threat fron the east board but kilteely were determined to take it all the way. Knowing a few club officers that would not surprise me

Yeah. We’re shitting ourselves.

What happened here?

That’s very harsh on at least one of them! The players I mentioned though, for both sides, are those that were unavailable/in a different position when ye last played Blackrock; not necessarily the “star men”.

It was an entertaining contest last time, I expect it to be the same this time.

Should be a feast of hurling in Fitzgerald Park today.

Good luck to all four sides.

2 Likes

Tension rising in Turkey as we await throw-in and the will it/won’t it work nature of the stream

2 Likes

Couldn’t trust them Turks. I’d head for the Consulate and ask them to throw it on.

Head down to Dolores McNamaras place she’s surely showing it

Erdogan surely has this blocked?

Where is that?

I can’t actually find where it’s supposed to be streamed.

Richie Burke rattles the net!

Cracking start. 0-03 to 1-00.

Cc @ciarancareyshurlingarmy

I can go to the pub now