Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

1 Like

14 Limerick lads on the UL panel, there was a time not so long ago, youā€™d have none at all. Very positive.

1 Like

You wouldnt have 14 lads from limerick going to UL a decade or so back .

2 Likes

Based on that, UL look like the strongest Limerick side on paper.

All three colleges have decent representation, UL are definitely the strongest on paper, not a bad management team either with Gary Kirby the manager.

Would the average IC now stay in college to 24 ??

A joke competition.

Donā€™t care who wins it as long as none of our lads get injured or burnt out. Ideally none of them will even get out of their respective groups.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about average, and it also depends on what age they were when they began but I think a lot are staying in college for 5 years. If the college gives you an incentive to stay, itā€™s hard to turn down, I think.

Is there a rule though that you can only play 4 years Fitzgibbon/Sigerson? Surely Jason Forde has played 4 years already.

Fitzgibbon Cup is load of utter bollix.

3 Likes

Colleges exist primarily to educate men and women for the economy and for social purposes . Having hurling and football teams for elite hurlers who already are subject to huge demands must take up huge resources that could be put to better use .

Why the pointed dislike dodgy? Do you feel itā€™s a distraction from IC prep?

A complete waste of time and money. Only people benefitting are a few well remunerated coaches. Who won it five years ago? Couldnā€™t tell you. Iā€™d say most people are the same.

Players flogged with all these pointless matches in a short period of time, in between trying to juggle intercounty training and NHL matches, meaningless quarter finals, having a semi final and final on consecutive days (player welfare how are ya), fucks up intercounty preparation, cunts marvelling about ā€œThe 'Collegeā€ and the famous Bank at The Mardyke even though thereā€™s two men and a dog at these matches - I could go on.

If they are to proceed with it, it should be straight knock out. Round robin ffs. And it would be limited to players who havenā€™t played intercounty the year before too if I had my way.

Never heard anyone finish their career and say ā€œthank God I won The Fitz that time.ā€

6 Likes

It should be banned. Alot of intercounty rivalry have been washed away with this Mickey mouse competition. Lads are best of friends in college and wonā€™t break hurls off each other when playing for the county.

7 Likes

Cheers dodgy you have an excellent way of putting your point across and youā€™ve sold it to me. Advantages, keeps lads fit, disadvantages, potentially injury pitfall landmines and burnout. Maybe theyā€™ll figure something more apt and beneficial in the near future.

2 Likes

Any time, @Vilbox mate.

1 Like

The same thing is now percolating down to club level . Players nearly all on some kind of a development squad or school team all too friendly .

Club hurling lacking real bite , with the noble exception of Ballybrown and Pallasgreen .

2 Likes

Its still a good sign to see so many young Limerick hurlers in those colleges mate, agree with you regarding the burnout etc.

Be a lot worse if they were boozing every night in town though which was the case before.

Mary I is basically a secondary school though so they have an advantage there

Are Cian Lynch and Gillane not graduated?

Lynch would only have started college in September 2014. I donā€™t know what course heā€™s doing but heā€™d be in 4th year.

Gillane is only in 3rd year.