Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Winners win. Refs definitely err on the side of the big guns though. Had one of our lads taken out say Declan Oā€™Sullivan the way Darragh nailed Kelly on the day in question above he would have gotten the line. Cynical and effective.

They were excellent that day.
I think it was 2010 in Killarney where we were 5 points down, got it back to 1 but then seemed to freeze. Had all the momentum but couldnā€™t drive it on. Cork was the same, we were streets better than Cork that day and couldnā€™t get over the line.

In 2003 Kerry were poor enough and we were going great guns . The Kerry defence that day literally got away with a policy of holding .

The ref really bottled it that day .

That was 2012 i think, lost to Cork in qualifers after?

From 2003 to 2010 we were brilliantly organized , had a good defence and a fabulous midfield but lacked real top class fire power .

We are a long way off those days now sadly. Young crop of footballers now, hopefully in three or four years they can come again. Really think we need a second tier championship to give our lads a realistic target to work towards though. Itā€™ll be young fellas forever otherwise as lads wonā€™t stick it out.

2 Likes

Lost to cork in 2010 qualifiers AET . Could have robbed it that day . Cork went on to win Sam that year .

We never had 6 good forwards, probably got as far as four at best at one stage. If only the two generations that back boned those teams had just been closer together. If youā€™d had the 2004 half forward line of Kelly,Gavin & Stokes along with Buckley, Collins & Ryan from 2010. If my aunt had balls etc.

1 Like

Iā€™ll never forget standing in the pissing rain on the terrace vs Cork in 2003. About 2,000 people there in the whole place Iā€™d say, about 20 on the terrace, and Muris Gavin gave a football kicking masterclass at one end while Diarmuid Sheehy gave a Corkery kicking masterclass at the other end. Kings for a day. The kind of day that you keep going back for, just in case youā€™d miss it.

1 Like

The day after we won the Premier U21. I couldnā€™t bring myself to get on the bus to Cork so a crowd of us watched it in a local ale house. With 5 minutes to go the publican ( a former Limerick selector I think) stood a round for the house.

Did ye not have anyone on the panel???

I was at that one. Cork were hopeless and should have been hammered by more than the 10 point margin.

That marked end of their 99 team and Tompkins

Cork were shite but we still laid down a marker that day. We ran rings around them.

2004 and 2009 were years we should have won. 2010 aswell, Kerry were probably the better team but if Oā€™Se had been sent off, it was a different game. Galvin was phenomenal that day, absolutely lorded it.

We wouldnā€™t have at that stage. Gallagher & Ranahan would have been a few years after that.

He seemed to save his best for the big days. He was fucking immense in everyone of those games.

1. Donal Oā€™Sullivan Monaleen (Captain)

2. Gareth Noonan Dromcollogher Broadford.

3. Sean Oā€™Dea Kilteely Dromkeen

4. David Connolly Adare

5. Paul White Rathkeale

6. Cillian Fahy Dromcollogher Broadford

7. Jim Liston Gearld Griffins

8. Darragh Treacy St Kieranā€™s

9. Brian Fanning Pallasgreen

10. Daniel Daly Fr Caseys

11. Peter Nash Kildimo Pallaskenry

12. Danny Neville Ballysteen

13. Tony McCarthy Kildimo Pallaskenry

14. Padraig Scanlon Glin

15. Jamie Lee Newcastle West

16. James Brouder Mountcollins 17. Shane Doherty Adare 18. Edward Sheehy Granagh-Ballingarry 19. Colm McSweeney Gerald Griffins 20. David Ward Fr Caseys 21. Tommy Griffin Gerald Griffins 22. Seamus Oā€™Carroll Castleknock 23. Robbie Bourke Adare 24. Sean McSweeney St Kieranā€™s 25. PĆ”draig De BrĆŗn Firies 26. Kieran Daly Na Piarsaigh

Thatā€™s a very young team. I have to say Iā€™ve no idea who a few of them are

Only 14 of the 26 are playing Senior club football

In the long run it may be a good thing - but iā€™m seething with some of the omissions here.

3 Junior A players on the starting 15, while Ballylanders, St. Senans, St. Pats & Oola have no representative on the 26 and Ballysteen, Monaleen, NAP, NCW have only one each.
4 representatives from 2/3 of the senior clubs.
Caseys x 2, Kierans x 2, Drom x 2 & Adare x 3 make up the balance & Oā€™Carroll (is he not training that heā€™s not starting?)
14/26 Senior
7 Intermediate
3 Junior A
1 Junior B
1 Firies whatever level they play at (Kerry Division 3 maybe?).

You could say that itā€™s a great sign of the depth in the county but the reality is bar maybe 4 teams (being generous) intermediate is absolute dross.
So youā€™d have to say a lot of the best players, simply arenā€™t playing.