Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Agree re Gillane but he is unknown at this level and was badly treated last year . Time will tell .

On all known form Tom Morrissey is off IC level . A decent hurler but just canā€™t run fast enough .

O Connell could be suited to a hard working half forward role. Heā€™s good vision and isnā€™t selfish at all. Heā€™s been around good while but is still only 23. Possibly his first league start?

Iā€™m fairly sure itā€™s his first senior league start alright, mate. Thought he shouldā€™ve been on the panel last year, not so sure about him as a forward though.

I think he might have started two years ago?

Excellent vision, very unselfish, well able to score and take a man on. If he has a weakness in that position, heā€™s not particularly great in the air and maybe tries to do much at times.

Could definitely do a job, hope he gets a run of games.

Is he quick?

I would agree with the unselfish comment and he has good vision. I would have always thought he was slow.

DOnt think any player suffered as much under tj ryan. Played a blinder At 16 in the 21s Munsters final. For the next 5 years under tj Ryan between 21s and senior he didnā€™t get a look in. Kiely showed his ineptitude as manager when he played a completely make shift team against a good cork side and it went completely wrong. Thought o Connell should have been held onto longer. Prob suffered a lot from having no position too. All over the shop for his club, fullback for Are scoil, Centre back for under 21s.

1 Like

He wouldnā€™t be electric quick but with the ball in hand heā€™s a very strong and direct runner.

1 Like

Not buying this stuff about it being a year too soon for lads. Clare and waterford have done well with very young sides. Galway wouldnā€™t have won last year without mannion and whelan. When all these lads are in college is the time to make hay.

1 Like

Only problem is weā€™re coming from a very low base mate. The four guaranteed championship games may stand to us. Iā€™d be thrilled this year with a tangible improvement on last year including a decent run in the league and an AI SF.

Heā€™s not a rocket but heā€™s not slow either, and I think heā€™s actually quicker now than he was after he had a couple of injuries. Well able to take on a man and go past him easily.

1 Like

Very good, he took one lovely score the last day. I think we have the makings of one of the best panels in the country it is just about getting the right blend.

1 Like

Kyle Hayes out till the end of March

In the greater scheme of things a break now mightnā€™t be the worst thing for the lad.

Spared being flogged in the Fitzgibbon and on boggy pitches in the NHL. Comes back in April nice and fresh, a couple of matches with his club and then hopefully good to go in May and June.

1 Like

Hard to see how being injured is a good thing, always found that logic odd.

Missing time as a young lad is hardly ideal. He is still raw with lots of room to improve.

1 Like

It was a handy op for @dodgy_keeper to put the boot into the Fitzgibbon, he surely doesnā€™t believe it either

Pity, with Hannon out itā€™d have been the ideal time to give him a spin at CB

What is Kyle Hayesā€™ injury ??

The Fitzgibbon is a bit of early season eye-candy that has effectively replaced the Railway Cup in the public eye.

Virtually all of itā€™s participants are 1-15 with inter-county hurlers playing a semi-contact game. When you see some of the scores being put up on mudbath pitches in January/February it only confirms the belief that the games are glorified ping-pong.

Players receiving GAA/GPA sponsored ā€œbursariesā€ are restricted from club activity as their college has first call on them. All of this endorsed, by the way, by Paraic Duffy and the ā€œamateurā€ GAA HQ. Some weasel words from that cunt during the week and he wringing his hands about payments in his valedictory report.

I go to some of the games as itā€™s something to do on a quiet midweek day around Limerick, but overall the competition is a load of old wank.

6 Likes

That is a cracking post .