Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Winning by 8 at half-time. Tame enough stuff really.

Cian Lynch is just a fantastic hurler though, his skill levels are unreal. Picked off two scores from distance too which is encouraging, he often passes when he should shoot.

Tom Morrissey excellent too, and Aaron Gillane has really come into it too, heā€™s the main target man up front and made the goal. Got a yellow card when he was about to set up another.

Dreams by the Cranberries now being played over the crackling PA.

2 Likes

Build him up for the fall.

We had a minutes silence for Dolores

1 Like

A lot of fucking about by Limerick.

10-point win. Nothing spectacular but we tried to feed the inside line with decent ball, and Gillane particularly did profit. Morrissey was superb and he and Reidy from the bench picked off a few very nice scores.

Laois keeper made two really good saves, one from Browne and one from Murphy.

Offaly next up next Sunday in Tullamore is it?

Thatā€™ll be interesting, Offaly are really buzzing after last night, getting ahead of themselves a little even.

I hope Kiely tears strips off themā€¦barely went through the motions and one of our six main bogey teams coming up.

1 Like

They ran a half marathon Friday.

Hardly?

Try to keep it competitive,beating that shower by 30 odd points every time is a waste of time. Expect much more movement next week.

Congratulations on your one point aggregate win over the weekend lads

Sounded like King had a decent game todayā€¦

Congratulations to Limerick with a good win over tricky and skillful opponents Laois in our opener today. Off to a good start, letā€™s keep it going.

The King is dead, long live Psycho.

Offaly beating Dublin and looking decent enough is good for us. Thereā€™s no point hammering any team at this stage of the league, but as we know, losing to poor Offaly teams isnā€™t any good for confidence.

Offaly did actually look good and particularly in these conditions, physically very strong but have also added a bit of pace in the middle third. Dublin had 7 or 8 newcomers and were missing the Cuala lads but they were comprehensively beaten.

Weā€™re also missing a lot of players between the Na Piarsaigh boys and injuries. I do think we have better depth than Dublin and should have enough but going up to Tullamore should be a decent test. And at least weā€™ve been forewarned, no excuse for complacency.

3 Likes

Exactly.

As results last night and today showed 1B is a bear pit. Two points is two points.

Laois were game, their keeper is excellent. But we never looked in trouble at any time really.

Full backline was, by and large, solid again. Another clean sheet. Finn is our first choice corner back. Richie English also played well in a welcome return to form. Hickey gets a lot of flak but as a spoiler he has done well in the last couple of games.

Paddy Oā€™Loughlin was a bit of a left field pick. In fairness I thought he was one of our better performers. Late mistake that led to a Laois score aside he was disciplined and his distribution was impressive.

Lynch his usual industrious self and got a few nice scores. No more debate - just leave him at centre field now. Browne was a mixed bag, more good than bad overall and a few scores thrown in too.

The big issue at the moment is the forward alignment. Gillane & Tom Morrissey were the only two starters to make an impression. Morrissey is just so accurate. Rarely misses when the chance is on. Gillane was impressive and probably our MOTM. The real test will come against a Cathal Barrett or corner backs of that ilk.

Flanagan couldnā€™t get into it. The Hegarty as an inside forward experiment has to end. Butchered a gilt edged goal chance in the first half when a pass to Gillane would have led to a tap in. Barry Oā€™Connell & DOD are not forwards either. Seem to be going for workers in the half forward line. Donā€™t think that alone will cut it later in the year. Reidy came on and sniped over 0-03, there could be a few changes v Offaly.

Going to be a tough game in Tullamore next week. Thereā€™ll be a big home crowd after their trouncing of the Dubs. Would happily take a shit-on-a-stick one point win of any description.

Still unbeaten in the calendar year as things stand anyway. Pity we donā€™t have a full deck to pick from at the moment.

Lovely tribute to Dolores Oā€™Riordan today. :clap::clap::clap:

10 Likes

I know it was only Laois, but Gillane is making a serious case for him to start in Championship. In fact, Iā€™d go as far to say as heā€™s making himself invaluable- he is absolutely deadly in front of goal. And he creates chances goal chances; heā€™s got pace, heā€™s good in the air and his touch is decent, even at this time of year. He just has natural scoring instincts too.

Things didnā€™t go for Hegarty & Flanagan today. Flanaganā€™s touch was just a bit off and you canā€™t afford that in these conditions. Should get a few more chances. Hegarty got a goal but wasnā€™t involved really; just doesnā€™t have the acceleration needed for the corner or the natural instincts that someone like Gillane shows; that goal chance was a prime example, shot from a ridiculously tight angle straight at the keeper when he needed to either take it on or lay it off to the man in support. I kinda feel sorry for him as he definitely has something to offer, just further out the field. Barry Murphy looked very lively when he came on too.

Morrissey was excellent again; everything he struck went over, he works his socks off and he takes men on. People say he lacks the pace when the ground hardens up, but his natural game is taking people on. Iā€™ve always been a big fan, but you could have said that he was lucky to keep his starting positions for the U-21s last year but heā€™s flying it at the moment. I thought DOD & BOC were good too; both got through a lot of work and created chances for others; midfield benefited a lot coming onto ball. Malachy didnā€™t have an impact when he came on; Reidy is absolutely deadly accurate aswell, scored 3 nice points.

Lynch & Browne looks like a good partnership. It definitely suits Lynch, he can win the dirty ball and is the best man on the panel for picking a pass and itā€™s better to have him doing that facing goal than coming away from it in the half-forward line. Browne was busy beside him and is going well so far.

Dan Morrisssey was impressive, and I think centre-back is actually his best position, rather than the wing. Neither Paddy Oā€™Loughlin nor Willie Oā€™Meara were starters for the 21s last year, Iā€™m not even sure they were on the bench. But Oā€™Loughlin did well today. Byrnes scored 2 good points and is good defensively but did one or two silly things also.

Hickey fell over twice today chasing a man, which is worrying. I thought heā€™s been good at full-back to date, but wasnā€™t great today imo. Finn & English were decent, although Finn did get turned way too easily by King once where it could have been a goal. English is looking decent, heā€™s very physical and a natural defender.

Puck-outs were decent, nice and quick for the most part, got us moving.

I think the team out there today is what Kiely considers his first-choice ā€œavailableā€ selection. Obviously there are a lot of players missing. I would like to see Hegarty get a run further out the pitch, Iā€™d hope that Malachy gets a shot from the start despite not setting the world alight today- either at wing-back or in the forwards. Reidy really put his hand up too, heā€™s been superb for his club in recent times, Iā€™d like to see him get another chance either at half-forward or full-forward. Richie Mac was on the bench today, I think, I assume heā€™ll get gametime at some point and I wouldnā€™t mind English getting at least 1 game at full-back, with Hickey in the corner.

10 Likes

I would agree about Gillane, it is the balance he has when the ball is coming in that is different than all the other forwards. Only Casey has the same level of stick work or movement on the panel. I actually though Oā€™Donovan was poor until the last quarter. Cain Lynch ran the show.

1 Like