Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

You’d be a mug not to if you’re a betting man.

I would not bet against my own but that is a decent bet .

Not a lot to turn to on the bench if it’s not going well.

1 Like

Pessimistic cunts

2 Likes

A bit realistic tbh . Team still young and raw , no Na P , a few injuries and a good few lads had Fitzgibbon cup during the week .

Offaly seem better and fitter , will be buoyed by last week & they always made it hard in last few years .

I think we will win but I Offaly are a decent value bet .

We know people think offaly are a decent bet, it’s been mentioned often enough here over the last few days

Kiely wasn’t the U-21 manager last year though, Donnelly was. It is a little unusual but to be fair, he obviously sees a bit of a gap in that position and the entire half-back line for the U-21s last year is currerntly available. He gave Malachy a couple of games there last year so I’m a little surprised he hasn’t got a shot but O’Loughlin was decent the last day.

And Gillane, Flanagan and Murphy may be newcomers but they are good players and it’s not as if Offaly are overloaded with established stars either. Their best player the last day was Kelly, who is even younger than Gillane, I think.

Offaly do have nothing to lose, but that’s the same as always against them. We’ve got a bit of forewarning and the team we have out there should be good enough, I think it’s a quite decent team.

1 Like

It’s not linear though, lads. A lot of hurling men trace everything back through U21 and minor teams. Different players mature, improve, stall, have good and bad spells of form at different times. Just because some fella wasn’t a first choice on a minor or U21 doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve a chance in a given game.

3 Likes

Ah here

I’ve a feeling this Colin ‘Malachy’ Ryan chap is going to be a huge letdown for ye, what has he ever done to deserve the plaudits he’s getting here?

The vast majority of this Limerick panel are very very young; pretty much none of them have done anything at senior level yet.

But he is clearly one of the best hurlers in the county.

From the little I’ve seen (relatively) he’s a decent stickman with a decent engine, good man to Hoover a bit of loose ball but I wouldn’t see him as any sort of solution, does he have the requiredphysicality? I’d see him as a Paul Browne light

He’s physical and tough as old boots. He’ll get down into the trenches and battle. He can take frees and is quite accurate at point scoring. Also has a fantastic paw on him for catching dropping ball.

1 Like

Well I look forward to seeing more of him so, there’s an awful lot of competition for the 5 and 7 jerseys, would it be more appropriate to give him a run in midfield?

Not as mobile as Paul Browne but a far better hurler , better in the sky and a lot harder . A fine hurler but I wonder does the current management rate him .

That’s not really an apt comparison at all. He plays the game with a much more physical style than Paul Browne, he wants to make hits/shoulders, run directly at people and likes to mix it. He’s very very good in the air, probably the strongest in the panel bar maybe Kyle and Byrnes.

I would say that his stickwork isn’t as good as Browne tbh. And as a forward, he mightn’t score enough from play, although he’ll definitely win frees. What I do like about him is that he gets his head up, no matter what position he’s in, and tries to give as good a ball as possible to his teammates.

I don’t know what his fitness is like or his application in training, etc. but I have seen quite a bit of both players, and Paddy O’Loughlin is not better than him.

3 Likes

He was brilliant against Cork in the U21 last year but he had a handy evening, if Fitzgibbon had played we’d have found out a bit more about him. Did he have a decent opponent throughout that run? Until he gets a few looks in the senior team we won’t know for sure, i just feel he’s being hyped massively here, Reidy is another who’s getting mentioned a fair bit.

He was the decisive influence in the U-21 win over a very strong Tipp in 2015 when we were down to 14. Was superb throughout that year actually, brilliant in the semi-final too.

They are only U-21 performances but he definitely has more about him.

And tbf Reidy has only been mentioned at all since he scored 3 points from the bench the last day. I don’t think anyone expects he will start in the summer, but people quite rightly, thought that maybe that was enough to start this weekend.

Surely not?

Fair assessment. Good player. Probably being overhyped but the muldoons on here love repeating “Malachy” this and “has a bit of cut about him” that to each other which is why he keeps getting mentioned. Thought he was less influential for the 21s as the year wore on last year. Has possibly suffered from his versatility. Would definitely like to see him get a few runs during the league.