Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Hard to know what to make of today. Offaly were absolutely shite. They missed at least 1-7 through deplorable wides and the last 30 minutes was a glorified training session.

2 Likes

The early exchanges in Tullamore today were entertaining enough as Offaly brought a bit of swagger and some off-the-cuff flicks to create a few openings, while we were going with hurling by numbers which looked very ugly as it all predictably broke down in midfield. Offaly ran out of steam after about 20 minutes though and Limerick were very comfortable thereafter. Cian Lynch was excellent at midfield and Gillane by a distance the pick of the forwards. Encouraging signs of a bit of a return to form from Byrnes who also went for a few points from distance and scored (!!!). Quaid pulled off a couple of wonder saves to keep the clean sheet. Offaly were dire in the second half though, and the missed frees, including a few from sub Shane Dooley, only compounded their woes.

Other observations: Ref very fussy and very inconsistent with the steps rule. The selection of buns in the tea room in Bórd na Móna O’Connor Park is outstanding.

12 Likes

A good result seeing they were on a high from the previous week. A young team matched them in the physical exchanges. Quaid, Byrnes, Richie English, Lynch, O’Donovan and Gillane the standouts for Limerick.

3 Likes

The selection of buns was too fucking good

1 Like

I was in there myself. Desperate stuff. No sense of structure or style beyond everyone dropping back.
6 points down and still persisting with one up front. The only bright spot was the excellent score taking when the chances did arise.

First goal was shocking too. Ref was also terrible.

Just back from Bord na Mona O’Connor Park, Tullamore.

Very pleasing result and display. Didn’t see that coming.

Few pre match pints in Eugene Kelly’s. Michael Duignan was in there but I won’t log it as a celebrity spot.

Took my place in the stand just before throw in and it was almost an unofficial TFK meet up - @iron_mike @Watchyourtoes and hurling stalwart @chops91 all sat in front of me. To cap it off friend of the forum Hammy Dawson was only a few yards away also.

Offaly the better side early on but from then up to full time we steamrolled them. Quaid made a brilliant save just before the Biffos got a penalty which they drilled wide. Would have put them two points up. Quaid made another terrific save in the second half too but overall we looked fairly compact back there. English close enough to MOTM. Hickey & Finn also diligent. Dan Morrissey good again while Byrnes chipped in with a couple from play.

Offaly were very poor. Apart from the opening quarter they were dire. Game over once they lad a lad sent off on a second yellow early in second half. Picked them off at ease once we went five or six up. Gillane again the pick of the forwards. Missed a couple of frees at the start of the second half but rock solid on them otherwise. Every time the ball goes into him you fancy him to win it and create something. On fire at the moment. Certainly taking his chance amid all the absentees.

Hegarty beaten for the first six or seven balls that went into him inside, lucky not to be taken off truth be told, but much better when moved out to the half forward line. Finished with 0-03 and got the score of the game with an outrageous point from the sideline.

Really good work rate throughout the side. Lynch so much more at home at centre field and Browne dovetails well with him. Darragh O’Donovan put a crazy shift in, blocking and harrying all day long.

We’ve beaten Laois and Offaly so no need for booking the Red Cow yet but overall it has been a positive start this year. We look organised, seem to know what we’re at and there’s a good spirit there which seems to be evident in all JK teams. Scraped past an even worse Offaly team a couple of years back so nice to despatch them without much fanfare today.

Plenty to mull over ahead of the Dublin game on Saturday week.

Lovely roaster carvery in the Bridge House Hotel after.

Next stop Ruislip next Sunday.

13 Likes

That was an absolute belter of a score, tipped over the defenders head and struck on the run from way out on the right wing. He was harshly pulled back a few minutes before for steps when he had his man turned again.

1 Like

He was frustrating in the firSt half. He was much better in the second half. On the down side, he needs ano acre and a half space to strike the ball

Who went into the corner when Hegarty came out? Hegarty is a very decent half-forward imo and well worth his place there.

Barry Murphy came on for “Barry O’Donnell” and played closer to goal.

Ah it was a cracker alright, terrific bit of skill.

Plenty to consider now. If the captain slots back in at 6 do you put Morrissey outside him? When Hayes is fit do you play him at wing forward? Richie Mc looks to have a battle to get back in but far tougher tests await for that full backline. If it’s either Dowling or Gillane for the frees you’d have to go with Gillane as he offers more from play at the moment.

1 Like

The biggest advantage we have at the moment is that the missing NAP players are not having the same effect as the Kilmallock and NAP campaigns of 15 and 16. Bar Peter Caseyou, you can’t see any of the rest of them guaranteed a starting place. Given Gullanes current form, you would have to pick him ahead of Dowling

And not even a thank you, you ungrateful swine

1 Like

I felt like a member of the Stonecutters today meeting @iron_mike and @dodgy_keeper two sound lads for complete strangers from the internet!

7 Likes

Hegarty is a great lad, in fairness to Kiely he plucked him from the wilderness really in 2015 intercounty wise with the 21s. He has a lot to offer and his hurling will improve, did chip in with 3 points today. Gillanes form and Cian Lynch at midfield are pleasing as is bating Offaly, too often we’ve failed to do so.

Would not question his work rate. He certainly isn’t one for the full forward line. There is potential there but he needs to be quicker with his decision making.

Id prefer to see him in the halfback line, but he could a job as a half forward.

All in all, today is a very pleasing result.

Stop with the lies… @iron_mike is a proper cunt.

Yes. He’s way better facing the ball. Result was pleading indeed. I would gladly have taken a one point win before throw in. But as I said Offaly missed at least 1-7 that was scorable and in fairness it was the exact opposite of the Dublin game. Nothing went right for them. Offaly jumped the shark 15 minutes into the second half

A pure wanker I heard.