Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Dropping or letting it be pulled out of his hand?

Dropping it.

Ffs most of the time he doesn’t even hold on to the hurley

1 Like

2/3 times last year it was pulled from him rather than him dropping it … v Cork and v KK.

1 Like

I’ve watched him a lot since he was a young fella and I think the turning point came in a Limerick SHC game v Kilmallock in 2016 in Bruff.

He always had bags of skill and was great with ball in hand but, as he admitted himself, winning his ball was a problem. Back then he was very prone to trying to control the ball with the hurley as opposed to catching it. That day in Bruff he soared. Caught a few balls off the very experienced Paudie O’Brien and made use of all of them. So much so, that Kilmallock moved the even more experienced Gavin O’Mahony on to him - Gavin didn’t spare the timber either.

Gillane did wreck. I was with a couple of Well men and commented that the penny had finally dropped for the lad. He took a few flakes and thrived on it. The upward curve has continued since, but that day really stood out for me as a watershed.

3 Likes

The golden rule at that level is never ever lose your Hurley. Gillane at the slightest hint of his hurling being held dropped it. It seemed to throw defenders but it still meant he didn’t have a Hurley. He’s changed that now. You could say it was pulled alright but gillane seemed to just let go a lot of the time. I was at a well game last year possibly the county quater final and he must have lost it 5 times.

1 Like

I saw what was I think his first ever game for Limerick in a Waterford Crystal match below in Dungarvan. It was very early on under Kiely and Kinnerk too. Maybe first or second game.

We were bateing the shite out of Waterford and they had started lowering the blade. Real filthy stuff now. Gillane came on. Got his little belt off the corner back. Gave it back in spades. After a few minutes the corner back regretted his little dig because Gillane had given it back to him 5 times over, reddened him. You knew then he’d the stomach for it.

The ref could have sent off 5 or 6 that day.

1 Like

Is there a prize for who saw gillane star first ?

7 Likes

There was a score yesterday, Hego played a lovely diagonal ball across the defender to Gillane.

Most forwards with a similar ball let it bounce and then touch it into the hand. That is the point where a good corner-back will strike and get a flick in.

But Gillane reaches out, takes it straight in the paw. What can a corner-back do? Generally you just try and shepherd him away from goal and the Waterford man did but Gillane popped it over anyway.

It’s a seriously underrated skill.

1 Like

I remember gillane pucking on my lawn as a child. He was a highly promising 12 year old and nearly sure he was the star at a Tony forrestial. The only reason he wasn’t on that minor team was the fact he went to Clements and not ard scoil ris probably. If he was playing harty he’d have been spotted. The amount of politics involved in those underage squad is unreal at times.

2 Likes

A question for some of the “stalwarts”. About to head off living abroad, and looking for the ultimate bandwagoner hoody. I notice O’Neills XL tops all sold out online. Anyone know how often they reissue them? Is it possible to get an O Neills hoody, with Limerick colours, but without the crest? As in, a generic O Neills hoody? I’d imagine you’d have to be involved in a club to get a special order?

Anyone know when Powers put up the Hurler of the Year prices?

Some haircut he has from Sheila’s Uppercuts.

Gillane went to Ard Scoil you mental case

1 Like

Sorry but I dont think he played harty that year of 2013.

He moved to ASR from Clements?

I saw Gillane play an u16 soccer cup final alongside Cian Lynch. He met one ball on the volley from a corner clearance outside the box and put it in the top corner. We knew then that he was special.

3 Likes

I remember seeing him in Mary I, in the canteen … the way he ordered his lunch from the lady behind the counter … I knew then he was special.

13 Likes

Where are you going pal?