Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Big, strong, pacy, athletic. Very hard-working, good at running at defenders, clearly has a decent brain, decent in the air. And would have played there a nice bit too. I always thought he looked to pass the ball too much when he was a minor but I wouldn’t mind him slotting in for Hego or Kyle if they were out.

Don’t think it will happen this year though.

1 Like

I just don’t see it at all. I think he’s a natural full forward. Casey is probably our best player with the ball in hand but he’s probably not the quickest nor is he as good at winning the ball as gillane or seamus. At the moment id start Dowling ahead of Morrissey and flanagan ahead of Casey. If a team plays a sweeper against us it means they can’t double mark gillane. Id want as many ball winners in those six forwards as possible. Pity about wod being injured. Think we could really do with him v cork too.

Don’t see it myself personally!

His auld lad was a half forward for Limerick.

15 Likes

True! Tough centre forward in his day. Be intersting what happens with Finn and Casey too.

WOD is back training so if goes well in the club games should be there or thereabouts in 6 weeks time as he is definitely a Kiely favourite. It’s great to have options in the full forward line especially I personally think if everyone fit the HF line stays as is. Collectively on Sunday they put in a monumental shift and we then unleash the Dow with 15-20 to go. Looks like Pat Simon has fallen back a bit in the reckoning but the top of the ground conditions will suit him in the summer.

Be difficult for wod to break in but he’s suited perfectly to counter corks pace.

Ah lads :smile:

I don’t get this corks pace thing. Outside of Fitzgibbon I don’t think they’ve anyone outside of the ordinary pace wise.

Lehane is very quick and took dan m for a run a few times early on in the drawn game before hannon went off injured. Kearney is a nippy little Bastard. Their movement and pace I thought really troubled our backs last year. Cadogan is also very quick.

1 Like

With all due respects Dan Morrissey isn’t the quickest .

No but he’s extremely physical and aerially dominant. Wod is exactly the type of lad id like v cork but would rather dan against kk. Cork will look to keep the ball on the ground as much as possible and take limericks backs out of their positions as much as possible.

I said early last year I thought his long term position would be at half forward he has all the attributes. He was only used there in the cork game when he switched out to wing when Morrissey was taken off before then being taken off himself.

Flanagan was subbed off precisely six minutes after Morrissey.

He should have been off before him.

Really? He had a point scored, set up the goal and created a lot of space for gillane to go to town on the cork defense with selfless runs. That game could have it been over at half time if he’d taken his chances. I’ve seen a lot more of flanagan than most and the only place I’d pick him at this level is 14.

:rollseyes: Flanagan had 0-1 scored and 1-2 directly created in the Semi Final v Cork. Your blind spot with him (due to him keeping both Dowling and Casey out of the side last year and possibly again this year) is a bit laughable at this stage, but carry on anyway

2 Likes

Not to mention the multiple chances he created for gillane by pulling his man into no man’s land leaving limerick with a two man full forward line. He kept making those runs over and over again despite rarely being picked out. One of the few times he found the ball in this area out on the wing he picked out lynch who buried the goal.

Flanagan gives Lynch a super pass from the corner for the goal. Razor accurate straight to hand, carves open their defence. Give a look at the resulting puck out from Anthony Nash approx 10/15 or so seconds later…

I watched the Cork semi-final back recently, and generally, we played very well; but we gave away some sloppy scores and we struggled to deal with Dan Kearney. He was absolutely everywhere.

Tbf to Meyler, he’s got more out of a clearly talented player in Kearney than any other Cork manager was able to; he was superb below in Páirc Uí Chaoimh too.

1 Like