Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Us

Mungret 1-16 Cappamore 0-12 in Claughaun. Cold & windy, but while the wind was a factor, it wasn’t as prevalent as it was in Kilmallock this afternoon or in Hospital yesterday evening.

Mungret had a narrow half-time lead, the likes of Niall Mulcahy & Liam Harrington inside in the full-forward line were a threat, while Richie Burke was a lot more accurate on the frees than Tommy O’Donoghue. Mungret’s half-back line was dominant, particularly Brian Barry at centre-back. Pa Begley hit two nice points from play and had a second half goal chance saved.

But Cappamore were still well in touch, when their wing-back, Patrick Doyle, was sent off. He had seen yellow for a reckless pull on Begley (for which the Mungret crowd were baying for a red) and about 5 minutes later, he had another wild pull on Mullins and was sent off by Paddy Lyons. Cappamore had a sub literally about to replace him, he tried to hand the sub slip to the ref before the card was given but no joy. Tbh, the Cappamore management should have pulled him off much quicker, everyone could see it coming and he had been under serious pressure from Begley throughout (giving away a lot of height).

Cappamore, in fairness, had the better of things after that and O’Donoghue landed a few frees with the wind at his back. But a Niall Mulcahy goal was crucial with about 5 minutes to go; he cut inside the corner-back and finished past the keeper. Chams Jagana was lively off the bench, showed good hands and great pace even with his unusual soloing style (bouncing the ball on the bas as he runs). Overran two balls after great catches but then scored a sensational point, running about 70 metres and finishing on the angle.

The Cappamore full-back line did alright considering the pressure they were under, their centre-back was solid and Adam Coleman inside was a threat but were never able to get the final pass to work a goal chance and Mungret were deserving winners in the end, if not sensational either.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

Guess who got a crucial goal for the Bouncers on their return to senior?

The bould Donie stepped up again.

5 Likes

Doon were very poor, surprised.

They have very very little done I was told . They plan to up it later in the year . One thing about Doon is that their county players with the exception of English don’t exert the kind of dominance they might be expected to .

They didn’t stand out today allright.

Twas him that kicked off the row too

Considering the conditions yesterday, I actually thought the Well-Doon game was a decent standard.

It was a cunt of a day, gale blowing down towards the clubhouse end, the pitch was in shit, it was bitterly cold but there was a nice bit of intensity to it for a club game.

There were skill errors, obviously enough, but I thought both sides were trying to play the right way- winning clean possession, support runners off the shoulder, moving the ball into space. And then there were a few flashes of brilliance too, the Lynch point before English’s red was class and Gillane’s pass for Flynn’s goal.

A few bad belts too but shur look…

Doon have really fucked themselves now though with the two reds

I was talking to someone involved with Morroe Boher. He assured me there’d be violence as the the other crowd were mental.

We could have been talking to the same fella :grin:

Not really. They still will get through to the quater finals later in the year. The top 4 are way ahead of Adare and Liberties. Would imagine Ballybrown and Monaleen might be the 2 from B to play Doon and maybe the Well.

I think they’ll lose to Kilmallock but I’d be shocked if they lose to Adare or South Liberties and that should be enough. It was enough for Patrickswell last year and Doon only beat them by a point in the semi-final.

Relegation battle next week between Adare and Liberties. Adare should have more than enough to see them through.

Kilmallock V Doon - Kilmallock should win - Doon have to cool down, get through the game and set themselves up for later in the year

NAP and the Well - Nobody will beat Na P this year and the only thing that will stop them in Munster/Ireland will be Limerick going on a run.

Fixed

I haven’t seen Liberties this year but Adare looked alright at the weekend, a 5-point loss to Kilmallock isn’t the worst. You’d fancy them alright but Liberties would have been targeting this game from a long way out.

Again, I didn’t see Na Piarsaigh but on paper, yeah, hard to see them being beaten. I did think the Well looked a lot better.

The second group is really a lot more interesting tbh.

Na Piarsaigh were missing about four regulars yesterday with the gaps being plugged by a couple of older and younger lads. They’ll hardly be back next week. It’ll be an interesting battle with The 'Well.

The internal arguments in Na Piarsaig beat them last year. Ballygunner were just there to pick up the pieces. They wont be stopped this year

Did you get a programs at the weekend and if so can you throw up pics of the various teamsheets?