Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Is Paul Beary going?

Looks like we’re going to have serious weather for the second round of Championship, which is nice. The wind had a big influence on the games on Saturday particularly, but also on Sunday. Some of the pitches weren’t in the best of states but we’ve had very good weather since Monday so hopefully they won’t be too bad.

Senior Hurling Championship Group 1
Saturday April 20
Adare (1/5) vs South Liberties (7/2) @4.15pm in Bruff
Doon (11/4) vs Kilmallock (1/3) @6pm in Bruff

Sunday April 21
Na Piarsaigh (2/7) vs Patrickswell (11/4) @2pm in Kilmallock

In the ‘Senior A’ group, we’ve got a double header in Bruff tomorrow, should be two interesting games. The first looks to be a relegation decider, even at this early stage. Adare are big, big favourites with the bookies and you would have to fancy them, just would look to have that bit more about them. But this is the one Liberties would have been targeting, we’ll see what they’re made of. The scoreline of Kilmallock’s win last week mightn’t have been that convincing, but they were pretty comfortable at the same time. Doon didn’t take advantage of the wind in the first half and red cards for Richie English & Darragh Stapleton, two important players, means you’d have to fancy Kilmallock to make it 2 wins from 2 here.

Na Piarsaigh vs Patrickswell is also part of a double header, with NaP2 on Sunday. Patrisckwell were impressive in their victory over Doon, but this will be an even bigger test. Na Piarsaigh hammered Liberties as expected, and I think Mick Church will want to lay down an early marker, I’d fancy them to edge the Well out but these two teams could very well meet again.

Senior Hurling Championship Group 2
Friday April 19
Ahane (15/8) vs Ballybrown (4/9) @6.45pm in Claughaun

Saturday April 20
Garryspillane (2/1) vs Monaleen (4/9) @6pm in Caherconlish

Sunday April 21
Knockainey (3/1) vs Murroe/Boher (1/3) @1pm in Caherconlish

Tonight, Ballybrown are looking to make it 2 wins from 2 and really set them on their way to bounce back to Group 1. You’d always have expected them to beat Knockainey, Ahane will present a stiffer test. At the same time, if Ballybrown can do anything to hold Tom Morrissey, they probably have that bit more about them and I reckon they’ll get the win. The Bouncers got a draw first day out, while Monaleen had an important win. I do think this is a hard one to call, but I have to go with Monaleen to edge it.

Knockainey have been fighting relegation for a few years, and while they’ve always managed to pull out a vital win to keep them up, it’s hard to see where it’s going to come from this year. Maybe this is the one if Murroe/Boher aren’t totally up to speed yet; there was a 5-point margin last year although a draw between them in 2016 ended up with Murroe/Boher being surprisingly relegated. I’d still fancy the side from the East this weekend.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship
Friday April 19
Blackrock (5/4) vs Mungret (8/11) @6.45pm in Bruff
Bruff (2/7) vs Bruree (3/1) @6.45pm in Kilmallock

Saturday April 20
Cappamore (5/4) vs Dromin/Athlacca (8/11) @6.30pm in Kilteely

Sunday April 21
Kildimo/Pallaskenry (4/6) vs Pallasgreen (5/4) @1pm in Claughaun

A couple of interesting ties tonight., the All-South clash between Bruff & Bruree is always a tough affair. Bruree pulled out a shock 7-point win against Bruff in the last round last year to stay up. Sometimes form goes out the window when rivals play and again, on paper, Bruff do have a better starting 15. They managed to eke out a win in the wind last weekend, and Paul Browne’s return will be huge; I think they should have enough. Mungret are also looking to make it 2 wins from 2 against Blackrock, who salvaged a draw against Pallasgreen. I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up a draw, I think Blackrock will be better this year than they were in 2018, while Mungret are missing Paul O’Brien.

It’s rare enough that a team just promoted is favourites against the team just relegated early in the Championship, and I thought Cappamore looked alright against Mungret. Dromin/Athlacca do have a couple of very dangerous forwards though. Again, I would be surprised if there’s much between them, I’ll go with the men from the South. We play Pallasgreen on Sunday, and you’d have to imagine it’ll be a lot closer than it was last year when Pallasgreen had very little to play for. Always a battle with them.

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 1
Friday April 19
Newcastlewest (7/2) vs Croom (1/4) @7pm in the Bog Garden

Saturday April 20
Tournafulla (6/4) vs Knockaderry (8/13) @6pm in Newcastlewest

Sunday April 21
Feohanagh (11/4) vs Na Piarsaigh (2/7) @4.30pm in Kilmallock

Some interesting results in the first round of this group too, and Newcastlewest’s odds have lengthened considerably as a result of their loss to Na Piarsaigh. Croom weren’t free-scoring but got their win over Tour and should have enough to win again here, if last week’s form is anything to go by.

There’s another West derby here as Knockaderry take on Tour in NCW. I’d say Tour will fancy their chances here despite Knockaderry’s win last weekend. Sure to be tight again, but you’d have to go with Knockaderry by a couple of points.

And if Newcastlewest’s odds have lengthened after Monday’s result, Na Piarsaigh’s have shortened considerably. They are now heavy favourites against Feohanagh, who will have been very disappointed by their loss. NaP’s win was very impressive in my book but 11/4 for Feohanagh? Maybe I’m an idiot to go against Na Piarsaigh two weeks in a row but Feohanagh are a fairly decent team, and I would have said were unlucky to be relegated. (Also, according to last weekend’s programme, they have a 12-man management team…)

Intermediate Hurling Championship Group 2
Friday April 19
Granagh/Ballingarry (7/4) vs Glenroe (4/9) @7.30pm in Martinstown

Saturday April 20
Effin (4/7) vs Hospital/Herbertstown (6/4) @6pm in Kilfinane
Drom/Broadford (3/1) vs St. Patrick’s (2/7) @6pm in Croagh

Out in Stakerland tonight, Granagh/Ballingarry will be eager to bounce back from a disappointing draw with Pats but you’d have to fancy Glenroe to live up to their favourites tags and get the win. Another All-South clash between H/H & Effin; I’d just about fancy Effin here. And I do reckon Pat’s will beat Drom/Broadford. It was a good point to pick up last week with only 14 men and they should be winning this to be fair.

That’s:

Adare, Kilmallock, Na Piarsaigh, Ballybrown, Monaleen, Murroe/Boher
Bruff, Dromin/Athlacca and a draw between Mungret & Blackrock
Croom, Knockaderry, Feohanagh, Glenroe, Effin, St. Pat’s

6 Likes

Great preview. Any matches being streamed this week?

I haven’t heard, there’s nothing about it on their Twitter page. I would have thought that Kilmallock vs Doon was an obvious one to stream. Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing Ahane vs Ballybrown tonight.

Patrickswell vs Na Piarsaigh is deferred on TG4 on Sunday.

Ahane beat Ballybrown
Bruff just ahead v Bruree
Glenroe up against dodgys crowd
Croom beat NCW

2 Likes

Two quick goals have GB back level with Glenroe

LIVE GAA: @limerickgaatv & our sister company @StreamsportI to show live double header of @LimerickCLG SHC ties between @AdareGAA V @SouthLibertiesG at 4:15pm followed by @DoonGaaClub V @KilmallockGAA at 6pm. #BSHSHC #SportLK #LimerickGAA

1 Like

Glenroe win 1-22 to 3-14

Blackrock 2-18 Mungret 4-14

Is this tomorrow or Sunday?

Tomorrow

Jesus that was an inspirational interview with Dessie Fitz on the Late Late

An absolute cracker in Bruff between Blackrock and Mungret. It really was a lovely evening for hurling, both teams played a decent brand of hurling, there was a nice tempo to it, a bit of bite and plenty of excitement for the neutral spectator.

It’s one that Blackrock will feel that they left behind them, probably should have earned a point at least. Mungret did very well to hold on, played the last 15 minutes with only 14 men after centre-back, Brian Barry, was sent off.

It was tit-for-tat early on, Ruairí O’Shaughnessy was dangerous as usual inside for Blackrock, while their half-back line featuring the two Moloneys and Marty Farrell was strong throughout. Brendan Giltenane was very lively for Mungret and Barry at centre-back was very good too. Eamonn Stapleton awarded a soft penalty to Mungret for what looked like a block on the run of Mullins, but although Niall Mulcahy had gone on a great run, the pass was well behind him and I thought it was a very harsh penalty. Richie Burke buried it in the top corner anyway.

Again, it was even enough and Blackrock bounced back well to bring it level again, Paudie Leahy hit some very nice scores, he’s a serious sharpshooter, while Burke hit a good few frees for Mungret and Giltenane hit two from play. Then Mungret got one of the softest goals you’ll ever see… Malachy scored a free from inside in his own half against Blackrock last week, this was a sideline from the '45 that went all the way to the back of the net. Mungret then scored the last three points of the half to lead by 6 at the break.

Again, when Blackrock worked the lead back a bit, Mungret got another goal. Pa Begley drifted into the corner, took the ball clean, fucked Nigel Hosford to the ground and buried it in the corner. Poor defending from Hosford really but again Blackrock fought back and Kevin Palmer really stepped up at centre-forward and dragged them into it. He flighted a ball in to full-forward and Gavin O’Loughlin, who I believe is a new signing from Cork, flicked the ball into the top corner. He’s not the most mobile in the world but he has a nice pair of hands and a good first touch.

It was back to three points anyway when Barry got sent off; I didn’t really see it, he won the ball clean from the puckout, he must have been deemed to have struck someone in the process. But again, as Blackrock closed the gap, Mungret got another goal; Chams Jagana came off the bench, went on a run and buried it. He did hit it straight at the keeper who was very unconvincing and it went in.

Palmer was fouled for a penalty which Leahy scored, which did make it an interesting finish. Conor O’Brien saved from Liam Walsh after a great run; Leahy had a couple of late 21-yard frees saved and they ended up losing by 2.

I thought Kevin Palmer was top class in the second half for Blackrock and David Moloney and Marty Farrell were superb in their half-back line. But Mungret were always able to get the goals, Pa Begley got a couple of vital scores and Richie Burke’s freetaking was superb. Very enjoyable game to watch, good showcase for club hurling in Limerick, and for the Premier Intermediate grade. Blackrock definitely better than last year but will be very disappointed to only have a point. I’d say Mungret aren’t motoring as well, maybe a little blunt up front without Paul O’Brien… Eoin O’Doherty hasn’t been starting in the backs either; but 4 goals is nothing to be sniffed at either.

7 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1ZMB0QViFE

1 Like

Adare winning but Brian Ryan just buried a 20m free. Just about keeping them alive.

Two goals from Willie Griffin killed the game. 4-22 to 2-12 or something along those lines was the final score.

Good lively start to the Doon-Kilmallock game, Cathal Mac has just made a big save from Graeme. Philip O’Loughlin got a yellow for a late tackle on Barry Murphy.

DOD has scored a sideline already but very nice points from both Mulcahys and Pat Simon too. Plenty of intensity.

Doon 0-10 to 1-05 up HT. A bit of cut to this one. Kilmallock are playing way too much short ball. Oisin Reilly scored a good goal. Pat Simon acting the ape.

The stream is brutal tonight. Keeps going offline.