Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

Askeaton have a glin lad hurling with them this year. We’d have a few senans lads then in the Bord na NOg just for hurling.

Senans would have fielded a junior b hurling team up to about 15 years ago. We picked up a few when they folded but they only played a couple of seasons.

Askeaton used to have a few Glin lads playing for them in the 90s and the odd lad from Foynes here and there but in general they don’t play. Senans used to have half decent underage hurling sides when I was growing up, but don’t think they even field a team anymore? Some talk of them restarting again recently I think

Athea have started up a hurling nursery and are hoping to draw from Glin, Ballyhahill, Loughill areas too.

Glin fielded a Junior B Hurling team for about 3 years in a row in the early 00s

2 Likes

Big win tonight? — I see my old pal who I was questioning Runt about today in the Ballysteen thread also lines at at FB for ye?

A bad bad oul week for predictions. 4 draws in the top two grades were a killer, but even still, plenty of surprises. 6/15 is embarrassing enough.

So Adare beating South Liberties was the only one I got right at senior level, and there really was no surprise with that. That’s South Liberties pretty much fucked, I can’t see them beating any of the others and they didn’t even come close to Adare. Keeps Adare interested going into the summer break, if they can cause an upset, maybe they could sneak through. You would have thought that Kilmallock would have put an under-strength Doon to bed, but Doon were the better team and will be sickened they didn’t hold on for the win. The most impressive side to date are undoubtedly Patrickswell, who seem revitalised under Ciaran Carey. It’s early days yet and he will have been eager to lay down a marker, but that’s the first time Na Piarsaigh have been beaten in the club championship since July 2017. They’re still strong favourites for the title but it’s a nice boost for the Well after a disappointing year last year. NaP have serious resources but it must be hard for any manager when you’re missing 8 or 9 of your starting team until a couple of weeks before Championship.

None right in Group 2 of the senior, and two more draws prove again how tight it is. I said Knockainey would produce a performance, but they only got a draw against Murroe/Boher and remain last in the table… it’s been a few years since they managed to get two results in one Championship. The Bouncers will be happy enough with their return to senior, Monaleen probably would have been seen as favourites after beating Ahane but a draw for Garryspillane isn’t bad, although they were two goals up at half-time. John Kerins got both of those goals, who would be one of those players who’d be fighting hard for a starting place. But Ahane beating Ballybrown means it’s fairly even across the board, 4 teams on 2 points, Monaleen just ahead on 1. If someone can beat Monaleen, they’ll probably go up.

At our grade, Bruree proved Bruff’s bogey team again but a late free from Shane Bulfin levelled the game. I already spoke about Mungret against Blackrock, it was a big win for Mungret and puts them on 4 points already, along with ourselves, who scraped past Pallasgreen. Both Blackrock & Pallasgreen are just on 1, and definitely won’t want to lose another before the break… even 2 points would have you still well in contention. Another loss for Cappamore against D/A sees them bottom having come down from senior, and have a huge game against Bruree on Saturday.

Croom were the ones I actually got right and seem to be setting themselves up nicely as favourites at this level. I went against NaP2 again and was wrong again, they mugged Feohanagh off even without Will Henn. Shocking start for Feohanagh, they’ll really struggle to get out of the group now… surely too good to go down? Tour bate Knockaderry in the West derby, scoring 1-24 in the process, some going. They’ll fancy their chances against Feohanagh & NCW now and maybe make it out of the group.

Glenroe saw off a late comeback from dodgy’s boys and are leading that group, and you’d imagine they’ll come out fairly handy. The battle for the two remaining spots will be hard-fought; Drom/Broadford do look likely to come bottom and face into another relegation final. Pat’s are on 3, which is a great start for them while G/B are only on 1. You’d fancy them against Drom & H/H but will 5 be enough? Could come down to their game against Effin to see who qualifies.

3 Likes

Just the Premier Intermediate games this week, three tomorrow and one on Saturday.

Premier Intermediate Hurling Championship
Thursday April 25
Blackrock (6/4) vs Kildimo/Pallaskenry (1/2) @7.15pm in Kilmallock (Draw- 8/1)
Mungret (1/2) vs Dromin/Athlacca (13/8) @7.15pm in Mick Neville Park (Draw- 10/1)
Pallasgreen (6/4) vs Bruff (1/2) @7pm in Hospital (Draw- 10/1)

Saturday April 27
Bruree (4/6) vs Cappamore (11/10) @7pm in Bruff (Draw- 10/1)

Three teams fairly fancied on the Thursday; but Bruff are just after coming out of a game they were expected to win against Bruree with just a point, while Pallasgreen were level with ourselves going into injury time. Pallasgreen do struggle for scores from play, and Bruff definitely have more up front. But if Pallasgreen are on form, they don’t allow for fancy forward play from the opposition. I do think they’ll put it up to Bruff, but looking at the Bruff forwards on paper, I have to go with them. Malachy is surely not going to score another goal from inside his own half this week!

Mungret did well to hang on with 14 men against Blackrock, but will be without Brian Barry due to suspension. He’s been very good for them so far at centre-back and will be a loss. I haven’t seen Dromin/Athlacca in Championship yet but they are a good team, good forwards, and will threaten Mungret. Could be looking at a draw here.

Bruree and Cappamore will be a serious battle on Saturday. Even at this stage, you could be talking about a relegation battle. Cappamore will be very disappointed to their start at this grade, while Bruree are probably relatively happy with the draw against Bruff. A win here could even be enough to stay up, and then try and mount a challenge for the semi-finals. I do think Cappamore have more potential for improvement, and I’m going to give them a tentative nod (although another draw wouldn’t surprise me).

Bruff, Draw, Cappamore

Where do you get these odds from?

Paddy Mac

1 Like

Kildimo/Pallaskenry 1-16 Blackrock 1-16.

I’m like an absolute cunt after that; we fucked a point away. Fair play to Blackrock for battling to the death but we had it…

Bruff bate Pallasgreen & Dromin/Athlacca beat Mungret too.

Where does Kyle play for ye? What did he score?

He played wing-forward last week, but was midfield tonight. He scored 0-3.

1 Like

Conceded the last 5 points for the draw? Not good on field or sideline

No, I accept that. A lot of mistakes were made, we have to learn from them to ensure they don’t happen again.

Amateur hour

I think that’s all club games finished with now. No new injurys from what I’ve heard and the likes of Mike casey/wod have got valuable playing time. The seniors have a challenge tonight.

Bruree vs Cappamore tomorrow, no county players there.

Who they playing & where?

Going to play Tipp on the top of Keeper Hill for the right to their womenfolk in a raging storm.

It will be fucking epic when we release it to Netflix.

1 Like

What time?

Limerick play their second string in what will likely be harder than any game in Munster :sunglasses: