Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Don’t think him or hickey are on the subs.

Hickey & Hannon are out. I hope they stick with Seanie O’Brien in the corner and see how he goes.

Hannon is a bit of a loss, but I think Dowlings best position is FF as well and he is a better FF than Hannon IMO. If both were fit I would start both though.
Hickey should be dropped anyway.

1 Like

As far as I have seen Hannons best hurling for Limerick has always been done at 11

1 Like

He seems to be doing his best hurling in a long time since he went in FF this year. He doesn’t win enough of his own ball to be at half forward I think. Then again none of our forwards win enough of their own ball.

I think the way hurling has gone it is much harder to play half forward than centre forward. Where once upon a time your centre forward had to be a bull in a china shop type ball winner and the boys on the wings were supposed to be the slick lads, it has almost reversed in recent times. Players playing at 11 tend to get on the ball quite a lot and if they are accurate strikers can tot up a nice few scores a game. If you think back to his 3 or 4 best performances for Limerick, they have all came playing at 11.

1 Like

Hannons only good form at 14 has been against the likes of Kerry and Offaly. He hasn’t done it there against any decent team. He’s best position is 11. Fowling will struggle in a 2 man full forward like it doesn’t utilise any of the strengths.

Would agree Hannon is best at 11, as a loose 11 getting ball into hand and stroking it over. He hasn’t the mettle for full forward and never looks like grabbing you a goal.

He’s a better goal threat running from deep. As bad as he was in recent seasons for numerous reasons he is usually our highest scorer from play in a set up that doesn’t suit him.

Agree on the Dowling and Hannon switch. Dowling is good over a short distance but Hannon is more rangy, better guy to have carrying the ball from half forward. And Dowling is a better full forward than Hannon. Of Hannon’s goals that I saw for Mary I he was running in along the wing toward goal --Cregan said he had him at corner forward and he should play there for limerick… With a two man full forward line a switch back to wing night suit him too and give him space to run into.

Would this be the wrong place to say I really don’t give a shite?

Yes, simply don’t click on the thread title if you are not interested.

2 Likes

Probably yeah. Limerick posters care and we will spend the next six hours if we have to arguing the finer points of whether Hannon is better at wing forward, centre forward, corner forward, full forward, centre back or on the bench.

3 Likes

:eek: :anguished: :scream:

------------------- Nicky-----------------------------
Seanie O’B - Richie Mac - Richie English
------------------ R Lynch ---------------------------
D Byrnes - AN OTHER - G O’Mahony
----------- P Browne - C Lynch ------------------
S Dowling - D Hannon - T Morrissey
----------- K Downes - B Nash -------------------

I think this is our best 15 but I think we’ve a serious problem at 6, contenders are Hickey, Condon, Wayne Mac and none of those are ideal I feel. Dodge about two years ago would have been ideal for it.

The other question is James Ryan. For all his flaws he is some worker and i find it hard leaving him out, maybe at 11 with one of Dowling/Hannon/Morrissey to lose out? I think Downes and Nash would be very suited to a 2 man inside line.

Clare made a 6 out of Conor Ryan, who if im not mistaken, would have mostly been considered a rangy midfielder. Im wondering if Will O’Donaghue could be moulded into something similar, especially with the cover of a sweeper behind him. Not as goodt in the air as he should be for his size though

There are hours of discussion to be had on this topic and it’s been a quiet week. Non-believers can fuck off to the “Amn’t I Great At Cooking?” thread or the “Should Hermaphrodites be Executed Thread”.

Hannon is a drifter and shouldn’t be in a central position. Wing or corner-forward (in the increasingly vague sense of what a corner forward is at this stage). I’d be marginal on starting Dowling at this moment in time form-wise, but he could essentially play anywhere up front. Downes is still our best option for 14, and is limited outside of that position.

1 Like

Is Hegarty going to come in the half forward line for Dowling. I would love to see him bullying Gleeson, win ball over his head lad and lay it off to support. Hegarty could be a FF option also. Massive lad and quick.

I haven’t seen enough of Hegarty to know if he is a viable option in the forwards, but I was very impressed with his raw ability at u-21’s. I was disappointed there was not much use made of him in the league.

That was down to Hegarty more so than Teege to be fair

Any team without Jim Bob in it is not our best team.

1 Like