Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Wayne mc is perfect for 6 role with a sweeper. Heā€™s a very good man marker.

1 Like

Jim Bob might be worth a spin at centre back

I fear for my beloved Deise this weekend.

Waterford always feared Limerick

Dear god no to James Ryan at 11 again. Midfield or nowhere Iā€™m afraid.

Is Dempsey going to get a shot at all I wonder? I suspect no given how Teege discarded him before.

With Oā€™Connell gone too Oā€™Mahony is probably the best bet for 6. Iā€™d have simply played Ronan Lynch wing back but apparently weā€™re doing a sweeper now so heā€™ll stay put. Why hasnā€™t anyone mentioned Oā€™Brien for wing back? He was one of the few players to emerge with any credit last year and deserves to retain his spot.

Youā€™ll only see the best of Dowling at full forward. Hannon at half forward. Iā€™d also have Downes at half forward, and preferably tearing through the centre. Nash supporting Dowling inside.

1 Like

Conor Ryan wasnā€™t really viewed as anything up to 2012 in Clare. He was a sub on the ASR harty team around 2008 and centre forward for the Cratloe hurlers when they won the county in 2009. He played midfield and half forward for the 2011 under 21s and looked out of his depth. He was moved to centre back at club and county 21 level in 2012 and never looked back and really started to excel. He would have been seen as more of a workhorse in the half forward line than anything else up to that

Donal Mololey has always favoured a big physical presence at six in his underage sides from Kevin Lynch, Jamie Shanahan, Ryan, Alan Oā€™Neill and Conor Cleary. All big men who held the middle and were strong in the air.

1 Like

Would that be completely be out of the question?

Obviously Iā€™ve never seen Jim-Bob in the half-back line, think he might have played a game or two there for the Bouncers and the movement of another midfielder to the half-back line (Paudie) has pretty much ended his intercounty career. But Jim-Bobā€™s game is built on strength and aggression. Not going to let someone run past him easily.

Maybe a bit late to be making that change, but Dodge moved to centre-back and did pretty well.

Youā€™re only saying that.

I think youā€™re very close to our best line-up there. I would nearly put Hickey in at centre-back purely because he has that cover behind him in Ronan Lynch for when he slips or roams a bit. Alternatively Wayne Mac at 6. The cover in the shape of R Lynch has to be persevered with as we are so weak down the centre-back to full back spine. I like your forwards arrangement especially. A few weeks ago i mooted the same thing with Dowling at 10 and Hannon at 11, because with that 2 man full forward line neither of them have the required mobility for it. I would have to find a place for Jim Bob though. We need his fire and brimstone and a warrior like him on the field. I would nearly leave him at 9 and put Cian Lynch back to 12 in place of Morrissey who i think should drop out for now.

No to Jim Bob at centre back, ah lads. :grin:

1 Like

Lads ye are nuts. There is nothing more Limerick lads love to do than thinker with a team. James Ryan isnā€™t related to a 6. Heā€™s kind of lad you need at midfield to set the tone. Heā€™ll work himself into the ground and leave nothing out there. At 6 you need a cool head, good special awareness and with the sweeper system a tight marker. Ever since 2013 we done nothing but move away from a style and system that worked. Right backs, hard working midfield and forwards prepared to work incredibly hard to ensure no easy ball is cleared. We needed to tweak that system and improve it not completely disregard it.

Hannon to goals and Quaid to centre-back should be considered

7 Likes

+1

And please seamus hickey has been out of form for 18 months. He has one role man marking a corner forward. Heā€™s not 3 or 6 or midfielder. Itā€™s as simple as that.

Who will ye play corner forward on Sunday? Will there be two corner forwards or just the one? Would he be more suited to wing forward rather than corner? Will ye have any forwards at all? Maybe you should just play him in goals. Shur the ball wouldnā€™t be going into him right anyways.

Do you ever wish you were from Limerick Fagan?

1 Like

Ah here, Dowling has played in goals all the way up at underage, heā€™s the obvious choice.

David Dempsey was a better keeper, even played Harty in goal. I would try him next after Hannon.

Any place for Cathal King?

Waterford donā€™t do corner forwards. Weā€™ll have two free corner backs and now a sweeper shoved in on top of them. Our backs will be so crowded theyā€™ll be tripping over themselves, leaving the Waterford corner backs free to waltz through and score goals.

Goals?

Goals is already gone. Perhaps King could play corner-back.

Come to think of it, as Waterford dont score goals and dont even field a full-forward line, it might be an idea to dispense with a keeper altogether and play Hannon as a fly-keeper. He would be running out on to lateral passes on our 45 and having a free shot for a point. R Lynch could also fill this role. They both have a huge delivery so could take the puckouts and jog out to the 21 and wait for our next attack to build from the back

1 Like