Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Iā€™ll bet thatā€™s all you can recall.

:beers::beers::beers::beers:

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Go away and drink it off pal. 2017 is the year.

Oops, did I hit a nerve with you and your drinking??

Sorry lad :wink:

Cheers, you should ā€˜drink it offā€™ also

:joy::joy::clap::clap:

Do Limerick have any ball winning forwards coming through? All of the young lads seem fairly light

Nash and Morrissey. Both young at this level but will be serious handfuls in the air at under 21 and going forward at senior.

very dissappointing match tday. what a windy limerick outfit. against 14 men for an hour & couldnt bate them. maybe if tipp went down to 12 men limerick wudnt have been outnumbered :smiley:

in fairness its a bit like ireland - belgium. when you play the lower divisions class will always tell

Teege is so fucking stupid that he will stay on regardless, too thick to see when the players have no faith and he isnā€™t wanted by supporters. This year is still salvageable but the CB & JP must act now.

Enough is enough. And let Teege go back to managing in the intermediate club scene, which is in itself, also above his current level.

2 Likes

Agree rating. He wonā€™t quit though. We will have another strike.

I was surprised to see Lynch get the Limerick nomination for MOTM.
I thought Mulcahy was far more effective on the ball. I see the indo gives Hickey & Morrisey 7 but English 6, again I would have thought English was the better performer of the 3.

The defending for the 3 Tipp goals and Breenā€™s point was absolutely scandalous. It u10 stuff, lads running towards ball that was already being contested while their men ran free.

Conditions yesterday called for Wayne Mac at CB (Gavin is far too light to hold the centre) and Richie at FB horses for courses and all that craic.It was embarrassing yesterday how clueless we were I was some bit happy we didnā€™t fluke a win and avoided disgrace in the final, for what itā€™s worth I fancy Waterford to show how far they have come on in a year by beating an average Tipp side who will be without their best long range scorer in Bubbles.

1 Like

Christ that was depressing. The two point margin at the finish was a joke and we deserved to be beaten by ten+.
Playing Tipp for more or less the whole game with 14 men and still contriving to be absolutely destroyed.
Teege hasnā€™t a fucking clue and there are a good 3 lads on that team whoā€™ve been given chance after chance and should never be seen again.

Quaid: Sloppy for the first two goals, first one wasnā€™t primarily him, but he could have rescued the situation. Poor for the second one, too slow altogether. Puckouts were fine, we won fuck all of the long ones but the blame for that is elsewhere. A couple of the short ones werenā€™t great but youā€™ll have those, especially considering the amount of puckouts he had to hit. 5
English. Canā€™t really remember him doing much which is a good sign from a corner back I suppose. Should be given his shot at fullback to fuck. 6
Morrissey. In his defence he won a lot of ball off Callanan and tried his best. That said he was roasted a few times by Callanan who was playing well within himself. At fault for the first goal at least. Completely unfair to throw a lad in for more or less his competitive debut against Callanan in a Munster Championship match. Theyā€™d a full year to replace McCarthy and they only thought about it since the end of the league. A fucking shambles. Gavin should have been sitting in front of him before the third goal, basic stuff from the sideline again. Once he went back there he cut off all the space and Callanan went out of it completely. 3
Hickey. I hope the lads on here saying he was better in the corner (though he was probably more half for a lot of it after the sending off) will have seen the light now. The lad is a bomb scare. Constantly losing possession, trying to out catch his man and falling over. The sideline was a new chapter in a long book of stupid things Hickey has done. Had a hand in a lot if their goals. Has had his chances, his positives do not outweigh his negatives, not even close. 1
Condon. Did okay, far from their worst performer. 6
Gavin. Did very well in the second half, albiet as a free man. Mopped up a lot of the dangerous ball into their FF line. Showed up well in the first too, our best performer on the day. Distribution was dodgy at times though. 8
Byrnes. Very quiet, two bad wides in a row at an important stage. Never got himself into it. 4
Ryan. Fought hard and scored a point, but never dominated in midfield. 5
Browne. A poor game from Browne when we badly needed him. Never involved 4
Hegarty. Did ok for a lad that is obviously completely uncomfortable at half forward. Unfair on the lad to persist with the experiment, though you can see the logic of putting a lad who can catch it into our completely ineffective forward line. 5
Dowling. Superb from frees, but very poor from play. The one time he was in front of his man he did a stupid slide trying to catch it, like youā€™d see a footballer attempt. 6
Lynch. Got on a load of ball, but his unpredictability seems to mean even his own team mates canā€™t link up with him. Over carries as a first choice. Needs coaching badly. 7
Nash. Never got into it, should have been brought out half to try and win a few balls. 4
Hannon. Hannonomyous as usual. How many more chances will he get? Scored a couple of points when others did the work. 1
Mulcahy. The only forward with a bit of grit about him, won a lot of ball and setup a few chances. Too light for the way intercounty is played these days, but at least he tried. Striking is poor. 6

Morrissey. Didnā€™t make a huge impact, took his goal well in fairness, should probably start the next day, if for no other reason than he canā€™t be worse. 6
Downes. Again did well for the goal but he was on for 15 minutes and didnā€™t improve our ball winning much. Again Iā€™d start him the next day. 6
Fitzgibbon. He has great energy and is a good man to take a score, but heā€™s very small. I canā€™t seem him as a solution to our ball winning problems. Fuck it Iā€™d start him as well the next day. Nothing to lose. 6

Our complete inability to win any ball into our forwards is incredible. Iā€™ve no idea what the issue is but all of our attention has be focused on fixing it. The fact that it has gone unaddressed this long is all you need to know about Teege. There was a lot of comment that the ball up to them was poor, which is certainly an element, but at some point you have to look at the forwards themselves. They cannot win a 50/50 ball never mind a 40/60 one.

Iā€™d start a team of

Quaid
Oā€™Brien English Condon
Hegarty Gavin Byrnes
Ryan Browne
Downes Nash Lynch
Dowling Morrissey Fitzgibbon

Donā€™t like Condon back in the corner, but options are limited based on who has had time there.
I think Hegarty is worth a go at half back to see how he goes, Ronan Lynch potentially an option there too. Maybe Oā€™Donovan in midfield or half forward line as well.

Year is a write off anyway, may as well try a few things out.

A final comment on the lack of progress lads are making from when they break into our county team, Dowling, Hannon, Downes could all be said to have regressed since they broke in.
Take Hickey as an example, when he first broke on to the scene in 2007 you could see he was a lad with real potential but he needed coaching on a few elements like his tendency to do slightly rash things and the fact that he was prone to over carrying. Instead of addressing these issues his bad habits have got worse.

Teege out.

6 Likes

Close enough to what Iā€™d throw out the next day as well, though I would retain Mulcahy in place of Dowling for pace and movements sake alone. Actually if Alan Dempsey canā€™t finally get a run out for the seniors against Westmeath he may as well forget it.

He has! Alan Dempsey was dropped off the panel early on in the year. He isnā€™t even on the Intermediate panel. People on here will know that Iā€™m not a fan of Brown. Grand lad but he just canā€™t contest a high ball at all at all. Dempsey and plenty others are better options, but this of course can not be seen.

Dowlings long range frees are worth a couple of points a game so Iā€™d retain him for that, but I wouldnā€™t argue if we started 6 completely different forwards the next day. Need a serious cull.

U21 hurlers play Cork in Pairc Ui Rinn Tuesday next week and the minors play away to Waterford the following night. Senior footballers play Antrim in Belfast on Saturday. Could be a hard 10 days for us.

Hurling qualifier v Westmeath will on the 2nd or 3rd July.

Inter hurling final is Wed 6th July v Clare.

Didnā€™t he put at least two puck outs in the first half out over the sideline

1 Like

Dodgy will be worn out from the travelling

Read the rest of it.

Anyway over the sideline was the safest place for it the way our lads are going

3 Likes