Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

He will.
His GAA itinerary for 11 days will be;
Belfast - Cork - Waterford - Mullingar - Ennis

Looking at the Limerick fc fixtures, he can double up Cabinteely in Dublin on Friday night before hitting for Belfast on Saturday and a trip to Waterford on Fri 8th will round out a hectic 14 days as a road warrior

1 Like

Dempsey was named in the subs yesterday. Browne was our best player through the league but was poor on the day.

Couple of points of note.

Gavin was providing no cover at all to the full back position. This should have been his number one priority. Was he told this I wonder?

Three minutes injury time was very little considering the amount of times the Tipp physio was on the pitch. Then to cap things off Tipp put on two subs in injury time. No problem with that but the ref needs to be instructed to add another 30 seconds per sub like in soccer, but Iā€™m not sure he can do this within the present rules.

John Fitzgibbon takes his point when LK are 6 points down with 30 seconds to go. It was like ā€œIā€™m getting my name on the score sheet ladsā€ and feck ye. This is the mentality he has always has, and it needs to be knocked out of him.

For a game that was crying out for a LK goal they took too long to bring on Kevin Downes. Then when he did get on, he got no ball.

4 Likes

The length of time for hawk eye yesterday was farcical as well. Easily two minutes to be added on there alone, but talking about that is only glossing over the fact that we were utterly inept against 14 men

Players
Morrissey failed to control the ball for the first goal and badly lost his position on Callanan for the 2nd goal. Callanan scored the 3rd goal from a clear shot, and Morrissey was meant to mark him tightly as the opposition danger man.

• he had a bad day

Management
The whactics did not work. There was no aim in how ball was delivered to the forwards and I can recall just two attempts to pass the ball in the midfield area to create a point-scoring chance. Cian Lynchā€™s runs were one-man efforts.

• It is clear that they were told to hit in long and see what happened. However the 14 inside never wins a long or high ball so WTF?
    Hegarty did not work out at half forward. They picked a big man to blot out Paudie Maher and proceeded to have every ball hit down the other side. They might as well have had a scoring forward in the position running to take secondary possession.

Tipp have their own problems. The forwards scored just 1-5 from play and wasted a large amount of possession. Management made no change on a 14 man team until the 60th minute and made a bizarre double substitution at midfield at the start of injury time. The supporters are nervous about Ronan Maher holding the middle, he does not have the athleticism.

1 Like

For the part of the first half where we had the spare man Gavin played a sweeper role almost in front of the half backs. I can only assume this was the strategy.

Once the second half started he went right back into the full back line and did make a big difference there tightening things up and cutting out a lot of ball.

With ten minutes to go though and we six points down he should have been cut lose to go forward, maybe even into the forwards, but management were concerned with face saving at that stage rather than trying to win.

Iā€™m a bit wary of the accuracy of hawkeye - again the umpires were rubbish, soon theyā€™ll be made redundant. The amount of times they go for hawkeye now shows that these clowns hadnā€™t a clue for years

The second hawkeye too a full 60 seconds to deliver a result. And everyone at the game thought the ball was over the bar in the first place except for the umpire.

Itā€™s an easy out, if a fella is shouting in their face. A good thing overall, but it needs to be way, way quicker.

They only go to hawkeye because its there. Even if you were an umpire 100% certain of a questionable one, youā€™d defer to Hawkeye.

1 Like

Has a throw in time been confirmed for next Saturday in Belfast for the football qualifier?

And is the intermediate final definitely on in Ennis?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll make Walsh Park for the minor semi final, sadly. Will be at the u21 the night before though.

So sickened by that display yesterday Iā€™m pondering not going to Mullingar. Have a 30th on that Saturday night so depending on date and throw in time that could be it for me and the hurlers for the year :eek:

Agreed, but it was fucking madness to have him in there in the first place.

Would have thought it would be a Limerick venue as when they last met in a final in 2011 it was in Ennis

1 Like

The sooner we get put out of our misery the better for the seniors, the minors and 21s would be the priority now, would be great to get a few games into the minors and get to croke park cos we need another influx tigether with the 2013/14 minors to get near to where we want to beā€¦probably wonā€™t reach an ai quarter final this year eitherā€¦on days like this youā€™d wish there was no back door, whatā€™s the point the players just want to get out and start over with a new boss, whoever comes in though say good bye to Hickey, McCarty, condon, mcnamara, Oā€™Brien, j ryan, hannon, mulcahy for a start, have been regressing since 2014, things have moved on and they canā€™t produce it anymore

A 30th? WTF?

Yeah, I can understand that but I think umpires for years hadnā€™t a clue on a good few occasions.

Ah yea, that goes without saying too. Still, its not exactly the easiest job on occasions and you get some awful god help usā€™s doing it.

Fear not, Limerickā€™s day will come!

#2017ISLIMERICKSYEAR

1 Like

I think only once in the first half did we manage to engineer a situation with Hannon isolated in space, Lynch popping a ball out to the wing and James Barry nowhere to be seen. Hannon initially fumbled before popping the ball over the bar.

Mulcahy & Lynch actually did well but carrying lumberers like Dowling and Hegarty in the forwards was never going to stretch Tippā€™s defensive shape.