Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

We are infested with people on the side lines who over think the game. Today we had 2/3 players changed before throw in and then with a strong breeze at our backs we play a fuckin sweeper. ‘Sure all the top managers are doin it we better do it as well or they will think we don’t know what we are at’.,
Cunts the lot of them. Play a sweeper against the wind if you want but fuck me today just reinforced my opinion that Limerick need rid of Daly . We weren’t going to beat Tipp today but it would have been nice to have a go.

3 Likes

There are only two teams that play to win in hurling these days. The rest of us play not to loose. We seem to think the championship is run off on a league basis these days

Hurling is a simple game. In a way it’s a small bit reassuring that Kilkenny and Tipp are still the two best teams and they play conventionally with none of these hurling guru tactics of spare men, sweepers, one man forward lines etc.

Look at Tipp today in the senior. Gleeson bate it down the field as far as he could and they made hay. Like Kilkenny do.

Honestly hurling is under siege from these people who try to overthink it. It’s not chess, it’s played on grass. The game is in danger from these fuckwits with their anti hurling containment, negative philosophies.

3 Likes

I agree with you

I think it’s in more danger from people who think any sort of thought at all is heresy.

2 Likes

Tipp line up more conventionally than most teams, but you think they don’t do tactics? Stop being silly.

On daly, he wrote recently in the examiner that he didn’t think a sweeper suited limerick, and that we are better when we play a more traditional game. That gave me a lot of encouragement that he would try to set up to suit the players, rather than just going immediately to a sweeper system.

How can you complain about paying 30 quid for a munster final? You’d probably pay that for half an hour bowling next door in supermacs.

7 Likes

Ye need a 5 year plan

1 Like

Ah I’m just cranky today Ambrose, take no notice.

1 Like

The minors was disappointing; I never really expected to win, but such a beating is always hard to take. The red card played a big part obviously, but we were going to lose by about 10 anyway, you’d imagine. Tipp were much better set up than us, moved the ball very well into the forwards, completely bypassing the forwards and the hooking and blocking of their backs was way better than ours.

Poor Conor Nicholas, who by all accounts is the most talented U-17 in the county, barely got a touch as the sweeper. It was as if he had never played the role before, he just wasn’t involved at all… didn’t protect the full-back, didn’t win breaking ball, didn’t win get on the ball to make clearances.

Kyle Hayes was the best of the Limerick team, scored 0-2 from play and his direct running had them in trouble. Brian Ryan and Darragh Carroll hit about 8 wides between them, Ryan was taken off early which I was surprised at at the same time. They didn’t have much on the bench to change it up either, and they aren’t as good a team as the last few years but still… they have a few handy players there.

In fairness when you look at the Clare and Dublin teams Daly was over neither were blessed with much depth in the forward division and hence the use of the sweeper. But he did coax big performances from the forwards he had and utilised them well for the most part.

I wouldnt necessary think that a sweeper would be his default set up in Limerick as there are some potentially decent forwards and a bit of depth there. But who knows. Whether he picks 5 or 6 forwards he certainly wouldnt be willing to carry passengers up there.

Exactly. And he has said he doesn’t think the sweeper suits limerick. I think he’d be a very good appointment.

I thought Conor Boylan was Limericks best but he wasn’t helped playing in a 2 man full forward line .

I know some lads have mentioned him and Kinnerk but I would be surprised if that came about. Alan Cunningham and him are close and Cunningham trained Clare under Daly and given his relationship with the nap lads it would seem a no brainer that Daly would have him in as coach.

1 Like

Boylan was decent enough, but his final ball let him down a lot. Hit a couple of bad wides and had a few dodgy passes… he’s some man to run with the ball though, he was making inroads.

Whatever about the merits of the sweeper system in general; when it’s so clearly not working and your sweeper has not touched the ball in open play, surely you have to realise it’s time to change it up?

First sign of madness and all that…
Spike has tweeted Liam Aherne to say he was not correct. Abiut meeting tonight I presume. I think i will wait for the fat lady from now on!

Leo didnt spot it either thursday night when we had spare man. The game bypassed him. Thats the good coaching from Donal Maloney. Seen his name mentiined in some circles. But as we know Senior Hurling is almost a different sport.

Senior hurling is a different kettle of fish altogether obviously, but I’m consistently impressed with how his teams are set up and I would love to see him get the job. I have no idea whether he’d want it, but Davy could be in Clare for another while yet.

As per usual most of the posters are on here are clueless. It’s irrelevant wether Limerick play a sweeper or not. We need
Learn to play against teams like Waterford and Clare that use a sweeper first and foremost.

The problem is that Limerick believed that the best way to play against a sweeper was to use a sweeper

1 Like