Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Exactly. No need for it against Waterford or Clare. Fruitless against cork, Galway and the dubs and youā€™d be better of doubling
Marking kk and tipps marquee forwards than using a sweeper.

Iā€™d love to know if TJ and Co actually consulted with the players before they came up with a so called game plan or if they just presented it to them and expected them to get on with it

Daly is leaving his underage role. To be replaced by Jerry Wallace.

5 Likes

The first bit of good news all week.

Edit: Wait, your post did not say ā€œleaving the countyā€. :frowning:

Good luck TFK Limerick has finished me here.

Ye have lost everything

And all in the one week

Thank fuck, donā€™t come back.

2 Likes

No Iā€™ve decided to stay seeing as itā€™ll piss you off.

1 Like

Is there any point even talking about Saturday? Fucking woeful.

Quaid; I think we won one of his long puck outs. We had a spare man in the fullback line and we should have used him more to play out of defense, but saying that we didnā€™t do much better when we used them either. 5
Condon, Richie & Richie; All did fine but they had a spare man the whole time and Clare had no interest in trying to exploit them. Richie Mac got on a fair bit of ball. If he has a future with the Limerick team (which I donā€™t see) it has to be further out the field as heā€™s too slow for fullback these days. Remember when he played centre forward :grinning: He couldnā€™t be worse than what we are trying there at the minute. Has always been a big man, but was actually overweight this year. Needs to lose a stone at least, if he wants to play county next year. Iā€™m a big fan of Condons but his time is running out too. Richie English is the future at fullback and I think heā€™ll be a safe pair of hands there. 7ā€™s for all three
Paudie Oā€™Brien; It was deemed he wasnā€™t good enough for intercounty a few years back, I donā€™t know how he made his way back onto the panel, slow as a funeral. At one stage a Clare forward was running through and Oā€™Brien had to run about ten yards to cover the angle, the Clare forward covered about twenty yards in the same time frame and still got past him without Oā€™Brien laying a hand on him, rightly hooked early, but should never have started. 3
Gav; Not a centre back, he has loads of hurling and did ok at times, but doesnā€™t have enough influence on games at times, especially when he is one of our senior players. Should be back again next year, heā€™s young enough anyway, but we need to find his position and leave him there. Prob half back 5
Byrnes, thank Christ for him. Came of age yesterday. Stood up and was counted. A building block for the next few years. Wouldnā€™t necessarily rush him into centre back, he adds a lot going forward so might be better left on the wing. 9
Browne, another poor outing for him after an uncharacteristically poor championship. 5
Oā€™Donovan; Hooked early enough never got to grips with the Clare midfield who destroyed us. 4
Declan Hannon; Hannonomous yet again. At least he was hooked at half time this time. I donā€™t know what we can do with him, incredibly frustrating player. 1
Ryan; Destroyed at half forward, much better when he went out midfield, and was one of the reasons we came back into it. 7
Lynch; Got on Iā€™d say two balls in the whole match. A poor season from him. We need to try and get him involved as he can be a game breaker. 2
Downes; Broke a lot of ball around him early on when Limerick were in the ascendancy, wasnā€™t seen after that. He has had a lot of chances at this stage, but our forwards as a unit have been completely misfiring for the last two years so there obviously is a bigger problem (with tactics or lack there of). 3
Dowling; Brilliant from frees, anonymous from play. Overweight and uninterested. 5
Mulcahy. Again the smallest forward on the team was the man who got on the most ball, worked his bollox off which is more than can be said for any of his forward colleagues. Runs into dead ends too often, and is too light for intercounty. 7
Morrissey came on at ht and took up where Hannon left off, no impact at all. 3
Hegarty; Made a huge difference when he came on, even managing to actually win a puckout. Not a forward but he might be forced into one as heā€™s a good man to win a ball. Hurling is limited enough, but that can be improved. Would love to see him given a proper run at hb. 8
Hickey. I was so glad to see Oā€™Brien go I didnā€™t even mind that it was Hickey who came on. Managed not to do anything stupid, which if he could do the same for 70 minutes he might have a future. 7
Nash. Should have been brought on sooner, should have started actually. Didnā€™t have much time to make an impact. 5
Dempsey. Showed some signs that he should have been given more of a chance this year. 6

Overall it was desperate stuff. Destroyed in our half forward and ff lines and at midfield until Jim Bob went out there. Learned absolutely nothing from our league defeat to Clare or from any game this year for that matter.

We cannot win a puckout, the fact that this is glaringly obvious and nothing has been done to address it under Teegeā€™s reign, apart from trying backs in the forwards tells you all you need to know about him. 3 years wasted.

Clare are poor too, never looked to expose our creaking fb line. When we forced them long with their puckouts we won nearly all of them, but it was too late at that stage.

6 Likes

re Hickey, he did plenty stupid and dirty, should have got the road.

4 Likes

Look, the main thing is Teege is gone.

Thereā€™s possibly a few to be dropped off the panel but there arenā€™t many in the over 30 age bracket, most of the guys aged 27-30 still have something to offer and should get a fair shot for next year. The only ones youā€™d say are most likely to be cut are Paudie and Wayne. Even Richie for example should get a shot to get fit and if he doesnā€™t then good luck and thanks. If the fitness or workrate issues some of them have donā€™t improve then no one will have any complaints if theyā€™re dropped.

I do think you have to take into account the apparent complete lack of gameplan/system/patterns of play. Our forwards have been brutal and look brutal but you really have to question what type of coaching theyā€™re getting. Thereā€™s no kind of interplay at all and the ball up to them is just being fonged as high and long and straight as possible.

Itā€™s not an entirely bad place to be to have a few starters in their late 20s under pressure for their places and a whole host of players aged 21ish coming through pushing them.

Youā€™re living in dream landā€¦ They are mentally done.

1 Like

Teege never got in a sports psychologist. It was his downfall.

He didnā€™t need one he had Dave Clarke

Heā€™s not gone yet bud.

itā€™s between daly and sheedy assuming kiely turns them down, again.

Paul o Connell is also available

Ciaran, Foley and Beefy.