Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Dublin yo-yo’ed up and down remarkably under daly, they’d have a good season followed by a dire one a few times. But by and large I think he did very well with them. He had a handful of good players and a couple of ok ones and struggled after that. Far fewer natural hurlers than other top 8 counties available. They were well drilled and well organised and I think the weaker players improved under him.

1 Like

No, thanks to daly putting out a better Dublin team than the great Donal O’Grady could put together for limerick with a superior group of players available.

1 Like

I can confirm I have been approached via PM and will be throwing my hat into the ring.

On my “ticket” will be the following…

Strength and conditioning coach - @caoimhaoin
Trainer - still to be finalised.
Selectors - Richie Bennis, Ollie Moran and Steve McDonogh.
Stats man - @ChocolateMice

My terms are the following.

• basic mileage of 30cent a mile or whatever it is.
  • an old school Nokia 3310 phone with €20 credit per week. It’ll be old school hurling so may aswell be old school technology.
  • no county board cunts allowed on the bus on match day or allowed on the sideline on match day.

Squad will be picked on November 1st, Byrnes will be made captain. GPA membership and Twitter/social media accounts will be banned. Media ban in operation, only exception being to accept MOTM awards where the players will only be allowed mumble generic cliches like “I’m only accepting this on behalf of the other lads on the team.”

My main rivals for the job appear to be the so called dream team of @Julio_Geordio and @TreatyStones but I’m confident my political machine can swing the vote in my favour.

8 Likes

I’m reading between the lines here and you’ve really included me to quieten a few lads on the line. Davy and Dan Shan are firmly in my sights.

Correct

He can’t fully rebuild a team and exclude all of the more senior players - a host of them will have to be kept on- What we need is these lads leading the way showing the 21s what is what, not the other way around… Is Daly the man for that?? While I don’t think he is the man for Limerick he is the type of guy that players will play for… He’d bring us up to near 2013/14 levels but that’s about it.

Will the media ban apply to your selectors as well.?

Richie will be the point of contact for all media queries.

1 Like

Flicking through that Cork development plan and when I got to the section about tackling the decline of hurling in the City I balked and thought about the numbers they have in comparison to us… this is their plan of action being proposed… what’s our current strategy in the city? - @ciarancareyshurlingarmy , @Elvis_Brandenberg_Kr et al ?

I know out in NaP on a Saturday morning you’d nearly have 200 kids … while Claughan/St. Pats/ Christians/ Ballinacurra wouldn’t get half of that between them.

You better ask the boys running the development squads. That is where the money spent

Are they posting here?

I doubt it. Could be reading. I expect you know a couple of them

1 Like

Yes, it will.

The only exceptions to this will be in the immediate aftermath of big championship wins where Richie will be allowed to inadvertently taunt the opposition after we nullify their main marksman and bang in a few goals ourselves.

3 Likes

This conversation about the manager getting a team over the line… is in my opinion grossly overestimating the influence of a manager (and his sidekicks) when the team is on the field. It all points to the pervasive ‘Facebook Like’ mentality a lot of young lads these days. Nobody is responsible for anything anymore. But the manager is, by Christ.

It’s up to the players to want it. To die for it, kill for it etc. They have to put everything aside and have a single focus on their goals.

No manager can make his recently-disposessed-of-his-hurley corner back dive in with his head or hands in front of a hurley to stop a shot or make his full forward win a dirty ball and turn and bury it.

Ah yeah you can train and plan and all that namby pamby stuff. Great. Get the lads fit. Get them ready. Improve their skills. Get a slick operation in place…

But whose job is it to face down Paul Murphy or Richie Hogan in Croke Park in september? It ain’t the manager.

1 Like

You’re right that the players have to take some of the blame - but you’ve over simplified it. The players can’t organise fitness, coaching drills, a game plan, in-game management and play the game too. They did most of that in 2014 but it can only be maintained so long - For players to succeed you have to give them the environment to do so -

3 Likes

are you tom ryan

You wouldn’t get the like of it on the mainland.

In truth you are absolutely correct. The manager is responsible for selecting a team with the mentality to give it a full lash, and not bottle or fill the togs irrespective of the outcome, and to try and make sure they have at least the tools, (such as fitness) to compete, and that they are rested and raring to go on big game days and that’s about it
Apart from picking players in familiar roles.

The have to grow a pair of balls and man up so do clare

Ye’re forgetting the most important part of the whole lot. You have to get full buy in from the 30 on the panel. If you don’t get that, it doesn’t matter how fit they are, how good they are prevent how bad they are. If they don’t buy what you’re selling them, you’re fucked.
It was blatantly obvious with Limerick this year, that there was either of plan or no one bought into it. Or even worse again, there was a different game plan for every match. Now there is no problem with tweaking it but you have to play essential,you to your strengths every game. We did not do that this year.
Regardless of what happened with Donal O’Grade in 2014, both himself and John Allen obviously left something with the players. This was ultimately flogged out of them during the TJ years.
The results of the last two years speak for themselves.
If TJ and Clarke had a plan that they believed in then they should have had the balls to go for it and drop the fuckersame who rebelled. They would have still got hammered but at least would have had buy in.
That’s the difference. Look at Cody. Ruthless. Doesn’t matter how good you are. If you don’t buy in. Fuck off

I think Daly would.do.a.decent job in Limerick. He is still very well thought of in Dublin by almost all of the hurling community here.

Strengths
Creates a united, motivated panel pulling in the same direction.
Charismatic. Players want to play for him.

Weaknesses
Is slow to bring in younger players. Very hard to get off his panel.
Tendency to favour big athletic forwards over smaller skilful ones.

A very decent man who puts his heart and soul into any team he manages