Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

It’s done and dusted I believe. From my understanding Croagh were out voted by the other 2 teams and they drew lots to see who finished, 1,2,3.
Croagh got 3rd.

Fuck that’s harsh :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Who got first?

Wouldn’t like to be meeting Croagh now in a quarter they’ll be spitting fire

There was no appetite for play offs from anyone really. It was agreed to draw for placings, Templeglantine came out first and go straight to the Semi, Feenagh were drawn as second and Croagh third. There’s no difference between second and third anyway, whoever came out first was the only one benefitting. Croagh must really fuckin hate Adare.

Other group decided tonight.

Askeaton vs Killeedy
Tour vs Rathkeale

Askeaton the only team guaranteed to go through.

Could end up with top three teams on six with placings decided by score difference (if Killeedy & Tour win)
Could end up with 2-4 being teams on four points and decided by score difference (if Askeaton & Rathkeale win)
Or if Killeedy win & Rathkeale win Tour are out!
Box Office!!!

Rathkeale would need to improve a ton to beat Tour going on how they played against us Friday night. We are down 3 starters again tonight. Killeedy will fancy their chances. They have to win to be 100% sure.

No easy draw in the West and fixtures are going to start piling up, so straight into the semi will be a big advantage this year, especially with the new back door to the county. You’d have two swipes at making it out of the West.

Yeah if Askeaton could join Templeglantine in the Semis it’d be a right kick in the hole for the so-called and self professed ‘big’ teams like Killeedy, Tour, Feenagh/Kilmeedy and of course Monagea who are out. Kierans who came down from Intermediate didn’t get a look in either. I’d fancy Croagh Kilfinny to beat Killeedy if they happen to meet them and wouldn’t rule them out beating Tour either. A Semi spot for a side like Templeglantine is some boost, they’re as good as anyone on their day and can pull off huge wins but awfully inconsistent so could just as easily be beaten in a Quarter handily

Two of the big three won a county senior in last 60 years . Tour contested a final in 1979 .

Football Championship Update

Ballysteen V NCW goes ahead sunday night.

Games involving other hurlers,
Senans V NAP
Oola v Kierans
Pats V Caseys

have been moved to 08/08

What will happen the round 4 games scheduled for the weekend of the 29th involving the same teams has not been decided yet.

Sure Killeedy won the County Senior in 1980. Traditionally they were strong clubs but that’s half the problem now too, there’s a fair bit of delusion amongst some of the older club members, officials and mentors in those clubs

1 Like

Yes . That is fair comment . That said they should be doing a lot lot better . I assume rural depopulation a huge issue . They were a real tough team for years but once the decline started it was unstoppable .

The game is on its knees in the West.

The odd gem like Dodge or Flanagan coming through masks the sorry state of most clubs.

1 Like

West Limerick hurling is all but dead . A good number of reasons but the Co Board don’t give a fiddler’s fuck .

1 Like

Cody pulled Fennelly off.

Tournafulla, Killeedy, Feohanagh and Feenagh/Kilmeedy were always the strong clubs in the West. Apparently Templeglantine were strong in the 20s and 30s before the club actually ceased due to immigration, I think they were Senior back then for a brief spell. Were always a Junior B team only until this decade I think. NCW have flitted up and down the ranks but don’t think they were ever Senior in the modern era. Knockaderry always traditionally a Junior club, as were Granagh, Ballingarry, Dromcollogher and Broadford before their amalgamations and recent promotions. Monagea traditionally Junior but St. Kierans were previously a strong Hurling side too one time, didn’t they play Senior for a spell too?

Are you calling for a couple of divisional west teams to go senior?

Bring back Western Gaels !

The black hole that is NCW is the greatest black mark back west. It is ideally situated to make a senior hurling team. Secondary school and a large population

3 Likes

I am calling for a root and branch review of hurling in West Lk . The game is really struggling .

Divisional teams aren’t the answer all they do is slow down or play havoc with club teams .

3 Likes

Who was the last NCW man to play senior championship for Lk ??

Was there a Danagher back in the early 90’s that would have been there or there abouts? Back then they were half decent but fell off a cliff there after.

If there was a serious intent to put a coach into the school back there it would be a huge benefit

Edit Probably late 80’s

They’ve a lad on the minor team this year which is at least some progress. Can’t remember them ever having a senior hurler in my life time.

When small neighbouring clubs like Knockaderry & F/C can produce a senior hurler it puts them to shame.

1 Like