Limerick Hurling Championship Preview Thread

Following on from @TreatyStones excellent football previews last weekend, I’ve decided to do the same for hurling and include all 15 championship games being played.

SHC GROUP 1
Adare v Doon - Saturday 7pm in Kilmallock. Referee: Johnny Murphy

Shane Fitzgibbon leads last year’s finalists into his first championship game as manager in the pick of the Group 1 fixtures. A repeat of last year’s semi-final, which Adare snatched late-on, this has the makings of a good one. The return of Declan Hannon will be a boost but Doon’s youngsters are a year older and hungrier. They might nick it.
[B]Verdict - Doon

Murroe/Boher v Knockainey - Saturday 7pm in Bruff. Referee: Jason O’Mahony
[/B]
Knockainey look to have drawn the short straw in what is by far the stronger of the two groups. Maurice Nelligan of Kilmallock is over them this year and he’ll have them fired up for sure. M/B, with Seamus Hickey back from his cruciate injury, should have too much but Knockainey are dogged and will be targeting this one if they’re to avoid relegation.
[B]Verdict - Murroe/Boher

Ahane v Patrickswell - Sunday 2pm in Bruff. Referee: Donal Enright
[/B]
There was a time that this would have been expected to be a county final. Not these days. Ahane exited last year’s championship on a hiding and The Well have been rebuilding for a few years since their last win in 2003. Cian Lynch is a potential match-winner but is unavailable for the opening two rounds as he’s facing the Leaving Cert. This will level the playing field somewhat but I fancy Patrickswell to come through, just.
Verdict - Patrickswell

SHC GROUP 2
South Liberties v Effin - Friday 7pm in Caherconlish. Referee: Declan O’Driscoll

Group 2 is the more open and there’s certainly one quarter-final spot up for grabs. Equally, both teams could be sucked into relegation such are the fine margins of the new system. There’s little between these two and Effin had a very impressive win over Doon in the league recently. Liberties have been operating at this level for that bit longer and their experience gets them the nod. The Hack always is fired up for the first round!
[B]Verdict - South Liberties

Granagh/Ballingarry v Ballybrown - Saturday 7pm in Rathkeale. Referee: Richard Moloney
[/B]
Like the above fixture, both could be involved at either end of the competition. Eamonn Kelly has departed Ballybrown for the Kerry seniors but Stevie O’Reilly returns from a long-term injury to bolster the defence. G/B have been motoring quietly of late and are capable of winning this. They won’t lack for effort but may just fall short.
[B]Verdict - Ballybrown

Na Piarsaigh v Kilmallock - Sunday 7pm in Bruff. Referee: Jason Mullins
[/B]
Clash of the Titans with both under new management. Both will easily qualify out of the group but neither will want to lose here. David Breen will be a big loss to Na P and I feel Kilmallock may have that bit more to prove. Wouldn’t rule out a draw.
[B]Verdict - Kilmallock

PREMIER IHC

Blackrock v Knockaderry - Saturday 5.15pm in Kilmallock. Referee: Trevor Mann
[/B]
Knockaderry surprised many by reaching the final last year and have the benefit of a game played, which they lost narrowly to Croom. Blackrock would been seen as a coming team and if they’re serious about it should win here.
[B]Verdict - Blackrock

Bruree v Dromin/Athlacca - Saturday 5.15pm in Bruff. Referee: Aidan Ryan
[/B]
Big win for D/A in Round 1 was matched by a 6-pont loss for Bruree against Bruff. Neighbouring parishes will bring out the best in each other and this could be fiery. Athlacca look to have more but Bruree will be up for this one.
[B]Verdict - Dromin/Athlacca

Hospital/Herbertstown v Croom - Sat 7pm in Kilfinane. Referee: Denis Richardson
[/B]
Croom looked impressive in winning a tough game in the opening round. I believe H/H may be struggling and have no game played yet. Hard to see past a comfortable win for Croom but they’ve traditionally found this opposition very difficult.
[B]Verdict - Croom

Bruff v Garryspillane - Sunday 1.30pm in Kilmallock. Referee: Justin Daly[/B]
Bruff accounted for Bruree in Round 1 with the Bouncers well beaten by D/Athlacca. I’d expect a similar outcome here.
[B]Verdict - Bruff

IHC - GROUP 1

Mungret v Glenroe - Friday 7pm in Bruff. Referee: Padraig Power[/B]
Early meeting of the two favourites in this group. Glenroe won the corresponding encounter last year and both will have ambitions of winning this championship outright. Last year’s result to be repeated I think.
[B]Verdict - Glenroe

Newcastlewest v Claughaun - Friday 7pm in Croagh. Referee: Patrick O’Carroll[/B]
NCW have failed to field a team in a league fixture to date and all of their focus has been on their football clash with Abbeyfeale last week. Could be a good time for Claughaun to come in under the radar.
[B]Verdict - Claughaun

Feenagh/Kilmeedy v Caherline - Sunday 1.30pm in Clarina. Referee: Paddy Lyons[/B]
Last year’s Junior champions meet the team that most fancy to be relegated. Old money and experience could be the key here.
[B]Verdict - Caherline

GROUP 2
St. Kieran’s v Monaleen - Saturday 7pm in Askeaton. Referee: Mike Mann[/B]
Kieran’s held their own last year but Monaleen have a nice blend of experience and rising stars with
several county minors involved. It’ll be enough to see them home.
[B]Verdict - Monaleen

Cappamore v Killeedy - Saturday 7.15pm in Mungret. Referee: Liam O’Sullivan[/B]
Hard to call this one. Jack Aherne would be the main man for Killeedy but may not play due to injury. Cappamore will have a good shot if he’s missing.
Verdict - Draw

@Rocko - get this on the front page

Great stuff.

Computer started acting up. I’ll edit the Intermediate fixtures into it in a few minutes.

Please post them in the correct thread, kid.

Finally we have a proper system for the senior hurling championship.

• Team that tops each group goes automatically into the semi final.
  • Teams that come second and third in each group play off in quarter finals.
  • Teams that come fourth and fifth play off for the County Cup.
  • Bottom team in each group relegated.

I’ll be attending NCW v Claughaun on Friday, G/B v Ballybrown on Saturday and Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh on Sunday.

Is there a relegation final or is there two up and two down every year?

No relegation final. Bottom team in each group relegated.

2 up and 2 down every year as far as I know.

I don’t know what the system is for the premier intermediate championship. All teams play each other (7 games each) but unsure as to whether the top two are automatically promoted or if there are play offs (eg 1 v 4 or 2 v 3) in what would basically be promotion finals…

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 939316, member: 1552”]No relegation final. Bottom team in each group relegated.

2 up and 2 down every year as far as I know.

I don’t know what the system is for the premier intermediate championship. All teams play each other (7 games each) but unsure as to whether the top two are automatically promoted or if there are play offs (eg 1 v 4 or 2 v 3) in what would basically be promotion finals…[/QUOTE]

Two semi-finals (1 v4 & 2 v 3) with the two winners promoted. Bottom two relegated so you’ll have four new teams in that championship every year.

Could win all 7 of your group games in the premier intermediate championship and then be sucker punched in a one off promotion decider by the 4th placed team so.

Maybe would have been better to have the team that comes top promoted automatically (some reward for topping the group) and then teams 2 and 3 play-off for the second promotion spot?

Anyway there will be flaws in any system you use. If you are good enough you’ll get promoted.

Much better systems at senior and premier intermediate than have been used in recent years. More games which club players have been crying out for.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 939326, member: 1552”]Could win all 7 of your group games in the premier intermediate championship and then be sucker punched in a one off promotion decider by the 4th placed team so.

Maybe would have been better to have the team that comes top promoted automatically (some reward for topping the group) and then teams 2 and 3 play-off for the second promotion spot?

Anyway there will be flaws in any system you use. If you are good enough you’ll get promoted.

Much better systems at senior and premier intermediate than have been used in recent years. More games which club players have been crying out for.[/QUOTE]

Fair point but, as the winners go into the Munster club championship you’d probably have to have a final to decide it.

Promotion is, of course, the big reward and it could be argued that the provincial competition mightn’t be of huge interest after a long campaign.

In fairness, this looks to be a good idea as teams will find their level. There’s definitely the prospect of teams hopping up and down between the grades which mightn’t be of much benefit to anyone but, if it works, those that go up to senior will have earned it and should be capable of competing at that level.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 939307, member: 1552”]Finally we have a proper system for the senior hurling championship.

I’ll be attending NCW v Claughaun on Friday, G/B v Ballybrown on Saturday and Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

What way do you view the chances of G/B on Sat evening Dodgy? Have ye a full deck to pick from down there this year or will ye be without a few? No reason ye can’t give Ballybrown a good rattle Saturday.

Premier IHC could almost be renamed South IHC.

I reckon there will be a sending off or two at the Kilmallock v Na Piarsaigh. And that we will win of course.

Effin will walk this.

Like every team in the group (bar Kilmallock and Na Piarsaigh) the main aim is to stay up. Anything else is a bonus. On any given day there won’t be much between Ballybrown, G/B, Liberties and Effin.

The game in Mick Neville Park tomorrow night should be tight. Ballybrown impressed in their first season back in the top flight. G/B kind of written off in the local media, 50/1 outsiders to win it out while Ballybrown are a mere 11/1. It’s all the motivation the G/B lads need. Been going well lately, morale boosting win over Kilmallock in the county league (even if county players were not playing) so hopeful of a big display tomorrow. A couple of good young lads introduced over the last year or two.

Are Hospital very big at 9/2 against Croom?

I would think so.

Didn’t they play each other in the championship last year or the year before? It was on in Kilmallock, it was either a draw or Croom scraped home by a point. 9/2 would be way over-priced in fairness, Croom were lucky enough to get over Knockaderry in round one. Bar Conor Allis they had very little up front.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 939307, member: 1552”]Finally we have a proper system for the senior hurling championship.

[/QUOTE]
    The above system works well in Kilkenny and other counties as well I’m sure.

However there has been occasions in KK where a team going well will throw a match against a weak team to stop a more dangerous team going through. It’s the only flaw in the system and knowing Limerick’s luck it will probably happen this year. Can lead to a lot of bitterness.

[QUOTE=“habanerocat, post: 939663, member: 1513”]The above system works well in Kilkenny and other counties as well I’m sure.

However there has been occasions in KK where a team going well will throw a match against a weak team to stop a more dangerous team going through. It’s the only flaw in the system and knowing Limerick’s luck it will probably happen this year. Can lead to a lot of bitterness.[/QUOTE]

It’s never been a problem in the football championship and it has been run on that basis for years.
I can only remember once where we went into the last match meaning the result didn’t affect us.

Excellent previews there. It seems that the top spots in each group may be sorted in the first round of fixtures. Doon young team seemed to lack belief to beat Adare in last years semis but without as much pressure on them should have enough to win.

Na Piarsaigh have been known to start slowly in recent years so Kilmallock to nick this one imo. Ahane versus the Well should also be a great game.