Limerick Liam wagon or Munster bandwagon?

Figures for Rugby attendances are artificially bloated by season ticket holders. There would be 1 or 2 thousand at some fixtures and official attendance would be given as 8k.

Check out attendance at Irish independent park in Cork for 3 Munster fixtures played there last year. Miracously enough the attendance was 8,008 on each occasion. Plenty of empty seats each time.

1 Like

Interwined

You couldnt give tickets away for three quarters of those pro 14 games in Limerickā€¦the notion that itā€™s a rubby city is some laughā€¦ they had a 7s tournament a few years back and no one went to the thingā€¦ Thomond is only full when Cork and Tipp men travel and the few lads from Clare/Kerry also.

1 Like

before it was turned into the shithole it is now youā€™d get Limerick men out there.

I havenā€™t gone since they day I heard a fella saying would it kill them to get a decent pinot grigio at the bar.

i cant seem to get Cork Conā€™s attendance figures?
cc @Tim_Riggins

You still get a few thousand locals but itā€™s all over exaggerated.

would Clontarf get huge crowds at Castle Avenue @Tim_Riggins?
would that be a much bigger ground than say Tallaght Stadium?

As always the Limerick hurling biys revert to their true love

ā€¦knocking other sports

1 Like

Munster are followed predominately by Cork people alright. Its a major bone of contention that their home games are on in thomand in the first place. Constantly crying out for a few crumbs to be thrown their way in terms of having training base in Cork. They aspire to host European quarter finals in Frankā€™s field.

The AIL is not relevant. It would be like me asking you for the Leinster League in soccer.

Here is the detailed listing.

Rugby

Pro14: 43 games: 564k (does not include final played in Dublin)
European Rugby: 15 games: 275k
Internationals: 6 games: 306k

Soccer
League of Ireland divisions one and two: 330 games: 424k
Irish League: 100 games: 171k
Irish teams in Europe: 11 games: 54k
FAI Cup: 40 games (estimated 1800 per game plus 25k for the final): 75k
Irish Cup: as above
EA Sports Cup/NI League Cup: 50 games: ave 1800: 90k
Internationals: 6 games: 182k
No generally reported attendances for the League Cup north or south of the border and sparse info for all FAI Cup/Irish Cup, ave used for LoI/IL of 1800.

Difference is actually 75k with 540 games vs 64 games played. Soccer plays loads of games but canā€™t live with elite rugby in this country.

thatā€™s not domestic rugby Riggins - i presume the PRO14 attendances are for the likes of Munster v The South African Cheetahs and Leinster v Glasgow,ie not domestic

the soccer figures im not disputing
please forward the all ireland league for rugby
The leinster Senior League or MSL in soccer would be equal to the Provincial Towns Cup in Leinster or Munster JL that the likes of Cobh Pirates play in

half of them are not even proper GAA men

Iā€™m really enjoying how this attack on Limerickā€™s GGA heroes has turned into a maths competition between the also rans.

Can you not read? thereā€™s no one doing the knocking here but riggins and the OP

We are talking about the top tier pros.

A detailed analysis of unreported amateur AIL, schools rugby, Towns Cup (rugby) vs soccerā€™s amateur events is not possible and moreover a quite useless KPI. Better ones are the numbers playing and membership. On the former I would absolutely say that soccer beats rugby football but this is about attendances.

You inserted yourself into it as per

i didnt knock anything, palā€¦ i was just curious about rigginā€™s selection process and stating Munster has a much bigger following in Cork than Limerick, which is true. Sure, iā€™ll be below in Con shouting on Shannon in a few weeks.

yeas and if Irish domestic soccer professionals were playing in am International Intercontinental Champions League format like munster and the cheetahs i would not be using that to base attendance figures on
Now please publish the AIL league attendances as its the top level of the domestic game where both home and away fixtures are at least played on the same island Cork Con, CCFC, Rainey Old Boys, etc

Malahide Rogbee club are in the top division I think

Their average crowd is 58

2 Likes