Limerick v Cork, tits done now

I’d want finn on that cunt Horgan. Kilkenny tried the same tactic they did on seamus hickey back in 07 sending in reid on finn to soften him up. 20 minutes later reid was cleaned and sent back out to the half forward line.

3 Likes

Steady on

Cant see the tweet they are replying to

Cork are the type of side that shouldn’t suit this Limerick outfit, they’re quick and mobile and have a nice mix in their forward line of score takers and lads who can win their own ball. However, Limerick did OK against them down the park albeit Cork were out for the third week in a row.

I think the midfield area is key here. I thought Limerick got the better of the middle third slightly in Cork, and this, added to Corks complete failure to close off the extra space inside even with the spare man, meant Flanagan and others could prosper. I don’t see the game going in that pattern again.

This will be a bit cagier early on before opening up in the second half. The 3 Cork players I would be keen to curb the influence of would be Fitzgibbon, Harnedy and Kearney. Nullify those lads or lessen their influence on the game and we’ve a good chance. The way our half forward line operates should help in this regard, filtering back to crowd the middle and I’d expect Darragh Donovan to tail Fitzgibbon. Didn’t Finn pick up Harnedy in the round robin game? For a spell anyway. I could see Harnedy causing us problems if they move him out the pitch a bit

I’d target Coleman big time under puck outs, rotating Hegarty, Morrissey, Hayes, Flanagan and Gillane on to him under puck outs

1 Like

Yer man asked was it possible there would be no extra trains from Cork

1 Like

The main worry I have is the pace in the cork attack and the sheer lack of it in the limerick backs. I’d imagine they’ll pull a corner forward out and turn Dan M as much as possibly early doors. Kilkenny with Their dinosaur tactics were still pumping high ball on our half back line at end. I can’t see cork doing this.

I also think cork will concede the short pick outs to us. Casey, finn and English aren’t the best on the ball and I have a feeling cork will drop off and The minute the ball is played short they’ll press quickly hoping to force mistakes and force limerick to play it long and aimlessly.

Harnedy was very quiet in the drawn game, the attempted shot at the winner at the end summed it up really. It was an incredible block by Finn but 95% of the time, Harnedy gets a shot away, he had a lot of space.

Horgan kept them in it with vital scores and he won frees, not to mention the goal which was a defensive disaster. Need to be way tighter on him this time.

They left their full-back line totally exposed which was inexcusable considering they had the extra man. Coleman had a game to forget, you’d expect him to flourish as the free man but their use of the ball was awful.

Fitzgibbon is one who can have a quiet game but then burst into life. I wouldn’t have said the first game was one of his best but he still hit 4 points from play.

Cork have absolutely lightning forwards, Lehane is still to come alive yet. He’s been a marker man this year but has the potential to do damage. That said, while the likes of Kearney caused us no end of bother in the first half, I thought we did very well to congest their space in the second half. We are not a slow team by any means, but have a nice physical edge. The work rate of our midfield and forwards is key again. If we put pressure on the deliveries, it doesn’t matter how fast the fuckers are.

I think their backs can be got at as a defensive unit, play smart heads-up hurling, mixing quick ball inside with carrying it through the lines and we have serious firepower all over the park. I reckon we can edge it.

1 Like

That’s what I’d do if I was Myler, Kilkenny did this a bit and got a bit of joy out of it, especially down Finn and Byrnes’ wing in second half, TJ Reid in particular stood off Byrnes and allowed the pass to him from Finn before closing in quickly and forcing the error. It’s something Cork surely took note of,Byrnes didn’t look too comfortable with receiving the ball knowing Reid was allowing it with the intention of turning the ball over in a scoring area.

They have excellent forwards in fairness and are the quickest side from 8-15 in the country.

Our strength in 8-15 lies in our physicality and work rate but most importantly our ability to create space for our forwards through movement. We are not slow by any means but don’t have the widespread sheer pace of Cork, but we probably have better or cleverer movement in our forward line to balance this out.

Neither side have a rock solid back 6, there are some great players in both defences but as a unit both can be got at. For example I think Harnedy could cause Byrnes trouble big time. If Lehane clicks I’m not sure we’ve anybody suited to mind him. I’d be less worried about Horgan, he’s a class player who is going to score his few points every day but I don’t foresee him causing us enough problems whereby we’re struggling to find a way to hold him.

I think they could struggle with Casey when he’s introduced. Cahalane is a real target for us and obviously we’d have to try Flanagan again straight in on him but I also think Gillane could cause him all sorts of problems too. If Casey comes on it’ll either be for Graeme or Flanagan, if it’s Flanagan will they leave Cahalane on Casey??

Midfield will be congested as fuck but if we can get Cian Lynch winning dirty ball and delivering it forward intelligently that could be the winnings of it but this will be a very very close game.

Attendance predictions: 68,568

Gillane should be well up for this, it was a stupid, deserved red card but the reaction of O’Donoghue doing a Neymar won’t have been forgotten.

One hundred percent. Hopefully neymar is roasted.

1 Like

That was Cork’s 3rd game in 13 days - they play a high energy running game and you could tell they were fatigued. That’s not taking anything away from Limerick - they were superb on the night and fought for everything but Cork’s pace is a big worry.
As we did and Tipp did second half the week before, the key is to try and get them on the back foot - they have holes in their defence that can be exploited. As I said already, there will also be lots of space for us to exploit, particularly for Lynch who will do damage. But Lehane and Harnedy will hardly be as quiet as last day.

I think Cork have a better forward line than us. Hard to see us keeping them all quiet.

At the other end we have to send everything down on Cahalane and O’Donoghue. Cahalane has a rashness to his game too, an early yellow and he’ll be liable to do something daft, like last year.

I’ve a feeling we’ll have to introduce Casey a lot earlier this time.

Apple

With all due respect will you find a proper hobby for the week . There is a lot more to life than a game of hurling on Sunday and an awful awful lot more to life that spout shit about the game on this site morning , noon and night .

Would you ever stop going on with that shite, one not least because because it’ll be thrown straight back at us on our two Well boys but also cause it’s not true.

There isn’t a lot more to life you bollox. In the grand scheme of things, yes…but for the few weeks that’s left in it the championship is life. He, or any of us, could be doing a lot worse then getting giddy about a game. They are great occasions to be enjoyed…especially as we don’t get them too often. Let the lad alone to enjoy it…there’s enough hardship out there as it is.

2 Likes