Limerick v Kilkenny 2’19

Limerick will weather the storm for 20 mins then pull away to handily win the first half. Once Hannon has the marking job done on Richie Hogan and he’s gone off he’ll go into the pocket as playmaker.

1 Like

I would have huge respect for Kilkenny after last years game and foolishly underestimated them and mr Cody again this year. Cork have managed to pull Hannon out of his sweeping role and limericks defense was very poor when this happened. Limerick will need to start like an absolute train here if it’s raining imo. We tend to start slow bar the all Ireland final. If kk get a fast start imo they’ll play about 5 across the half forward line. Trying to isolate fennelly on mike Casey with acres of room around them. This worst case scenario for limerick. Kk clogging the middle third and poor weather forcing limerick to go long in to Casey and Graeme which doesn’t see them to best effect. Limerick really need a fast start. Drop the half forwards into the middle third and draw kks half back line 20 yards further up the field. Hopefully the likes of Hannon can deliver low ball into the corners where Graeme and Casey can redden their men. Then we can score goals. It’s going to be a brilliant game and limerick will need to be very close 100 percent.

If Holden starts ye will just about be okay, pal.

To target Holden you need to move the kk half back line out. He’s good under a highball and so is lawlor imo. If kk can drag Hannon out it’ll mean English and Finn are forced to strike more ball which in turn means the ball in probably won’t be at the level our inside forwards usually receive. This is a huge win for kk imo.

Also limericks bench. I’d back Dowling to perform even though he hasn’t done so well this championship. He’s probably played only the 4 championship games in croker and done well to varying levels in all of them. After that I’m not so sure. Flanagan hasn’t done yet so far and it doesn’t suit some players being a Sub. Maybe he is one of them. On paper kks bench is probably stronger.

We’ll know if the 4 week break has affected us after 5 minutes on Saturday evening. I sincerely doubt it will affect this group of young Limerick hurlers. These fellas are winners who relish the big day out…I honestly think Limerick will win by 5 or 6 points…Kilkenny wont be able for the display that I’m expecting that they’ll give as they start to come into their prime.

Why do you think it won’t effect the players? What reason exactly? Our opening championship games under kiely have come after a six or seven week break. We have won 1 and lost 2. None of the 3 performances were good. We tend To improve for games in championship too. From tipp to Waterford last year we improved significantly. From kk to Galway we improved after a short break too. From cork to Clare this year we improved. Nearly all the evidence suggests the break will have a negative effect on limerick. Also add in the fact that kiely rested 3 key players v tipp which surely pointed to the fact he wanted to go to the back door route imo? I don’t think limerick will lose because of the bReak but I do think it’s a negative for us.

Thank fuck it’s Wednesday

It’s also possible o Connor and kinnerks training is suited to regular games and not long breaks. They won the all Ireland in 2013 through the back door with Davy and Clare. I think at a minimum there’s an unknown element as how the four weeks off will suit.

The break is a God send for Limerick, keeps the players fresh and injury free. They’ll be hopping come Saturday evening, chomping at the bit to tear us poor Cats apart

Hopefully pal.

He doesn’t really rate Seamus Callanan and thinks Colin Fennelly is a vastly superior player and he’s got some other opinions on hurling. Jesus Christ!

1 Like

Welcome Amourski.

1 Like

Callanan is overrated. He’s a flat track bully. Once he’s stopped you won’t hear from him and under pressure he’s very suspect. If fennellys first touch was better he’d be one of the greats. A great man too. Works incredibly hard for his team. Something you can’t really say about callanan throughout his career.

That critique of Callanan might have been arguable up to 2013. It’s 2019 and he’s the top scorer from play in Championship Hurling History. Ranking Fennelly vastly superior to Callanan is flat out retarded.

1 Like

Bates all. I feel sorry for the real limerick hurling fans. The two of them must be sick

4 Likes

:rofl:

When he does it in a pressure cooker environment I’ll reevaualte my position.

@Watchyourtoes and @dodgy_keeper are about the only two.

Dodgy is def one sure he plans the holidays around them. He is Limericks version of Cyril Kavanagh and every county needs one.

It must gall him sonething rotten the bandwagon though. Hes spent a decade or more railing against it in other sports

3 Likes