Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

And I agree with you on your point - yet the Harty Cup is the be all and end all of Munster hurling, followed by the Munster final.

This clip is interesting. CL roll lifts.

The Harty Cup is an anomaly for sure. Lads could tell you who won the Harty in any year, but not a clue who won the Croke Cup. Having said that, I know that Midleton CBS would dearly love to win a Croke Cup.

1 Like

Same with the MacRory Cup. It’s basically more prestigious than the All-Ireland.

1 Like

If teams had every player outside their own 65 they wouldn’t have the space to score from outside as much

1 Like

It appears to be that way according to the rule book for sure.

Whats stopping freetakers from balancing the ball for,say,a good couple of seconds before striking now,I wonder?

Nothing according to the rule book.There doesnt seem to be a time limit.

Exactly.

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t they? If you’ve 15 inside your own 65 and you have the ball, you then force your opposition to make a decision as to how many defenders they bring out, otherwise you have a total mismatch in terms of numbers. Say if the opposition leave three defenders back and bring three out, that’s still a mismatch of 15 v 11 inside your 65, and they’re still leaving space for a runner to take a pop pass and exploit. If they bring more than three defenders out, they’re leaving potentially fatal amounts of space in front of goal and every possession becomes a goal chance.

You’d have to leave one/wan inside in the full-forward line, in case it dropped shot or hit the post/bar.

There’s only a limited amount of space on the field. If the other team brings 3 backs out to deal with it there’s no space for a short puckout or to get space for a long strike for a point consistently.

If you do that the other team can equally score from their half ?

They’ll probably need to make sliotar heavier at some stage - the modern Hurl is making modern hurlers too powerful (cc @TreatyStones )

1 Like

If you have three more outfield players in the target area than your opposition does, yes you do.

Retention rates improve dramatically depending on where you deliver the ball from. Limerick will nearly always work the ball beyond their own 45 before looking for a ball inside…

I had a graphic on it I can dig out.

3 Likes

Somebody with the catching ability of Tony Aisake O’hAilpin and the predatory instincts of Seanie Leary?

Not when that area isn’t that big. The other team can mark zonally and always have pressure on the man with the ball

Limerick can do that because the opposition are spaced out enough to let them.

Nothing official but once the hurley stops its upward arc from the lift, that’s when you could call it for fouling the ball.

I’m well behind the conversation but my input would be to ensure the 65 is struck behind the 65 like a 20 has to be struck behind the 20. Same for all frees. Give the refs a can of that foam stuff also to stop lads taking that big step. I’m surprised Byrnes hasn’t torn his hamstring he takes such a big lunge.

1 Like

I said it here before. I’d love to see a trial of puckouts being hit in the style of a free rather than from the hand. It would increase the level of difficulty for short puckouts and reduce the accuracy of the longer ones leading to more contested catches and the need for half backs/forwards to compete under dropping balls.

11 Likes

Give Brian Cody a bell there and tell him you’ve figured out how to be successful and see if he’ll make u a selector

3 Likes