Limerick v Kilkenny - All Ireland Final 2022 - The Hego final

There are different ways of creating space. And ways of denying space. It was previously believed that 14 or 15 man defence in Gaelic football would place unsustainable physical demands on players, but that was proven to be wrong.

Massive physical demands are already placed on players. That isn’t going to change. Hurling tactics have already changed out of all recognition from what they were 30 years ago. There’s nothing to say they won’t change out of all recognition again.

Point me to the direction of a football team that had sustainable success playing the game you highlighted above. Donegal won an all ireland but were pretty much spent after it. Waterford were the closest to what you advocate in hurling (but not as extreme). They were spent by McGraths last year.

Look at Limerick, whose structure provides flexibility and efficiency. Its the prototype for the modern game.

5 Likes

As an aside, you talk about how damaging the split season is to the promotion of the game. Personally, I cant think of anything more damaging than teams playing the system you describe above

2 Likes

Under McGuinness Donegal won three Ulster titles, win one All-Ireland and reached another final and a semi-final. They beat the best team to ever play the game all ends up.

You might not call that “sustainable” success, whatever that’s supposed to be. I’d call it the sort of success most counties could only dream of.

Since 2011, outside of Dublin, the one team that has sustained massive challenges year after year is Mayo. Mayo play what is probably the most physically punishing hard running game of any team ever to play the game.

1 Like

The currency that only matters to top teams is all ireland success. By that metric, it was not sustainable.

Inter-county managers have no obligation to provide entertainment. They have an obligation to put in place the tactics they think has the best chance of achieving victory for their team. That’s where tactical innovation has always come from in every sport.

Grand so.

Donegal had won one All-Ireland final before McGuinness became manager. McGuinness’s team was the most successful in Donegal’s history. I don’t think too many Donegal people would quibble that their success in the 2011-2014 period wasn’t “sustainable”.

Sure by that metric the success of 95% of All-Ireland winning teams wasn’t sustainable, including the Down team of 1991-1994 and the Galway team of 1998-2001, both of whom are commonly thought to have played “pretty” football.

Dire games but played in August is the answer.

3 Likes

I’d honestly love to see a hurling team play 15 inside their own half for one reason. To see the absolute meltdown by roaster hurling fans in the stands. Can you imagine the reaction it would create :rofl:

Because point scoring is so easy you need to incentivise the scoring of goals. 5 points for a goal would have a huge impact on the game.

4 Likes

If you thought throwing the sliotar was a problem now…

Even on Sunday there was a fella a few rows in front of me roaring “drive it up the field” every time a Limerick defender got the ball

Nostalgia

And drop the number to 13. Space everywhere. Lads getting to turn and run at fellas and not 100 rucks per game.

1 Like

We now know how the dubs felt now @Spidey , @binkybarnes @Bisto … Lads wanting to change every rule in the game to stop Limerick.

8 Likes

Youre still a step behind the Dubs sham. You wont know til they actually change the rules. A ban on lads working for recruitment companies maybe. And flatcaps.

1 Like

Holding the ball on the bás of the hurl seems to be within rule, so long as the ball stays on the bás before being struck.

Did you not see Waterford under Derek McGrath?

2 Likes

Very True I must have blocked it out!!

1 Like