Lionel Andres Messi

4 Likes

He has finally matured.

Choose which one as you wish.

Wow.

Nice little skelp to a few on here thrown in

1 Like

Is there a “Greatest TFK Climbdowns” thread?

1 Like

@farmerinthecity used to get awful doings for his climbdowns. But we on TFK are nothing if not flexible. Its a foolish man who is not able to stand back and reevaluate his position as time moves by.

I’m sure if that guy ever posted on here, he’d say its not a climbdown as he still stands over everything he said previously, but that what Messi did at this world cup has no relevance to anything else he did. There will be no backtrack or climbdown there

3 Likes

It shows true character and the quality of a person to put his hands up and admit something like that.

I wish @Rocko would do the same, admit he was wrong about Peter Lawwell and ask @fulvio back to the TFK.

It would be an early Christmas present for the board.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s hard to see how @Rocko can continue to be the Jeffrey Donaldson to Fulvios Jarry…

Forgot messi has an Olympic gold medal too from 2008

Messi was terrific at the World Cup before this one. He was player of the tournament at the 2014 World Cup.

Whilst I would not dispute that, certain Tyrone based Italians might have a different view.

It would be great to have him back to confirm this. cc @Rocko

He was fairly shit in the 2014 World Cup after the group phase. Don’t think he scored from play in the knock out games. He buckled under the pressure.

He was actually way better than is remembered. I remember seeing a highlights video of him in it a few years back. Common narrative was he’d dragged them to the final and he had a shot in the final went about two inches wide to win it.
Soccer is mad really. If that last chance the sub for France had went about two inches higher a big percentage of people would probably be calling Messi a bottler and a failure too.

1 Like

Ah that’s a social media thing really.

The whole Messi arc had become fairly poisonous. That Barcelona side built mainly from their academy from 08 to 12 were amazing. The football they played was amazing. It was just a total joy. Messi was the face of it.

Once pep left Messi took over and started to come across as a bit of cunt. Barcelona lost the absolute plot and the whole thing ended up a complete mess.

Messi then heading to psg and taking the oil money was disappointing. He was largely a footnote in the champions league too since around 2016. Barcelona took some awful hammerings and psg didn’t improve with him.

He threw the toys out of the pram in 2018 I think and retired from Argentina. At this most people like me just thought he was a little cunt.

Whatever happened he came back to Argentina and they won that copa America during the 2021 euros? Messi literally won every trophy in that tournament. He seemed to become an actual leader from here on in and possibly just said fuck club football I’ll give the world cup one last go.

I think it’s cap off his incredible career and possibly changes the perception of him but I don’t think it really changed his standing in the game one way or The other in most peoples eyes.

I’d love for him to apologise to Barcelona and their fans and head back their playing for free alongside pedri and Gavi and win another champions league.

4 Likes

Apologise to Barcelona for them running the club so badly that he had to leave?

2 Likes

That absolute ham Higuain cost Messi the 2014 World Cup.

3 Likes

It was Messi that held the club to random and demanded they sign a load of diddies like pjanic.

It is also believed by many Messi is the reason neymar left.

That 2014 POTT was a farce and everyone fucking knows it.