Live GAA on de Telly 2023 (No Discussion)

I think we have to wait and see what the GAA do with regards to GAAGo, I reckon they’ll surprise us.

Is Declan Meehan still a presence in the Croke Park IT?

How do you reckon they’ll surprise us?

What are you expecting to happen?

I’m expecting interest levels among the general public to wane if there are no games on a normal TV Channel on Saturday’s.

I’d say viewership will be much smaller on the GAAGO than what used to watch on Sky even.

2 Likes

I think you’ll be surprised so.

Based on this I’d guess Sky were paying around €5m per annum? There's A Serious Misunderstanding About How Much The GAA Are Getting From Sky Sports | Balls.ie

Second choice and non exclusive but they were a subscription service so would have been paying some level of premium.

Add to that a conservative €1.5m in production costs and €6.5m would be needed to bridge the gap with no Sky.

I had a quick look at GGAGOs accounts there.

€3m in revenue for 2021. At €100 a pop that would imply 30k subscribers but of course there will be ups and downs all year round, so maybe 100k annual users?

The big driver of that will be people wanting to see the Tier 1 games abroad. I find it hard to imagine that with RTÉ broadcasting them for free that there would be nearly the interest in new subscriptions for the service from the domestic Irish audience.

So without a price increase, I’d be sceptical that they could even double those turnover figures.

Streaming services generally cost a fortune to run. There is mass consolidation in the industry. I struggle to see how RTÉ, let alone the GGA can run such a service.

I note though that it is co-owned by RTÉ - this introduces a dilemma. It is arguably in both’s interest to put more Tier 1 games on the App- has this been picked up in the media?

1 Like

When even the RTE Player is shit, I dont see how this GAAGO will be able to be trusted.

Expect mass outrage when people’s streams start to buffer at an important stage in a match, the viewer has paid a 10er to watch.

Exactly.

In truth the government should have stepped in on streaming a few years ago. There should be one platform that all Irish broadcasters can leverage off if desired.

If they were charging 10 euro per game for one camera, one commentator, no analysis or anything, they’ll have to up prices if they wish to bring a little razzmatazz to the production.

What’s LOI TV charging per game? cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Who knows, maybe they will?

LOI tv is 7 euro a game.

1 Like

There is no way in hell GAAGO had 30k subscribers

Why would there be mass outrage I thought nobody gave a shite about round robins or the championship in general?

Mass outrage is probably a little strong as there’ll be small enough numbers actually watching these games, but anyone that does pay a 10er and is interested will be pissed off if their stream is jumpy and cuts out at any stage during a game.

1 Like

An absolute pain watching a crunch championship game on a phone. You just wouldn’t see as much or enjoy it the same as on a television. Maybe it’s a ploy by the GAA to encourage people to attend matches in person but I’d doubt they’re that canny either. It’s been speculated on here that they’ll have 2 All-Ireland quarter-finals on GAA Go too. The cost for genuine but impulsive GAA viewers will be astronomical.

You had *McBennett on the radio yesterday misleading the people of the country into believing that RTÉ will have more games than ever before. This centres around televised coverage of the All-Ireland Club Camogie final being the extra game it seemed. The only positive is the second highlights show but the intellectual GAA fan wants a round the table discussion type program and a Breaking Ball type 30 minute show.

*He’s reviled on TFK for the most part. I must register his name on the cunts of the year thread.

3 Likes

3m in turnover, where else would it be from? Ads?

There’s always an impending sense of doom when watching on a phone or laptop. You just know, you’ll run into technical difficulties at some stage.

RTE sharing it all as a good news story is just typical of them.

1 Like

That “text” from the anonymous GAA fan bemoaning the departure of Des Cahill😂

1 Like

Why would you watch it on your phone?

Not everybody has the ability to connect GAA Go to a television. Neither in the current cost of living crisis would everyone have access to an iPad. The IPTV fellas with GAA Go built in will have access to a great deal now.