Live GAA on de Telly 2023 (No Discussion)

Some county boards not so keen on having their games televised. Believe it takes from the attendance. I know TG4 get regular knockbacks from some counties.

From an article in the Examiner

In 2019, Kerry declined a request from TG4 to show their senior county final between Dr Crokes and East Kerry in Austin Stack Park for fears it would impact the size of the attendance, which in the end was 8,268.

It came after they allowed a St Brendan’s-Legion and East Kerry-Dingle quarter-final double-header to be broadcast live on RTÉ, which the board executive later estimated caused a 35% reduction in the crowd.

This is the final year of the current payment structure of €5k for a live game and €2.5k for a deferred game.

From next year its €15k for a County final, €10k for a semi final and €5k for games outside that.

1 Like

FFS. Anybody who’s a good clubman will be going to watch bogstick or fisty ball in their own county. No casual viewer in their right mind will be sitting at home, wanting to watch the Clare hurling quarter final. Yesterday there was some Donegal football match on between Willysglen and St Ita’s or something. Nobody gives a fuck. Live coverage of anything that’s not minimum a county final should be restricted to very few counties that are pre-agreed between the GGA, the broadcasters, @Cheasty and @peddlerscross. Otherwise drastic action will have to be taken and nobody wants to defund TG4.

7 Likes

:grin:

I predict Podrick Maher will be doing pitch side analysis for this dressed in an Abercrombie and Fitch hoodie, baggy jeans and Adidas Sambas, alongside some Tipperary camogie player I’ve never heard of who is 7/10 looks wise. Brendan Maher might mosey on down for an informal post analysis spot after watching the game from the stand.

2 Likes

Thought the Dublin football was enjoyable Saturday evening.

1 Like

RTÉ seem to have a fascination with showing games from the Cavan senior football championship. That’s a few times they’ve been chosen now.

Jesus that’s a bad auld weekend of it. Netflix it is.

The fuckers could have shown the two Leitrim semi-finals this evening….Grrrr……

1 Like

Would that be a semi or final?

Not exactly live telly but Na Fianna vs Ballyboden free on Dubs TV on YouTube starting any minute now.

2 Likes

How did I miss Ryan O’Dwyer hurling with Mellows? I saw a Ryan O’Dwyer on their team alright but just presumed it wasn’t that Ryan O’Dwyer.

3 different clubs in last 3 years?

Has he moved out of Dublin?

Yeah he’s living in Galway now. The wife’s home place.

He’s a liability

Tbf the hurlig scene in Dublin is a decent watch

This is a lively game.

1 Like

Paul ryan still lethal off his left side

3 Likes

Great standard

1 Like