Liverpool Football Club 2013/14

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 935096, member: 24”]He was linked in the summer of 2011. Comolli was director of football at St Etienne previous to that and wanted to bring him to Liverpool.

But no - we decided to go with Charlie Adam in the end.[/QUOTE]
And Jordan Henderson.

Four - myself, @ClarkeyCat and two non forum members.

I can’t wait for atmosphere before the match. Unlike my last EPL trip, I plan on being in Anfield well in advance of kick off.

I am not even thinking about the match itself.

I met @farmerinthecity[/USER] and [USER=6]@briantinnion for a spot of lunch.

The former missed the first half of the Liverpool match on Sunday as he “was out the night before”.

He seems relaxed enough about the title race.

Anyone watch the legends charity match yesterday??

highlights here-

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/video/latest-videos#17979

@farmerinthecity Although City won yesterday have you changed your mind about the order of ties being an advantage for Liverpool? I think the big gap they opened up on Sunday was a big psychological step towards claiming the title.

I suppose I was coming from the notion of Liverpool knowing what they must do when playing last out of the three teams. It looks like I may have overestimated it as the Crystal Palace match is the only one where they play last out of the three.

You’re better off with money in the bank and City constantly having to play catch up has already psychologically played into Liverpool’s hands. The psychological effect you’re talking about was never better demonstrated than during the 2007/08 SPL title race when Celtic went eight points ahead after the final derby. Despite having four games in hand, I always felt the huns would mess up the two games needed for Celtic to claim the title.

Neville was making a similar point last night in that City can’t really apply pressure given their game in hand isn’t until the final week of the season. That said, it’d suit them playing a team already thinking of holidays if they had their destiny in their own hands. That was probably in their thinking back when rearranging the fixture but it’s backfired a bit now.

City will walk this.

I’m not as confident as I once was I must admit. No Silva no party.

So we seem to have established that Liverpool winning this league would be one of the greatest shocks in association football history.
Would it be the greatest against the odds league win in any sport?

Knock out competitions don’t count

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 935637, member: 2142”]So we seem to have established that Liverpool winning this league would be one of the greatest shocks in association football history.
Would it be the greatest against the odds league win in any sport?[/QUOTE]
Montpellier a few years ago in France.
Dortmund when they won the league a couple of years ago
If Atletico win la liga this year.

Those are all examples in the last couple of years that would be bigger shocks

[QUOTE=“Tabby, post: 935637, member: 2142”]So we seem to have established that Liverpool winning this league would be one of the greatest shocks in association football history.
Would it be the greatest against the odds league win in any sport?[/QUOTE]
I would say it would be up there given the almost unlimited financial resources that are available to City and Chelsea

Last summer alone City spent on transfer fees (disregarding cost of contracts) £103m or net spend of £85m

They finished 17 points ahead of Liverpool

Liverpool spent £45m and net spend of £20m

Can run similar numbers for Chelsea but nobody predicted that Liverpool would even challenge for the title and a fourth place was regarded as unlikely too.

[QUOTE=“the man himself, post: 935710, member: 1766”]Montpellier a few years ago in France.
Dortmund when they won the league a couple of years ago
If Atletico win la liga this year.

Those are all examples in the last couple of years that would be bigger shocks[/QUOTE]

I would have thought that Athletico’s wouldn’t be as massive a shock. This side have won a Uefa Cup, Super Cup and a Coppa Del Rey in the last two seasons and picked up close to 80 points last season. They have been progressively building since Simeoine took charge and have been an excellent side since he took over. Granted they were outsiders considering they are competing with Real and Barca but it is not as if they have come from nowhere

Liverpool have had three fairly poor seasons where they haven’t even threatened to break into the top four let alone compete for the league and now are on the cusp of winning it and is a much bigger turnaround in fortunes.

[QUOTE=“chewy louie, post: 935723, member: 1137”]I would have thought that Athletico’s wouldn’t be as massive a shock. This side have won a Uefa Cup, Super Cup and a Coppa Del Rey in the last two seasons and picked up close to 80 points last season. They have been progressively building since Simeoine took charge and have been an excellent side since he took over. Granted they were outsiders considering they are competing with Real and Barca but it is not as if they have come from nowhere

Liverpool have had three fairly poor seasons where they haven’t even threatened to break into the top four let alone compete for the league and now are on the cusp of winning it and is a much bigger turnaround in fortunes.[/QUOTE]
Atletico lost their best player in the summer to be fair. Look at the difference in wages and transfer fees between Atletico and the big two. I would say its a hell of a lot larger than the difference between Liverpool and Manchester City. Also, Liverpool have one of the best players in the world in their team

[QUOTE=“chewy louie, post: 935723, member: 1137”]I would have thought that Athletico’s wouldn’t be as massive a shock. This side have won a Uefa Cup, Super Cup and a Coppa Del Rey in the last two seasons and picked up close to 80 points last season. They have been progressively building since Simeoine took charge and have been an excellent side since he took over. Granted they were outsiders considering they are competing with Real and Barca but it is not as if they have come from nowhere

Liverpool have had three fairly poor seasons where they haven’t even threatened to break into the top four let alone compete for the league and now are on the cusp of winning it and is a much bigger turnaround in fortunes.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Atletico have been improving and Barcelona visibly disimproving. It would be a great achievement for them to win the league, particularly because Real Madrid and Barcelona are tougher opponents than Manchester City and Chelsea, but I think they were closer to those two already and were a decent competitive team.

As I mentioned previously and @the man himself says above - Montpellier really did come from nowhere to win Ligue Un. And that was after PSG got their money, though before they spent most of it.

But just because Athletico spend far less on wages doesn’t make it a bigger shock, it is a great achievement against the odds alright. They have been a consistently excellent side since Simione took them over and it hasn’t come out of the blue, they have been winning cups and big games under him since he got there.

In simple terms, the fact Chelsea sent a player on loan to Liverpool for the season indicates they didn’t regard them as a credible threat to their chances of winning the league.

Can all you cunts setting Liverpool up for a big fall, please fuck off… This can all be discussed if and when a title is won.