Liverpool Football Club 2013/14

You’re a cruel fucker at times Mac. Racist.

Mate - stop fucking explaining yourself. You’re a Liverpool supporter, they mean a lot to you. You don’t have to justify it to some lad from Cork who is the definition of a spoofer.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 924745, member: 24”]I began supporting Liverpool around the 1987/88 season. Barely remember it but I recall people going crazy about them. I supported them, partly because they were the best team, but mainly because they had a lot of Irish players.

I remember Hillsborough pretty vividly. I remember Peter Beardsley hitting the crossbar. I remember people being on the pitch behind the Forest goal. I remember Neil Webb turning around in despair as he watched what was going on. I was feeling under the weather at the time and soon after I retired to bed. My brother’s kept calling in with the death toll 10, 20 50, 70, 90 etc.

In the ‘replay’ I recall Aldo rubbing the head of Brian Laws after he scored an own goal. He got a bit of stick for that given all that happened.

I was playing football out on our sileage pit concrete slab for much of Liverpool Arsenal 1989. I fell and got a nasty gash on my elbow. I remember thinking that it was utterly incredible that Arsenal did it.

Like @Sidney I wasn’t much a fan of the Souness years but mainly because we were utter shite. He also got rid of Whelan, Houghton, Staunton and Beardsley. I do recall Mark Walters getting the winner in a 3-0 win in a European tie versus Auxerre having been 2-0 down for the first leg.

It was the 1994/95 season where I became obessed with Liverpool. They beat Palace 6-1 away on the opening game, the same weekend Leitrim played Dublin in the 1994 All Ireland semi. They lost narrowly to United and Newcastle and beat Blackburn 3-1 in the League Cup. They were playing excellent stuff and had the novel 3 centre backs. McManaman and Fowler were great to watch. When we bought Collymore at the end of that season I was sure we were going to win the league but we never really recaptured the excitement of that season. I actually shed a tear when United beat us in the FA Cup final in 1996 giving them the 'double double… ‘Cantona, yes indeed!!’ said George Hamilton.

Next was the Houllier era. I liked him initially, mainly for cast Ince aside. He also bought Didi who I thought was a super player at Newcastle and Hyppia who was a real gem. 2001 was the year of the 3 cups (not a treble, or year of the 5 cups as Houllier would have you believe). That was great but I never liked the mentality of Houllier with his ten men behind the ball. As the seaons progressed I learned to hate Houllier and his carry on. I rejoiced when he got the boot.

Rafa’s first season was incredible. In ways I have never come to terms with it. I refuse to say it was a jammy win because we beat whatever was put in front of us, some very good teams at that. I could write an essay on that night but suffice to say it was my best ever night as a Liverpool supporter. I liked Rafa and 2009 was the best I saw Liverpool play ever probably but then he began to revert to old Houllier type lines of winning Charity Shields and Super Cups. In the end I thought it was best that he left.

If 2009 was the best I had seen Liverpool, 2010 was the worst. The club in ruins thanks to Gillette and Hicks, us being linked with Paul Scharner on a Bosman during the summer, the likes of Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen playing for us. We were acually in the relegation zone and who knows what would happen. I was delighted when Kenny took over again and turned around the season. I had big hopes for the following season but always disputed the signing of Andy Carroll. Not even for the amount of money but more for the fact that top teams play with the False 9 or even a mobile striker and that wasn’t Carroll. Some of the signings were awful (Downing, Adam) - I thought it best that Kenny left.

I was happy enough with the Rodgers choice, certainly preferred him to Martinez and I thought we were going in the right direction last season. This season has been simply incredible and is a throw back to 2009. Hopefully we can hold on in there.

In terms of players we all love Fowler and McManaman. Had Stevie not asked to leave that time, he would be the definite winner. I loved (emphasise ‘d’) Torres - the amount of games which he won with a moment of striker brilliance are incredible. He definitely blotted his copy book with the Chelsea move. Suarez is incredible but I never just warmed to him. That is certainly changing now.

My favourite Liverpool players would be John Alridge (always loved the scally head of him), Sami Hyypia and Didi Hamann (because they were immense and loved the club). I also loved Xabi Alonso as a player but didn’t like when he left.

YNWA

Justice of the 96[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 924756, member: 273”]The majority of lads going to England every week are just event junkies that the travel agents role in just like the rugby lads. Can you not see it’s the same thing?
I get the emotional attachment, but it’s to YOUR youth and your mates, not Liverpool FC.[/QUOTE]

My mates are on TFK, mate. And event junkies don’t obssess about something 24/7- I threatened to kill my mother when Viduka scored 4 and Dave O’Learly uttered the words ‘I love beating Liverpool as a player, and I love beating them as a manager.’ I stopped traffic as I sang Liverpool songs in the middle of the road on my 2o minute walk home after Liverpool beat Utd 2-0 in a Carling cup final. All my girlfriends have had to plan their/our social life around Liverpool games and in years gone by when I was far more immature our night hinged on whether Liverpool won or lost… Munster/Irish fans sing the fields of Athenry win, lose or draw, but that’s fashionable. I still attend Limerick FC games, go to the odd Ireland game, but nothing stirs me quite like Liverpool FC (except Limerick hurling), or ever will. I see the clowns now that follow rugby- clueless for the most part- and yeah, it is becuase they have something local to tap into, which makes you wonder why aren’t they tapping into GAA or Limerick FC?? - Simple answer- What status can you attain from supporting either of thos two, none!

People Kev Knows. How many pages are we on now?

They won more prestigious trophies in the Souness era than they did from 1994 to 2001.

Harsh to see lads landing on farmers passionate post for a mere typo, I liked it mate. We should encourage that sort of raw emotion.

You’re right, pal. I just won’t have my loyalty questioned, by anyone!

Bloody hell Mac. You really have little to be doing that snooping through posts highlighted obvious spelling mistakes.

It was actually a genuine question as I didn’t know. I can’t talk for the other gobshite however.

Justice of the 96 doesn’t make any sense.

Yes, that’s why I asked the question.

Why the fuck is everyone so testy around here this morning?

My first memory of Liverpool FC is actually Heysel… I was obviously way too young to comprehend what was going on but I remember it being on the tv in the kitchen and my parents watching it in disbelief… A few years later I inheritied that tv, one of those small cube black and white portables, and innocently watching the Life of Brian one night when all of a sudden a bush appears on the screen and I was over come with confusion and a weird sense of attraction that I just couldn’t comprehend. The events of Heysel and Liverpool Football Club in general will forever be linked to one of my first sexual experiences as a result.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 924768, member: 24”]People Kev Knows. How many pages are we on now?

They won more prestigious trophies in the Souness era than they did from 1994 to 2001.[/QUOTE]
I can’t control what others post farmer. Anyone I have actually said I know, I know.

No Agger, Sakho starts.

Sakho starts instead of Agger, who isn’t even on the bench, so presumably he’s picked up an injury.
[SIZE=4]
West Ham United[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[]13 Adrián
[
]20 Demel
[]08 Armero
[
]14 Taylor
[]05 Tomkins
[
]02 Reid
[]23 Downing
[
]16 Noble
[]09 Carroll
[
]04 Nolan
[]21 Diamé
[/LIST]
[SIZE=3]Substitutes[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[
]07 Jarvis
[]22 Jääskeläinen
[
]24 Cole
[]26 Cole
[
]27 Potts
[]28 Johnson
[
]47 Nocerino
[/LIST]
[SIZE=4]Liverpool[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[]22 Mignolet
[
]02 Johnson
[]38 Flanagan
[
]08 Gerrard
[]37 Skrtel
[
]17 Sakho
[]14 Henderson
[
]10 Coutinho
[]15 Sturridge
[
]31 Sterling
[]07 Suarez
[/LIST]
[SIZE=3]Substitutes[/SIZE]
[LIST]
[
]01 Jones
[]04 Kolo Touré
[
]09 Iago Aspas
[]12 Moses
[
]20 Cissokho
[]21 Lucas
[
]24 Allen
[/LIST]

I just wrecked the Jacks…

Come on ta fuck

I needed two flushes to clear it this morning. And I still have quite a lot of trapped wind.

West Ham have started brightly

Is Gerrard still a booking away from a ban?

Yes.