Peace among the supporters

A great night of real football, real people

Letā€™s get behind the Reds for the final

Iā€™m emotional

Yeeeessssss

1 Like

Liverpool :heart: :heart: :heart:

A shocking turn of events.

All five previous finals were won by Liverpool playing in all-red against a team in all-white. I wouldnā€™t put it past Madrid as the home team opting to play in their navy kit. Best for Liverpool not to focus too much on 2007. Although, you might think about lobbying Dr Leo to call off the referendum the day before until proceedings in Kiev are disposed of. Maybe put it back to the following Friday. The 2007 final was the night before an Eire General Election.

Liverpool are very Limerick

Bleak, crime ridden, dreary, always raining, and little employment to speak of?

1 Like

Along with always being liable to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

1 Like

A great phrase.

Good result tonight.

Iā€™m confident we can avoid a home defeat to Brighton.

Even if we do lose Iā€™m sure Rafa would do us a favour anyway.

Liverpool donā€™t blow Champions League places from this position.

The omens might not be so good. The last time Liverpool got past Roma to lift the European Cup, Brighton & Hove Albion won at Anfield to prevent the quadruple. Actually, that win in 1984 might have been at the Goldstone Ground. The season before that Brighton & Hove Albion definitely won at Anfield en route to the Cup Final.

1984 is just that bit too far back for me to remember but I do recall them nearly beating us in the FA Cup Fourth Round in 1991. That was definitely at the Goldstone Ground - actually it must have been a replay after a draw at Anfield as it was on a midweek night. Think we might have won 2-1 in extra-time or something. Rush definitely scored.

That was an eventful Cup campaign - Liverpoolā€™s Third Round tie at Blackburn had been televised live by RTE - Mark Atkins put through his own goal in injury time to give us a replay after Blackburn had led for most of the match.

Then the unforgettable Fifth Round saga against our great rivals which saw both the team and King Kenny exit stage left.

Remember watching that one myself. Think Kevin Moran was playing for Blackburn that day. Had never heard of Blackburn until that week

Incidentally today was the 26th anniversary of the 1992 FA Cup Final and Linda Martin winning the Eurovision.

Indeed it was (still is). Iā€™d never thought of that.

But Iā€™ve thought of something else and will update said thread immediately if it hasnā€™t already been.

Jesus, this place is like a bunch of old men trying to prove they donā€™t have Alzheimers sometimes.

1 Like

@GeoffreyBoycott - have Liverpool ever played Brighton in any big games in the past?

I also remember that Blackburn-Liverpool cup draw.

@Sidney, I have a recollection of a young Blackburn ball boy enthusiastically firing the ball back to a Liverpool player as quickly as he could before that late equaliser. Some pundit of the day was blaming the kid for the goal saying Atkins wasnā€™t set and was caught unawares when the ball came in before he was ready. Do you remember this?

No.

I remember the goal though. Cross in from the right hand side and Atkins got his legs all tied up and I think sort of just shinned or stabbed it in after an awkward bounce. At the time it seemed to be the age old story of the little guy not being able to catch a break against Goliath, and that having missed his chance and had the fates conspire against him, heā€™d never be heard of again.

Iā€™m pretty sure only one player on the pitch that day would go on to win an English League championship medal in the future. It was Atkins.

Iā€™ve just found this. Last 9/10 minutes with Jimmy Magee and Johnny Giles in commentary. Ball boy giving the quick pass to Steve Nicol after 8 minutes.

https://youtu.be/e1VHtb_1byo

1 Like