Liverpool Football Club 2017/18

And of course King Kenny was managing Blackburn nine months later.

You wouldn’t have got many predicting that at the time.

Yes, I can recall the ball boy getting the blame on MOTD. Can’t remember which of the pundits was laying into him, probably Jimmy Hill. I attended another FA Cup 3rd Round tie in Lancashire that very same day. I was in Preston over New Year and nipped over to Bloomfield Park, Blackpool to see the visiting Tottenham Hotspur, who were having a dismal season eek out a very unconvincing 0-1 win. Four months later, we lifted the FA Cup for a then record breaking 8th time.

2 Likes

Did the great Justin Edinburgh make his Tottenham debut that day?

My auld lad attended that 1991 Cup Final. In fact he attended every final for a 30-odd year spell between the mid 1960s and the mid 1990s. His late uncle worked on the ground staff in the old Wembley Stadium and was always good for a final ticket. He was also at Manchester United’s European Cup Final victory in 1968 there. I myself joined him for the 1990 Cup Final between Manchester United and Crystal Palace, the 3-3 draw game. I was 8 at the time and was scared of the Manchester United supporters who were breaking the seats and generally being rowdy.

5 Likes

He was playing alright that day but I can’t remember if it was his debut. Paul Stewart scored the winner.

In July 1990 myself and my family were in London and took the Tube out to Wembley. The World Cup had finished less than a week previously and both myself and my brother were wearing “Who’ll Put The Ball In The English Net?” t-shirts from the Penneys World Cup range of the time.

I knew from previous experience that there was an official entry point where visitors could pay to enter a restricted seating area of the stadium, but my late grandmother from Scotstown, who was leading us around as she always did, decided that she would speak to some people outside and get us an alternative route into the stadium.

She went over to a couple of gentlemen who looked like they worked at the stadium, and it turned out one of them was from Wexford who was a very nice gentleman, and obviously felt a connection because of our common Irishness. He said, “I’ll show you around” and led us right up the players’ tunnel, over the dog track and up to the chalk of the pitch (I don’t think there was any chalk on it at the time). We got to soak up the ambience for a good five minutes or so. On the way back down the tunnel he showed us around the dressing rooms.

A lovely memory indeed and I’m sure there are some photos of it all buried deep in a box in Dublin. which I must scan and put up on my Facebook page sometime - maybe a poster here could hack into my account and post them up, actually.

4 Likes

A former Blackpool player himself.

1 Like

It’s grand lads.
Leicester will draw with Spurs.
We’ll bate Brighton the weekend to finish 3rd and then rock on to Kiev and bate Madrid with our cap.
The slating of United fans, I honestly can’t wait.

Everything will be right in the world again.

1 Like

I wonder was @Mullach_Ide in the thick of it breaking up the seats and acting rowdy?

That 1990 final replay was on a Thursday night. Cup Final replays back then were always on the Thursday night. Great occasions.

1 Like

Unbelievable scenes. :eek:

2 Likes

I’d estimate that the gentleman from Wexford was somewhere between 50 and 60 years of age, with the caveat that my ability to judge the age of adults was not as good then as it is now. I think he was wearing a white short sleeved shirt with black formal-type trousers. If I was to compare his appearance to somebody well known, I’d say former US vice-president Joe Biden.

1 Like

No jeff, it wasn’t me, I sat my Leaving Certificate that year and saw Lee Martin’s winner through the front window of our local TV/Electrical Goods merchant after Minor Hurling training.

1 Like

For shame, any music fan would have known the pothole situation in Blackburn Long before the 90s

1 Like

I was 8 when that match was played. If it wasn’t Guns ‘N’ Roses, I wasn’t listening to it mate.

Did he bring you to the kit room for a change of shorts?

Mo salahhhhhh

1 Like

Should be three up already

Could have had 2 or 3 penalties as well.
The Egyptian King hacked down and ref waves no foul.

1 Like

Chelsea losing at Newcastle.

Just don’t get injured second half, lads.

Get a third after HT and bring on Ings, Clyne and AdLa/Morono

Liverpool don’t throw away three goal leads.