Liverpool Football Club 2017/18

Cunny Kenningham had an interesting tactical preview on Off the Ball last night. He said if Real play two up top they’ll lose. He reckoned Zidane needs to play 5 in midfield using two wingers to block the wide areas. In short, if Benzema plays, Liverpool win.

They’re a much better team with Benzema playing

Jonathan Wilson with a surprisingly simple article in the Guardian about the match.

Left back of Madrid defensively and right back of Liverpool defensively the problem areas.

Depends how Klopp uses Salah. Asks him to drop back and help TAA or leaves him up top to expose the space departed by Marcelo. If he does the latter, Wilson argues that Liverpool could destroy Madrid attacking wise but Madrid could get serious joy from the lack of protection of TAA. He concludes by saying it could go any way by any result.

2 Likes

Madrid will win, they’ve knocked out better teams than Liverpool in the previous three rounds.

2 Likes

Kenny was wondering what Zidane would do. He reckons they’d be in trouble if they leave the flanks unattended especially Salah’s wing. He pointed to Marcello and Ramos being the weakness and leaving those two unprotected would be disasterous especially because of Marcello’s dislike for defending. However only paying one up front minimises Real’s ability to get at TAA and Lovren. Zidane probably won’t like to be seen to blink so will play two up top. I think he’d be right to because both Liverpool full backs can be got at from crosses to the back post.

Madrid have the experience and know how - they will stifle Liverpool and kill the game and have enough the other end to pick up the goals they need … they are no great shakes at the back themselves but they wont play into Liverpool’s hands like others have … Liverpool will have to score a couple of early goals to win it.

Real’s superior bench as well as Liverpool’s inevitable exhaustion will mean they’ll need to be a couple of goals up with ten to go. Predictions never take into account a sending off or an injury to a key player so yerra it could go either way I suppose.

Klopp has made fools of pretty much the same Madrid team before, and that Madrid team had a better manager and were younger.

Zidane is a clap your hands manager, not a tactics man.

Carvajal showed himself very vulnerable to this exact tactic against Juventus. And Liverpool exploited this exact tactic against both Manchester City and Roma. Against Bayern Munich, Madrid were vulnerable to the same tactic from the left hand side too.

I don’t want to be accused of being overconfident but I genuinely think we’ll win 3-0.

In saying that, my official prediction for forum purposes is Madrid to win on penalties.

Doesn’t always work out that way .

It doesn’t but its a good form guide. I don’t think Liverpool would have been near this stage if they had the route Madrid had.

Put Mane on the right.

If my auntie had bollocks she’d be my uncle.

2 Likes

or transitioning

1 Like

Have Liverpool had the easiest run to a champions league final in the modern era?

1 Like

No, 77, 78, 81, 84 and 05 were handier. Meant they were fresh for the final.

1 Like

Unfortunately that phrase is no longer useable

That’s the way it’s gone these days.

just got there with 10 seconds to spare

If Liverpool are 4 up with 10 minutes to go then they will be right in this final with a chance to win it.

3 Likes

Liverpool fans taking an absolutely hiding in Kiev tonight. Grim viewing on twitter.