Liverpool football Club 2019/20 - Champions

It’s very hard to compare eras but I think there’s few teams of today’s game that could live with that Preston team.

3 Likes

Footballers playing football how outrageous

Indeed. Man U fans very keen to bring an old side from a bygone century into just about every discussion of the merits of the world champion Liverpool side of 2019/20.

2 Likes

You’re all over the shop with your apostrophes m8

1 Like

This fucking phone has a mind of it’s own…just get on with it

Man City have won 8 of the last 9 domestic trophies available to them. Guardiola has sown up English football

1 Like

He’s been a breath of fresh air and the best manager of the last decade without a doubt… I was just saying Liverpool judge success on European cups and leagues… One has evaded them for 30 years, and they are royalty when it comes to the other… Id take one CL every 10 years over 10 FA cups.

1 Like

ah yeah look, no matter what Guardiola does domestically it’s to be expected and he’s that good he only seems to be judged on his European exploits, if an British manager performed like Pep there’d be no end to the praise. They won the first ever domestic treble last year (plus charity shield) and you’d hardly hear a word about it.

Unfortunately for Pep, whoever is in charge of recruitment at City is an absolute dunce. You’ll never win a Champions league with the like of Walker, Otamendi, Stones, Mendy and Mahrez etc. No matter what Guardiola does tactically, one of those clowns will let him down and gift a goal (throw in Cancelo to that too). The only one they’ve got right is Laporte, they just can’t buy defenders.

1 Like

If it ain’t Liverpool, I hope Pep does it this year…when will you have a centre half fit?

Laporte is out with a hamstring now. (3-4 weeks) The only fit ones are Stones and Otamendi and Fernandinho if you count him (probably best of whats left)

Full backs are the bigger worry.

I disagree. I think he coaches defenders terribly and has a basic flaw in his preferred system. He was blessed with busquets (defensively)at Barca. His problem is that he tries to get so many of his players forward to keep possession high up the pitch. His defenders are often left dealing with extra fellas running at them ar pace. It’s like he thinks it’s unlucky if they let in a goal having had loads of possession.
It doesn’t always tell against them in the league but when they play in Europe they are made pay for it.

The errors I’m talking about are blatant defensive fuck ups that have cost them dearly, that you can’t legislate or coach for.

But I agree with your point to a certain extent. He has been very naieve and stubborn in Europe. That’s why I was so surprised to see him set up pragmatically in the Bernabeau, that was a tactical masterclass

Slim pickings in the EPL era, domestically, trophy wise, for just about everyone outside the elite coterie of monied super franchises. No top flight trophy for Spurs since 2008, Everton since 1995, Aston Villa since 1996, Leeds since 1992 and Newcastle since 1955.

Since 2006, domestically it’s just one League Cup in 2012 for Liverpool. It really does emphasise the scale of the achievement of Coach Klopp and the champions elect getting the measure of the financial behemoths of the two Manchesters and Chelsea.

you need to speculate to accumulate.

No surprise Liverpool are winning a Premier League now after breaking the World Record transfer fees for a goalie and a defender.

Liverpool usually have to sell first tho.

Acquisitions that were financed by offloading Coutinho to Barcelona. Liverpool really are a shining example of prudent fiscal management.

so Coutinho funded Allison, Van Dijk, Matip, Robertson, Wijnaldum, Mane, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri, Keita, Firminho

some business

Suarez money helped with a lot of the early buys

in the 27 years of the premier league there have been 6 different winners - 7 this season with Liverpool (Utd won 12 in this time)

in the 27 years before the EPL there have been 9 different winners of the old first division, with 7 of those coming between 64-72 (Liverpool won 9 in the 27 years)

The balance of power has shifted and the teams are different, but there patterns aren’t much different since the early 70’s

Whoever had money and/or Brian Clough won the league

1 Like

Correct.