Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

In Fairness to Rafa that was one of the first things he tried to address (the academy) and most of the young players coming through now are down to himā€¦ He was very reluctant to give them a chance tho as you say. In no other league does it happenā€¦ the Germans and Spanish etc have them playing 3rd division football for a year or two all the time coaching them the clubs way of playing football. In England they are not given a chance and end up in the lower leagues at an older age at the expense of cheap foreignersā€¦ However, the FA have restructered the reserve league this year, whereby northern teams will now face the likes of Arsenal, Chelase etcā€¦ Should make it some bit more competitive.

Liverpool linked to Stiliyan Petrov this morning.

I like Petrov as a player I must say.

What kinda role would he fill though?

Centre midfield.

He can play as the holder or alongside a holder as a playmaker, similar to Alonso.

Very stylish footballer but would doubt that Oā€™Neill would let him go.

There is only 1-2 seasons left in Petrov I would say, I wouldnā€™t like to lose him as he all we have for the holding role at the minute, I couldnā€™t see O Neill letting him go though.

Petrov hasnā€™t been great at Villa at all. He sits firmly on the shelf marked ā€˜decent but not good enough to challenge for the league or in europe.ā€™

I donā€™t think heā€™s a good enough playmaker or holder to be playing for Liverpool to be honest. So Iā€™d love to see him arrive at Anfield.

Exactlyā€¦ An average player doing well at an average club. The calibure of player being linked over the last few days is really a worry.

No offence but what do you expect? We have no money, no Champions League football and are not the most attractive of propositions for the really top players.

Petrov hasnā€™t really had the chance to show himself at the very highest level. I think he is worth a punt at 7 million. He fills the role perfectly that Liverpool lack and it is not a ridiculous amount of money either.

7 million?!! Surely 7 mill could get better quality across the continent? Iā€™m not having a pop, but that seems really bad value for money imo.

Yeah, i realise that, but Petrov and Young?? Fuck that, Iā€™d rather give youth a chance and develop than waste money on average players nearing the end of their careers.

Ā£7m!!! Yikes. I expected they were picking him up for 3/4m.

Definitely better value to be got than that.

FFSā€¦ā‚¬7 million for Petrov.

Can you have a rethink about this one Farmer?

Even though O Neill rates Petrov highly I would say heā€™d drive him to Anfield himself for Ā£7m

I donā€™t think 7 million is ridiculous money I have to say. When you see 6 million being thrown about for Lucas, and 20 million plus for Milner then 7 million for a quality midifielder isnā€™t too bad.

Granted he is 30, but he is exactly the type of player we need with experience of playing in the EPL. Hodgson seems to be happy buying players to do a job at the moment in the hope that the club get new owners in the not too distant future.

7 million is the figure that the Mirror is mentioning, weā€™ll see how it develops.

How much would Flamini cost? Youā€™d surely get him for that sort of money. And thats just off the top of my head.

I would have Petrov ahead of Flamini as a midfielder.

Flamini is younger, hungrier and is suited to EPL and Europe.

Failing that, Muntari, Poulsen or even Diarra. All viable options.

Flamini is being touted around by Milan for a reported Ā£4m.

Nuff said.

He is on around 100k a week though, there lies the problem.