Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

Celtic have easily disposed of Liverpool in Celtic Park today despite conceding an early own goal and missing a penalty. It finished 3-1 in the pilot game for the new Youths Champions League that UEFA are set to introduce. No shame in taking a beating off the pride of Ireland and Raheem Sterling was apparently very impressive.

Sean St Ledger being linked from a few sources this morning. I like St Ledger as a player I must say.

Carlton bloody Cole linked again. FFS.

Big man for torrews to play off? why they did not play crouch and torres i dont knowā€¦

Iā€™d say they could get robbie at a steal.

They tried it, most notably in the quarter final of the CL with Arsenal a few years back and the two of them ran into each other.

Torres reportedly demands that he plays up front by himself, I think we are better in that situation with Gerrard off him. Cole is only a back up if Torres gets injured.

Just thinking there - Hodgsonā€™s ability to pick out a player must be seriously undermined now with the purchase of Paul Konchesky. An extremely limited player.

I think he also paid 5 or 6 million odd to buy Christain Daily to Blackburn back in the day. One of the worst players I have seen to kick a ball at a reasonably high level.

Add in Poulsen, Meireles etc and you are seeing a trend hereā€¦ Guys coming to the end of their careerā€™s.

Thatā€™s why the owners have brought in Damien Comolli from St. Etienne (and Formerly Spurs) as the new director of footballā€¦ Interesting times ahead for roy.

Surely the purchase of Konchevsky was merely a stopgap solution, he had no money, no clout and no time. Konchevsky was a riskless buy in that situation, short term at best.

Also, was Comolli at Arsenal for a period, with his only notable capture while there being Clichy?

He bigged up Konchesky as well, saying how lucky he was to get a top class English left back for so little money.

Director of Football - never liked those things.

Riskless - he is shite. I would prefer Agger or Aurelio to him.

Agger wont play there. I meant riskless in that heā€™d performed a job for RH in the past and he knew his attitude, etc. Heā€™s extrememly limited but I wouldnt hang RH for that signing, CM pointed out a lot better examples.

I am surprised nobody mentioned Woyā€™s grovelling apology to Rafa yesterdayā€¦he is fast becoming a laughing stock well out of his depth

That was prettly shameful alright, Rafa owned him. Fact.

This is his English recordā€¦ (Comolliā€™s)

Modric, Bale, Pavluchenko, Toure, Eboue, Clichy, Berbatov, dos Santos, K-P Boateng, Gomes

vs.

Hutton, Mido, Malbranque, Zokora, Murphy, Bentley, (Bent), (Woodgate), Gunter, Rocha, Chimbonda

Bent wasnā€™t up to much for spurs so at the time it was a flopā€¦ Malbranque is a 50/50 I guess.

He only mentioned two.

Poulsen cost around 5m. He is not great but I would have more faith in him as a centre midfielder as I would have in Konchesky at left back.

Meirelles looks ok so far - hasnā€™t been superb but he definitely deserves more time.

Meireles is coming along nicely and I think has a place at the club. I was merely pointing out the average age of the calibre of player he is buying.

You still wouldnt have a left back though Farmer.

We have a fine left back in the making, in Mavinga, but he has not been giving playing time yet !!! Cuntsā€¦ I hope he is brought on some bit this year

Meireles is only 27 so not exactly coming to the end of his career.

Iā€™d actually be delighted to sign St. Ledger. Iā€™ve been surprised that he hasnā€™t made the step up sooner. Heā€™s very authorative which obviously suits the EPL but heā€™s also very composed on the ball. Think there may have been some question marks over his attitude in the early days but have heard nothing negative since he entered the Irish setup.

what happened with Legers move to Boro that time? Seemed to come to an end very quickly when it seemed a foregone conclusion that the loan period would turn into a long term deal.