Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

Liverpoolā€™s team, as it currently stands, is good enough to be challenging for the top 4. Reina, Gerrard and Torres are all top class, I think Agger is the best defender at the club, Kuyt is certainly decent. Johnson, while being a shit defender is a very good attacking force. Joe Cole is a good player but is in horrendous form.

I, as much as anyone, overlooked Hodgsonā€™s previous poor managerial record in light of his exploits at Fulham. Sacked by Blackburn, performed poorly at Inter, this guy doesnā€™t have much credentials. To lose to Newcastle, Wolves and Blackburn simply isnā€™t good enough for a team with the players that are in it.

As for his replacement, I donā€™t know. Part of me wants an up and coming manager, the likes of Coyle, while I think now is the time to get some proven manager in. Of course the problem with that is getting someone that would want to come to Liverpool. Given the sounds coming from Henry etc, they are very much taking a long term view of the club which would indicate that they may go for an up and coming manager.

One of Hodgsonā€™s biggest errors was the selection of Gerrard back in the centre of the field. Liverpool spent years trying to find Gerrardā€™s best position and finally found it when they played him off Torres. The two have an excellent partnership, have quality so why break it up. Particularly for someone as ordinary as David Ngog.

Of course when Gerrard is pushed back into the centre, Meirelles is pushed onto the right or left and the whole balance of the team is affected. Of course Gerrard is also not a very good central midfielder.

Interesting that you mention Slaven Bilic whereas Iā€™d have said has Owen Coyle has the same credentials with more understanding of the Premiership. I think the important point is that Liverpool are miles away and the best that can be hoped for this season is a Europa League spot. Major rebuilding and time are required. Iā€™d advocate Coyle to do that and to be given at least 5 years to build a team and a brand of football. I look at players that have come up from the Championship that Iā€™d gladly have at Liverpool (the likes of Bale, Adam Johnson, Carroll) and I reckon Coyle would be good at unearthing and developing that sort of talent. Rafa tried that to an extent but then didnā€™t have the balls to bring players into the first team, the likes of Hobbs, Hammill and Anderson who are now thriving in the Championship.

The likes of Bilic/Klinsmann/Rijkaard etc. could have their heads turned after a year or two by continental clubs whereas I think Coyle wuld see Liverpool possibly as a pinnacle and somewhere perhaps to build a legacy in the Ferguson mould (obviously getting way ahead of myself there).

They do have 4 or 5 excellent players, I never said they didnā€™t but we wont win anything with only 4 or 5 excellent players, we have seen what happens when they get injured. Yes those 4 or 5 players will give any new incoming manager a good foundation on which to build but unfortunately for Liverpool the other players for me dont cut it. Babbel never has and never will cut it, Maxi is blows hot and cold more cold too often, Johnson has been terrible all season, Ngog well for me personally I dont think he has it, Poulsen is crap, to name but a few these players need to be got rid off. I dread to think what would happen if Reina got injured. In saying that there are some young players who look good, Kelly had done well when he has come in, Sperring looks good but needs time and I hope Gerrard is having a quiet word with him during training to help him along.

Hodgeson does have them playing shite football and I also think he has lost the dressing room. I dont think the players ever approved of his appointment. I would love to see Bilic come in and maybe he will but for him to come he would need some money and time to work with the team and the summer is the best time for that. For me I would love to see Hyypia and McAllister come on board at the club as coaches and maybe Thommo come back as assistant manager to help to integrate the new manager to the club.

Amazing the other day Hodgson had turned a corner. Soccer supporters are a funny old bunch.

Overall the players are not good enough. Poor central defenders, Torres not wanting to know etc. They are where they deserve to be, Capello wouldnā€™t have them any higher IMO, or anyone.

Coyle wonā€™t go there.

I think they have far better players for the most part thanthe likes of Stoke, Blackburn, Newcastle etc who are ahead of them, but they are still a bit off the top 5 due to lack of depthā€¦I said at the start of the season when they appointed hodgeson it would end in tears, after Benitez and his tactical/tecnical grip on the team they needed someoen who would bretahe a bit of life into them and take a far more positive outlook and approach, instead Liverpool got the opposite, a man who wants them to play percentage football and get men behind the ballā€¦doesnā€™t make a differnece who they get next as it is going to be a transition period for them for the next few seasons as you say some players look to have thrown the towel in and donā€™t careā€¦Although I must say the likes of agger have been badly treated by roy IMHO

Thatā€™s a pertinent point on Gerrard. His best position if off Torres. The problem with that as I see it is that it necessitates a 4-2-3-1 and I donā€™t think you get the best from Meireles as part of that 2. I think Liverpool need to find a playmaker and replace Lucas also. The first part is difficult, the second, not as difficult. Apart from that, Iā€™ve harped on about Liverpool not having good (pacy) wide options for a long time. Iā€™d welcome Ashley Young and Elia. A left back is also a must (Jose Enrique maybe?). Iā€™d favour benching Carragher, Kuyt and Cole - useful options from the bench but not good enough for starting berths imo. Iā€™d like to see Kelly get game time at centre half and Skrtel/Agger are capable but need to develop their potential. A capable replacement for Torres is also crucial.

Requilme as a deep lying playmaker maybe?

Bloody hell.

McAllister? The man causing rows at Aston Villa, the man sacked from all his other managerial roles.

Thommo? It sounds to me that you are looking back at the Houllier era as being a golden one - when it wasnā€™t.

Puke - why do you think Bilic wouldnt take it by the way? Isnt he out of management at the moment.

:lol:

Kuyt is definitely good enough to start I would have said.

Were you not saying that Kyrgiakos was one of the best defenders around a while back?

He was due to leave Croatia last summer but am lead to believe that he signed a new deal and is still their manager, doubt he would leave in teh middle of qualification to take the liverpool job

Yes, not sure if i said in the league or at Liverpool, but he was in good form in general. What happened him last night was ridiculous, and there was another recent incident. He was an attacking threat as well. Hasnā€™t he been out though for a period?

But anyway, its as a group, there has been a few really bad mistakes in recent weeks.

Indeed you did Pukey, unlike that cunt Rocko who said he would do a good job.

As well as the four or five excellent players, they also have a few very good young players coming through and I dont think it would take much for a new manager to get them back on track.

The amount of space they give teams this season is shocking. You can point at certain players all you want, but tacticlly they have been a shambles all season and that comes from the top. I think he needs to do the decent thing now and walk awayā€¦ he is clearly out of his depth.

Iā€™d leave Kenny and Sammy Lee at it till the end of season and not rush any appointment.

Farmer, I never said I would want McAllister as manager but as a coach or some similar who understands the club and the way the club plays. I noticed you skipped over my suggestion of Hyypia coming back as coach as well, but we wont say anything about that.

As for Thommo, no its not a hark back to the Houillier era, do you not remember how Thommo had the team performing while Houllier was out sick, we were challenging for the title at the time. The rot set in when Houllier came back and undid everything Thommo done just to reassert himself at the club.

Clarkey how does Coyle have the same credentials as Bilic? I think Coyle has done very well in his positions thus far but canā€™t for the life of me see how his record matches that of Bilic.

Credentials may have been the wrong word. Characteristics may have been more appropriate. It was in response to Puke saying that Bilic was a ā€œfresh and dynamic young managerā€. Coyle is too, was my point.

A managerial dream team of Kenny Dalglish and Diego Maradona is the only way to go as far as Iā€™m concerned.

How far off player of the year is Joe Cole at this stage?

And Farmer still thinks he is a quality player

What is Bilicā€™s record like at club level? Coming third in their piss easy qualification group last time was pretty poor.